Laminitics - shod or unshod

MagicMelon

Visit site
My boy had very serious laminitis many years ago now, he's never had it since but his hooves have always had that messy bit on the toe, especially on the fronts. He does get absesses, usually 1 or 2 a year. We've always kept him shod (just normally but with slightly wider web shoes) because our farrier thought it would help protect his feet and possibly stop nasty stuff getting up into his toe causing an absess.

He had a nail prick about 6 weeks ago so we took his hind shoes off to let it heal. I thought he might get a bit "footy" but he hasnt. So Im wondering if I should take his fronts off as well and leave him unshod? The farrier has since said "Ive only been shoeing him because you wanted it".... ummmmm..... no.......

Are other peoples laminitics shod or unshod?

Nailed

Visit site
demands on the horse.. as with everything.. personally i think mine would be shod.. hat because of a wider bearing surface and also to protect the strtched laminea on the toe.
If your horse is happy unshod.. try it.. they can always go back on.
ou x

TGM

Visit site
Depends totally on the individual horse or pony. Our old laminitic was always much more comfortable with front shoes on, but I have known of others that were better barefoot.

lucy245

Visit site
Really depends on the horse ( if the sole has dropped, pedal bone rotated etc etc etc)- did you farrier not give you any suggestions? I have 2 lammy cases, 1 is shod 1 is not, my farrier was very adamant about how they were treated ( I thought the unshod one needed shoes – he did not) – after all they are meant to be the experts. If your farrier is not very helpful with suggestions then I would look at getting a new one who will give you advice.

Lynz

New User
Visit site
I have a connemara that has had very bad laminitis in the past,we have had him for 2 yrs and so far so good.He is shod in front and unshod behind.We tried him unshod in front but he very quickly went lame and his soles bruised so we put them back on.We supplement him with formula4feet and since he has been on it his feet have improved no end,i recommend it for any horse prone to Lamimitis.

custard

Visit site
Mine is shod like yours, wide web in front and bare behind as the hinds are fine but xrays show his front feet are very flat. Is your chap still in work? Either way would keep the fronts shod for now then maybe have them off when the ground really softens up in the winter to give them a break

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
My lammi is shod on all fours, she didnt have backs on until the last shoeing for years, but due to the riding we are doing she needs it as it turns out, but she did well with just the fronts, she has special rolled edge shoes and seems happy enough