Laminitis again?

rvpeary

Visit site
Hi All,

My mare got diagnosed with mild lami in may 2012. She recovered well and has spent all winter and the start of spring out in the field during the day unmuzzled. We switched tot he summer field on the 1st may. She went out at night and everyother she was muzzled (so she had 2 nights muzzled and 2 unmuzzled) she came in on sunday morn lame in trot.
It is now Friday and she is just the same. She has been kept in on hay and no grass.Slight pule in one front leg (the lame one) sound in walk but lame in trot, better on a soft surface. Called the vet and he said its her lami again and she will come sound in 7-10 days. The farrier has also been up and said the same.
However there is something in my gut that says its not lami, she had no warning signs, no bounding pulse, no cresty neck, no shallow breathing or sweating and she is of a good weight (slightly under).

If she is no better after the weekend i am going to get the vet out but i just feel that no one is listening and they just say its her lami because she has had it before.

Does anybody have any other ideas as to what could be causing her lameness?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I don't understand why you would do two nights muzzled, then two nights unmuzzled - that's just asking for trouble. Surely she should be muzzled every night and given plenty of soaked hay during the day so that she gets enough forage?

Ruling out laminitis is wise, especially as both the Vet and Farrier who have seen her think that's what the problem is. Yes, it could be something else, but she isn't lame enough to warrant sending her off for a lameness work up at the moment, especially as laminitis is thought to be the problem. Treat her as a laminitic and then get the Vet back if she isn't recovering.

Merlin1979

Visit site
Lami is such a nightmare. Did vet come out and was she on bute? I had my lami pony on bute for 5 days after a mild attack. Again, I had no warning signs either, pony is ideal weight etc
I have no idea what else is could be but lami has been quite an issue this year and many people being caught out.
I would agree with previous poster regarding the muzzle. It really needs to be on all the time when at grass or they will gorge. Just bring her in off grass for a break from muzzle and off grass.
I have my lami guy on restricted grazing with my other mini shetland which works well, I give them hay in the field so always something to eat. Depends what your set up is and what you can do.
I think you need to treat your mare as if she has lami in the meantime. Good luck

rvpeary

Visit site
Thanks, will do. I alternated so it was every other night as because she had been out all winter and start of spring with no muzzle and on unsoaked haylage with no supplements i thought she was going to be ok. Obviously too optomistic and as always hindsight is a wonderful thing!!

Merlin1979

Visit site
I know how you feel. I had additional grazing in winter, was about to close it off when I got caught out!
A friend of mine that has managed lami successfully for years gave me the best advice, if in doubt muzzle. Or take of grass. I have not had much success with muzzle, got yet another on order. Need a mega small one for teeny shettie

rvpeary

Visit site
Thanks merlin, this makes me feel a little better, that yours had no warning signs either. I have statted her on bute today after vets advise but no he didnt come out, just advised over the phone. How long after you stopped the bute did yours come sound?

noblesteed

Visit site
It sounds like just a mild attack. The weather conditions are right for it. Mine had very slight pulses last week so I brought him in for a few days just to be on the safe side and he's now sound and back out in his muzzle. He had a week off work and is fine now, and vet checked him today when he had his routine jab and was happy. He's not fat, cresty or off-colour in any way, but it was a warning to me!
I know it's harsh but having dealt with it for a few years now I muzzle BEFORE the grass gets too good. As soon as I see any sign of grass glands. I leave the muzzle on all the time. My horse has learned to accept it and eats enough through it - it's a greenguard so has larger holes. The trouble with muzzling on and off is that they gorge on the muzzle-free days. I bring him in every day for a feed and a little muzzle-free time tho.

STRIKER

Visit site
Poss abscess, bruise, thrush, if not lami. Bute for 5 days then off and see if sound. Then still in for 7 days with soaked hay, if still sound then out with muzzle but i wouldnt turn out for 24/7, even short grass is full of sugar, i prefer to trust feeding hay

Last edited: