Laminitis and double cream

Sandstone1

Visit site
Anyone heard about using double cream to treat lamintic ponies?
Ive read about it but seems a bizarre thing to use but apparently people have had some success with it.

DirectorFury

Visit site
I thought the title was a typo!
After some googling this article has popped up but I have issues with the incredibly small sample size (2!!), lack of control group, etc. It's not something I'd bother with unless I was desperate or unless I can find a bigger study.

My main question would be what biological mechanism does the double cream work on/trigger? Unfortunately I am not a biologist!
@ester is more biology-y than me so might know.

Sandstone1

Visit site
It does sound a unlikely thing to do but ive read about it on a facebook group.
Seems like it may have helped some ponies.

naomibmck

Visit site
Yeah I’d be really careful with that, the author of the paper doesn’t even appear to have any veterinary qualifications

Nudibranch

Visit site
Does it have some basis in the keto type diets some people use for diabetes?

Seems a bit of a leap for horses though. 2 + 2 = 5 type thinking...

DirectorFury

Visit site
To expand on the paper and its publication venue:
I originally assumed that was just a repo for pre-prints/open access articles that have been published in proper journals. However, based on this pricing page, it's clear that this likely is a pay-to-publish type venue. I'd disregard it, personally.

SEL

Visit site
My trimmer was ranting over that article earlier in the week! She basically said that if you took a horse off grass and gave it soaked hay then of course it would start to improve - & apparently the double cream test did just that. So hardly a "proper" experiment.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
My trimmer was ranting over that article earlier in the week! She basically said that if you took a horse off grass and gave it soaked hay then of course it would start to improve - & apparently the double cream test did just that. So hardly a "proper" experiment.

Exactly SEL so many people rave about all these products/ideas but when its done in conjunction with everything else management/diet wise why cant they see its the management/diet that's made the difference not the bloody double cream - big sighhhhhhhhhhhh

SEL

Visit site
Exactly SEL so many people rave about all these products/ideas but when its done in conjunction with everything else management/diet wise why cant they see its the management/diet that's made the difference not the bloody double cream - big sighhhhhhhhhhhh

All I could think of when she was telling me was my two horses picking strawberries out of a pot with their cream......:p