Laminitis and subsequent complications

lynds45

New User
Visit site
hi, i know this is my first ever post and sorry not to have introduced myself first.
I am asking for advice that I am doing the right thing.
Sorry this is going to be long!
My horse is 23 and suffered his first laminitis attack, or so we thought, in early May this year.
Initially he was lame in one hind, vet thought it was an abscess, even nerve blocked him, but couldn't find any abscess.
Poulticed him for a couple of days but no sign of improvement. Next day he was shifting weight behind so called vet again and stabled him as looked like laminitis.
Vet confirmed laminitis but we thought we caught it quickly so stupidly didn't get xrays.
5 weeks on and he's still sore on that same hind, cushiings test negative.
Were going to have metabolic test but put it off due to pain and stress.
We were down to 1 bute every 3 days which seemed to keep him comfortable.
Suddenly he is absolutely hopping lame on the same foot, to the point of grunting when he moves. Vet discovers lots of bruising and also a seroma, which is still ongoing. Also thinks this isn't the first time he's had it, I am absolutely mortified that I wouldn't have noticed it, however mild. Soles are paper thin and soft and frogs are lifting up.
Xrays then taken. Both hinds show quite severe rotation and to my eye not far off the sole.
Vet thinks that we can manage it with bar shoes and hospital plates but it will take at least 6 months to a year before we can even consider turning him out for a short time.
He is 23, has been retired (from showjumping) for 8 years due to being blind in one eye and arthritic changes in his sacroiliac.
He is my horse of a lifetime and he means the world to me but I think its time to say goodbye. My vet seemed surprised at my decision but farrier agreed.
Hence this post, do I try a bit longer or am I doing the right thing? This is the hardest decision I've ever had to make.
I just need other perspectives. The vet is booked for Tuesday to do the deed :(

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
If someone else had written that post, how would you advise them?

A 23 year old horse with thin, soft soles and severe rotation which is possibly recurrent, who also has sacroiliac arthritis and must now be kept in for months?

You are absolutely doing the right thing, and you would know him better than anyone. I am very sorry that you are having to go through this.

lynds45

New User
Visit site
Thank you so much, I just keep going over and over in my head what to do.
He also has always hated being stabled but now he seems to have resigned himself to it which in itself is also sad ?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
If it were me I would pts I am very much of the mindset if the laminitis is mild with no rotation you have a chance, once they have rotation it really limits any sort recovery and due to his age and other problems I don't think it would be fair.

So sorry your going through this it is awful I know I have had 2 horses with laminitis and I lost both of them so know how it feels, please don't feel bad about it your doing the right thing.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
As heartbreaking as it is, I would be of the same mind as you. 6 months - a year is a long time for a 23 year old, and IMO extended box rest for an oldie will surely only cause additional problems such as worsening arthritis. I'm slightly surprised that your vet was surprised tbh.

I really feel for you though, these decisions are awful. You don't have to make this decision immediately thanks to the wonders of bute. Equally, I wouldn't recommend delaying the decision beyond a couple of weeks. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

fusspot

Visit site
So sorry to hear what you are going through,having been through the whole Laminitis rollercoaster twice,I totally understand where you are coming from.
I have a big mare that I bred and as beautiful as she is,was retired at the age of 6 due to genetic issues,I am fortunate to keep her as a field ornament at home but it has always been on the terms that if anything big goes wrong....I let her go.She isn’t insured and also would not tolerate box rest.
Yours sounds like it has other issues and to recover from the Lami they need to be stabled for a long time...if yours also doesn’t like it then the stress of being in won’t help the Lami and could potentially start in other feet...you already have this risk from transferring the weight to the other feet and causing stress laminitis.
At the moment my step dad is in the final hours/days for terminal cancer...only diagnosed a month ago...watching him deteriorate and suffer is awful...if any of us had the chance to let him go without suffering anymore...we would take it in a heartbeat.
You sound like a very sensible owner who is supported by your farrier and you know the horse better than anybody.If I was in your shoes I would be letting go before the horse suffers too much more...always better a day too early than a day too late.xx

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
hi, i know this is my first ever post and sorry not to have introduced myself first.
I am asking for advice that I am doing the right thing.
Sorry this is going to be long!
My horse is 23 and suffered his first laminitis attack, or so we thought, in early May this year.
Initially he was lame in one hind, vet thought it was an abscess, even nerve blocked him, but couldn't find any abscess.
Poulticed him for a couple of days but no sign of improvement. Next day he was shifting weight behind so called vet again and stabled him as looked like laminitis.
Vet confirmed laminitis but we thought we caught it quickly so stupidly didn't get xrays.
5 weeks on and he's still sore on that same hind, cushiings test negative.
Were going to have metabolic test but put it off due to pain and stress.
We were down to 1 bute every 3 days which seemed to keep him comfortable.
Suddenly he is absolutely hopping lame on the same foot, to the point of grunting when he moves. Vet discovers lots of bruising and also a seroma, which is still ongoing. Also thinks this isn't the first time he's had it, I am absolutely mortified that I wouldn't have noticed it, however mild. Soles are paper thin and soft and frogs are lifting up.
Xrays then taken. Both hinds show quite severe rotation and to my eye not far off the sole.
Vet thinks that we can manage it with bar shoes and hospital plates but it will take at least 6 months to a year before we can even consider turning him out for a short time.
He is 23, has been retired (from showjumping) for 8 years due to being blind in one eye and arthritic changes in his sacroiliac.
He is my horse of a lifetime and he means the world to me but I think its time to say goodbye. My vet seemed surprised at my decision but farrier agreed.
Hence this post, do I try a bit longer or am I doing the right thing? This is the hardest decision I've ever had to make.
I just need other perspectives. The vet is booked for Tuesday to do the deed :(

I am sorry you and your horse are in this position but I would pts on Tuesday.

I certainly wouldn't put a 23 yr old through 6 months (minimum) box-rest with no guarantees at the end of that time. It is a hard decision but the most responsible owners make the hardest decisions in the best interests of the horse. Keeping a horse in pain for a few extra weeks/months doesn't mean that you (one) love the horse more, it means that you (one) aren't very good at making difficult decisions.

alibali

Visit site
I'm sorry you're going through this. You know your horse and clearly have their best interest at heart. From your post it is clear that you will be making your decision based on what you feel is best for them and you should feel supported in that. I think some younger vets seem to have been educated in a way that encourages them to believe that every treatment avenue should be explored before an an animal is PTS. I don't blame them, they are young enthusiastic, idealistic and genuinely want to do what they perceive as their very best for the animal. I'm certainly not slating young vets who are often keen, enthusiastic, up to date with current techniques and often go the extra mile. Just sometimes they lack the pragmatism of knowing when to stop.

If you are worried regarding the vets reaction could you try speaking to another vet (perhaps older in the tooth if it's a more newly qualified vet you've been dealing with) from the same practice with specific questions regarding time frames for likely recovery, pain levels during treatment, likelihood of recovery, likely effect of box rest on other pre-existing conditions and (not least!) likely quality of life after recovery if treatment is successful. I think this will focus your and their minds and help confirm that you're making the correct decision. I did this with my horse (different condition) when I thought enough was enough and I shouldn't put him through any further treatment. I ended up treating as my perception about likely pain levels and recovery time turned out to be inflated but it would still have been useful if my decision had been to PTS. The vet I was speaking to was very experienced and was fully supportive of my decision either way once we had had the conversation and he realised that I was genuinely trying to make my decision based on the welfare of the horse.

I very much hope you manage to find peace with the decision you come to and that your horse is comfortable with treatment or pain free at rest.

PSD

Visit site

lynds45

New User
Visit site
Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply.
I know it is the right decision but it is so hard, especially when the bute is working and he doesn't seem in pain, but I know that this will be the best time to do it rather than wait till he's in more pain again.
Years ago I vowed never to put him through box rest as he was such a stress head in the stable and now he's already been subjected to 10 weeks of it!
Thank you to those who posted the link to the other thread, I spent nearly 2 hours reading all of it and was in tears, what a heartbreaking journey.

So he shall be turned out in a small paddock next to my other horse on Tuesday so he can enjoy one final day with the sun on his back and grass under his feet.

PSD

Visit site
I know it is the right decision but it is so hard, especially when the bute is working and he doesn't seem in pain, but I know that this will be the best time to do it rather than wait till he's in more pain again.
Years ago I vowed never to put him through box rest as he was such a stress head in the stable and now he's already been subjected to 10 weeks of it!
Thank you to those who posted the link to the other thread, I spent nearly 2 hours reading all of it and was in tears, what a heartbreaking journey.

So he shall be turned out in a small paddock next to my other horse on Tuesday so he can enjoy one final day with the sun on his back and grass under his feet.

that’s exactly how my girl had her last day. He will thank you for it, will be thinking of you

Orangehorse

Visit site

Hard for you, will be thinking of you.

I had a pony in a similar position, he was on maximum bute for his last couple of days. The man came to do the deed and my OH said "Oh the pony looks OK now, does he have to be PTS" Well it was well meant, but not what I needed right then.

PSD

Visit site
I hope your boy enjoys his time out in the paddock today.

it’s such a bittersweet moment, seeing them out being a horse after what they’ve been through, yet knowing the reasoning why is not because they’re better.

will be thinking of you

lynds45

New User
Visit site
thank you for all the support.
Fred went to rainbow bridge today in a very dignified manner. It was almost like he knew what was happening. When the vet arrived he made a point of going over and talking to my other horse and then just stood there for the vet without any stress and it was so peaceful.
He had been turned out for the day but seemed so at peace and I can't think of a better way for him to go.
We are lucky that they are at home and he is now buried where he was put to sleep, and we are going to fence that bit off and plant some trees.
I am in tears again writing this but I know that he is now pain free.
Thank you again for all the support

ITPersonnage

Visit site
Bless you for doing the right thing and putting him first, it hurts but in time you will know it was the right thing to do. They just leave such big holes don't they ? RIP Fred

PSD

Visit site
So sorry, but you gave him the best last day and he will be grateful. I know how awful it is to lose the battle with laminitis, please look after yourself xx

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
You have done such a good thing. I hope you feel a weight had been lifted off your shoulders.