Laminitis and Ventipulmin (with a side of box rest ideas?)

I'm Dun

Visit site
I would do the test anyway. Hopefully it comes back negative and you can relax a little bit. Lami is something I dont ever mess about withand if it is that if you know you can take preventative measures.

SEL

Visit site
My big mare blew one out of her coronet band and she wasn't abscess "broken leg" hopping just stiff. I just assumed it was one of her other many issues until I found the scabby bit.

Going ahead with the tests might give you peace of mind though.

Reactions: TPO

palo1

Visit site
Sorry to hear you are having this trouble @TPO. Could Chip have eaten something unusual to trigger lami? My understanding is that ventipulmin should be ok but as you know, inhaled or nebulised stuff (including steroids) are generally considered safer in relation to the risk of lami and that ventipulmin's effect decreases with use. Could the vet offer some inhaled stuff for the asthma whilst Chip is on box rest?

TPO

Visit site
Could Chip have eaten something unusual

Not that I'm aware of. He's other same grazing as the past 3.5yrs and out with the other 2 who are fine (including Fat Cob). He had been on the same feed for approx 5mths. Not impossible but unlikely.

I've spoken to vet about asthma but just to continue with increased ventipulmin doses and he can go outside for an hour or two if he doesn't move (so safely tied to gate with haynet while I muck out and faff about)

Hepsibah

Visit site
What prompted the vet to diagnose laminitis? The first thing I would have expected the vet to recommend is x-rays to see whether there had been any movement of the pedal bone which I would expect if it's endocrine related laminitis. There isn't really much you can do until you have that information, it informs the rehabilitation process.

TPO

Visit site
What prompted the vet to diagnose laminitis? The first thing I would have expected the vet to recommend is x-rays to see whether there had been any movement of the pedal bone which I would expect if it's endocrine related laminitis. There isn't really much you can do until you have that information, it informs the rehabilitation process.

Solely that he appeared (was) bilaterally lame/sore on his feet with no indications of anything else.

No strong pulse, no heat, no reaction to hoof testers, not overweight, no concussion trauma, no access to sugar/grass and fed low sugar/starch diet with unmolassed chaff.

In vets defence he has said several times that he's a bit stumped by it so definitely erring on the cautious side. His main worry is that there is damage to the laminae with this "laminitis" and any movement will cause (further) damage

There has been no mention of xrays but I had it in my head to ask for them. Vet is out next Tuesday to do glucose challenge and rth test.

I'm not saying it wasn't but lami seems so strange to me. He was fine a day later BUT he was getting bute and L94 from Trinity Consultants so thst might be why rather than him actually being fine iykwim?

TPO

Visit site
I've just been through exactly this with one of mine I.e sore feet but no lami symptoms. Xrays revealed very thin soles to be the cause.

See I get that but I don't get incoming out of nowhere and being OK (albeit with bute) the next day?

Did your go sound quickly with bute?

I also dont get the thin soles either so have looked out my hoof books! ?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Also probably clutching at straws but tonight I found a crusty hole on the top of his off fore lateral heel bulb. It was out the hairy bit at the top (technical terminology) well above the cornet band. Could that be an abscess exit point?

In my experience of leaving them to pop at the heel, the hole is usually just below the hair line.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I've just been through exactly this with one of mine I.e sore feet but no lami symptoms. Xrays revealed very thin soles to be the cause.

Same here about 2 years ago Arabi presented very lame on near side front vet suspected lami, kept him in on bute and within 4 days was sound we x rayed and only thing to see was very thin soles.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Anyone any experience of giving a lami horse ventipulmin or any contradictions to doing so?

My horse just went suddenly pottery so vet out and lami diagnosed. No obvious cause or trigger for it, no heat or pulses.

Horse to be box rested for 2wks then vet back out to do TRH test and glucose challenge and possibly another week of box rest. Vets best guess is that horse has some form of insulin disregulation going on but as he's only 9 he's quite young for it (although he's seen it in younger horses).

Horse has mild asthma and was stabled overnight. He was getting approx 1/4 scoop of ventipulmin as maintenance. Being in 24/7 will trigger his asthma. He already has dust extracted bedding, dampened hay and he's stabled beside barn doors which will be left open while he's in, barn also has ventilated cladding on both long sides. Vet said because we don't know what has caused the lami he's unsure if I should continue with ventipulmin right now.

Obviously I'll see how horse fares and will contact vet with any concerns but was just wondering if anyone had first hand experience of a respiratory compromised horse having lami and medication?

Also any ideas to entertain a lami horse who has never box rested before? My usual involves hiding carrots and snack balls but guessing that's not ideal for a lami horse who may have insulin issues.

TIA
Sorry old post but I am currently giving my horse ventipulmin and having no issues.