Laminitis because of going barefoot....

Goldenstar

Visit site
What are you balancing to, though? You may be creating the perfect balance in the foot, but unless every joint in the horses skeleton above that foot is perfect, that may not be the optimum foot balance for that leg.

I have the same objective as you. Soundness for life, not just for now.

That's what I mean when say it's a difficult judgement it's a job for the Physio vet trimmer and or farrier to decide based on what you see going on .

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Laminitis simply refers to inflammaiton of a laminiae- and certainly bruising will cause it - so if the pony was sore and brusied laminitis most definitely might occur - there is a perception in the barefoot world that being barefoot stops laminitis in its tracks - this is not correct! The vet is correct that the horse needs to not work on a bruised foot without protection or until it is healed.

I'm not aware of anyone who thinks that either. Well I lie, I do know of one group on facebook that bangs on about it but I would also say they are outwith the mainstream and they wouldn't be coming within 10 miles of my horse with a rasp.

OP I think your vet is right to mention that it might be but that with the current evidence so far cannot say for definite. I say they are right to mention it because I think it is always better to err on the side of caution. It's tricky when you don't know how much was taken off too. How long is box rest planned for? why waiting to xray until after box rest?

My farrier didn't want to do our transition but does trim him currently - for a few reasons, mostly that I am 200+ miles away. He likes to dress unnecessarily high up for my likeing but leaves everything else alone so he is permitted to continue currently.

The Snowman

Visit site
OP I think your vet is right to mention that it might be but that with the current evidence so far cannot say for definite. I say they are right to mention it because I think it is always better to err on the side of caution. It's tricky when you don't know how much was taken off too. How long is box rest planned for? why waiting to xray until after box rest?

Yes and having spoken to a barefoot trimmer he seems to agree that the vet is right in saying that it could be laminitis and is quite likely to be, but more due to the trim than any other factor. Box rest is for 2 weeks with bute every day. The vet said that if no improvement then will go another couple of weeks then xray.. she didn't say why there was a need to wait, but it seems that she wants to wait until some improvement is shown first?

paddy555

Visit site
Why not just let the horse tell you?

I am agree with you. If the human balances and the horse wants differently the feet will immediately start to rebalance to the horse's requirements so even if they were balanced by X ray then I cannot see after the first week they are still going to be balanced in the way the human intended. After 6 weeks before the next trim they will be way out. If they are unbalanced due to issues higher up then even if these are resolved (by a physio/chiro) they often don't stay corrected.
The problem for me would be if the feet were rebalanced to the human's specs rather than the horse's would it then either adjust elsewhere to compensate or be unable to and become less comfortable and sound.
Finally every horse cannot be x rayed for balance everytime it is trimmed so balance is something for the most part based on the farrier's eye and experience. People see things differently so one person's balanced may not be anothers. Even different chiro/physios see things differently.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Why not just let the horse tell you?

The horse is not a medical professional and I don't accept that imbalance produced by the horses way of going are not in some cases very damaging to the horses long term soundness .

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Laminitis can be hidded by shoes.
But when a horse is barefoot, you notice it sooner because the horse is using the food as it is meant too.
Slight separation of the white line and cause soreness/lameness and again would be hidden for longer when a horse wears shoes.

Although you said you horse was fine to start maybe you did too much, maybe the trim was to severe and maybe the diet needs adjusting..

And again it was noticed sooner than if the horse was wearing shoes rather than being caused by it.