Laminitis question

pistolpete

Visit site
Friends lami pony had the farrier today who is ringing the vet as he had some fluid oozing from sole. Doesn’t sound good. Farrier said fluid does build up sometimes. Anyone heard of this? Vets just said re X-ray but she’s running low on funds sadly.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
It doesn’t sound very promising unless pony has an abscess but funds or not the only way to see what’s going on inside is to X-ray. If there is severe rotation with no way back it might mean PTS is the kinder option and personally I would rather know if it was my laminitic pony. When I had B’s xrays done 3 years ago they were £100 and I had my Farrier there at the same time so he could view the xrays and talk to the vet in person. Pony was then shod according to the angle of the pedal bone which was absolutely fine but had I not done it Alex would have had nothing to go on.

I hope it’s a good outcome for your friend but I agree with vet, an X-ray is needed.

pistolpete

Visit site
Yep I’d have rads done too it’s so sad he’s been in a grassless pen since Easter Sunday. Loads of straw underfoot but he’s eaten it too. He has lost weight and been so brave about it. I really feel for her and him.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Yep I’d have rads done too it’s so sad he’s been in a grassless pen since Easter Sunday. Loads of straw underfoot but he’s eaten it too. He has lost weight and been so brave about it. I really feel for her and him.

I’m so sorry, when there no grass involved it’s even more worrisome that there’s something else underlying going on.

Boulty

Visit site
My friend's laminitic horse had this, think it can be a sort of sterile sub solar abscess type thing / a result of bruising. If horse is comfortable & she can't afford to re x-ray then I guess see how it goes? I think my friend's horse had this (horse still with us but has a hell of a long recovery) so will ask her how

pistolpete

Visit site
My friend's laminitic horse had this, think it can be a sort of sterile sub solar abscess type thing / a result of bruising. If horse is comfortable & she can't afford to re x-ray then I guess see how it goes? I think my friend's horse had this (horse still with us but has a hell of a long recovery) so will ask her how
Thanks. He’s not looking great to be honest. Not sure if it’s true but seems smaller ponies do better than horses with this wretched condition.

Boulty

Visit site
My friend has gotten back to me & says their farrier did just put it down to the necrotic tissue from the dead laminae. Don't think she x-rayed at that precise time as believe her vet struggled to get hold of a mobile x-ray unit as it involved nicking it from the small animal side of the business. Fluid from hers was blood tinged but not smelly / infected. She cleaned it daily with iodine until the sole began to firm up again (she has a lot of issues at one point with him having "soft spots" is how she put it in his soles but it did improve as his new hoof capsule grew in & didn't seem to cause long term problems)

pistolpete

Visit site
Wow that’s fab thank you. Long term management has to be embraced and I’m seriously worried my friend doesn’t have the time or the money. It’s so sad.

SEL

Visit site
If the vet is pragmatic about X rays they can just do one per foot - that's what the vet did for a pony on my old yard where the owners were fast running out of money. That one was on a straw bed for months and personally I think it was a change in farrier that saved her

Britestar

Visit site
Sub solar abcess. More often than not, the sole will shed, and thats it sorted.
My ex laminitic did this on both back feet. Not the most pleasant thing to see, but he was fine.

Glitterandrainbows

Visit site
I seen one like this and it was a abbcess farrier gave her a really good trim and she stayed in for weeks on a diet as she had lami too Pony’s fine now so there is hope think it’s took a long time of careful management but after not rigging over winter and been in work she’s not had any lami this year

meleeka

Visit site
I agree, sometimes it isn’t possible.

And it’s a wise and caring owner who recognises this, and puts an end to the misery. Condolences to your friend.
I read on FB the other day about one that is ‘recovering’ but can’t actually spend more than a short time standing each day. It broke my heart, poor thing :(

OP sorry to read this update and condolences to your friend.