Laminitis Rant.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Sorry was distracted by my future husband on the tv :D.....what i meant was you wont have me complaining about you posting things too BF militant.....i like learning about other things. Xx

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Well said all of you - Lintel, that is no way to manage even 'suspected possible but probably not' laminitis!

NO grass, deep shavings bed and keep him inside as quiet as possible. And get him tested like Oberon suggested. Jeez.

ponypilotmum

Visit site
I'm slightly concerned that you seem to find this mildly amusing? I agree with cptrayes re laminitis showing early symptoms as one of mine has symptoms a week or so before an attack.

Of course, the best thing anyone can do for their horse is to not let it get fat in the first place.

Yes, I know other things cause laminitis.... :rolleyes:

When one of mine got laminitis, many years ago, someone was harsh with me... so bl@@dy harsh they made me cry. Not alot makes me cry but being told by someone much more experienced than me that I was a cruel evil person for allowing that pony to get fat really hit home. I'd made all the excuses under the sun as to why he was fat, but the buck stopped with me and that animal was kept in a cow shed (so he could move and thus exercise) and I was there on the hour every hour.... feeding him a handful of soaked hay until he was better. Try it yourself, you'll never let it get fat again, I promise :)

There is absolutely no excuse on this earth for a fat animal.

Oberon

Visit site
Sorry was distracted by my future husband on the tv :D.....what i meant was you wont have me complaining about you posting things too BF militant.....i like learning about other things. Xx

Yes - but they say things like "Shoes should be made illegal." etc.....

Stuff that makes even me blush
lol.gif

I wouldn't want anyone thinking I was endorsing such beliefs by posting their vids ;)

Kaylum

Visit site
What do you know or do about field management? Most owners know very little. They don't understand even the basics, this is why horses can get laminitis as the field is not looked after or even planted with the correct plants. For example rye grass is so full of sugar, people don't poo pick any more, they chain harrow. It understanding the impact of this on a field. it makes the already planted rye grass far to rich for horses to graze on.

The meadow is your friend, I am currently doing research on meadow management and so far the results are not good. The lack of knowledge from feed companies is amazing, as the questions I have asked about nutrition in the field have been skirted round. It seems these experts are taught nothing about the meadow.

I am writing a paper on this and will publish it when it's done, hopefully it will be helpful to others.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
@fii and littlelegs

The vet and farrier are coming a week today- and I've had a decent amount of experience(sadly!) not just with mine(thankfully!) :p

In which case you'll know that laminitis (just like colic) should be treated as an emergency. And that experience will also tell you that you don't wait to get the vet out.

bensababy

Visit site
What i find most disturbing is the fact you do not seem to be taking it seriously..suspected Laminitis is serious, and putting it back out on grass, then to say you will starve it after being out as you cannot get hold of the owner to leave it in.. is this a joke?

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
In which case you'll know that laminitis (just like colic) should be treated as an emergency. And that experience will also tell you that you don't wait to get the vet out.

^^^This - OP please do not wait to get the vet, your pony might need pain relief sooner rather than later

kal40

Visit site
I hope the lack of response from the OP means that they are busy taking action and not that they are ignoring the replies here.

I had hoped to come back to a post saying vet been, pony on box rest, diet modified.

It is no good coming on here ranting about something that you can deal with.

Cuffey

Visit site
Sorry no time to read whole thread
In now deep shavings bed
Feel for digital pulses--google if you dont know how
Talk to vet if pulses are racing
Cut out the garlic--feed Yea-sac to optimise hind gut digestion in a little low sugar beet pulp or chop along with Danilon from vet or as prescribed by vet

Soak hay and feed in double or small hole net
Weigh hay, feed 1.5% of body weight--use weigh tape

canteron

Visit site
OP, I know how difficult it is to judge when the grass is coming through at the moment and getting it right is almost impossible. I have a retired laminitic who quality of life is all important. For what they are worth, here are my hints.

1. If the horse is habilitually laminitic/has abcesses, have it tested for cushings. If it is cushings the tablets are pretty magical and makes caring for the horse much easier.

2. My horse goes puffy by the temples and below the eyes if he is getting laminitic. I check these every day. I also walk him over a bit of gravel (he is barefoot as retired) every day and as soon as he is even a little bit footy, then I take preventative action.

3. Weight is king for laminitics. If he is carrying extra weight, then it is going to make it harder to control. They particularly carry weight on their bums and necks, so when you can up the work if you can!

Good luck.