Laminitis

_HP_

Visit site
Spoke to my vet this morning and he said as she will only be having a total of three or four doses over the week, the risk is very low and he's only seen two cases of laminitis with this, where the horses were on it for much longer. I'm going to keep a close eye on her and if there is any sign of lameness I'll stop the steroids.

I'm still a bit worried but my mind is more at ease than it was before. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I would just keep a close eye and treat as a Laminitic. I expect that those horses affected were probably more susceptible to Laminitis to start with.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I know if your horse has an underlying condition like cushings or ems vets will recommend you don't give them steroids as there is an increased risk of getting laminitis, my horse had an injury that they wanted to put steroid in she was already borderline cushings so they tested her for ems and cushings again before they even considered giving them to her unfortunately she was positive for both so they said no way.

As long as you don't suspect she has either condition I would not be too worried of course there is a risk but most drugs come with a risk and they may be your only solution to treat the condition.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Keep a very close eye on your horse but otherwise proceed with the treatment. If the steroids cause laminitis, you can stop that treatment immediately before any lasting damage.

Fiona

Visit site
Our mare had steroids to treat a rash without incident. ..

Now if it flares up she gets piriton as that was a safer longer term option.

If your vet is happy with the low dose then thats reassuring. .