Laminitus - help needed please!!

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Why has he had no hay? This is the most important thing for him - soak it for 12 hours to leach out the nutrients and give him as much as he will eat. Has he been tested for Cushings? TBH he is displaying several symptoms. If he does not even want to stand to eat, you have to question why the kindest thing has not been done for the poor lad.

emc1

Visit site
"Why has he had no hay?"

I have tried four different batches of last years hay and all made him very poorly. I tried soaking for 24hrs before feeding but there was no improvement. I was told that HIFI lite and Happy Hoof were lower starch feeds than hay and therefore used these instead.

Skhosu

Visit site
Once they won't get up, I believe that is when it is time to consider saying goodbye.
We had a horse a few months ago that coliced and went down, and we knew it was bad because he would not get up.
Eventually, we hauledhim to his feet, but he ended up being PTS. Not laminitis I know, but no improvement after so long?
Have you got second opinions etc?
Sorry...
Hoping for the best, let us know how you get on.

Tia

Visit site
I don't think Sirena realised that you were using Hifi Lite as a hay replacer.

I used Hifi Lite as a hay replacer also with my pony and the change in her was very quick - it hasn't made any difference to your pony sadly, which is why I would be wondering whether enough is enough now. Such a difficult time and I really do feel awful for you......and your poor pony
frown.gif

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Ahhh I see, sorry yes I did not read your post properly.

I am so sorry for both you and your pony, it is a terrible time for you. Probably not what you want to hear, but you have tried your best and done everything you possibly could - is it not time to make that decision? I know it's not easy and God I would hate to be in your position right now.

Gingernags

Visit site
The thick coat, sweating and drinking so much is screaming "Cushings" really isn't it? Why did you change to straw by the way? Its better to have a really deep shavings bed as its much more supportive.

TBH I'd get a second opinion, doesn't look like your vets are doing the best they can for the pony, there should have been some improvement by now with what you are doing, there must be something else causing this to go on so long and Cushings seems the obvious answer...

I hope you turn a corner soon x

emc1

Visit site
Update - Vet has been this morning and it is obvious to him that pony has Cushings. He has given me some cream to rub on his fetlocks that acts as a nerve block, it has to be applied four times a day and should make him more comfortable.
They are going to do a Venogram (dye injected into foot then xrays done) on weds and said that if this shows that if there are areas of poor or no circulation then he says the outlook is very bleak.
In the meantime we are continuing with acp and bute.

Gingernags

Visit site
There are tablets to control cushings, you may find they help if you can push your vet into a proper diagnosis and give the pony a set time to see an improvement. If not and nothing is helping, I really feel for you but there may only be one option less.

I hope it doesn't come to that.

gate

New User
Visit site
hi sorry for you and your poorly pony i had the same problem with my section c.you must put him on hay and water no hard feed at all or treats at least 6ins straw bedding his frogs should be packed out with a rubber compound to take the weight off his hoof bute as needed ask your vet for dosage run cold water over his feet to take the heat out or put feet in buckets of cold water with ice if pos