lamitis advice

ALEXCOSSIE

Visit site
hi guys, this is my first time dealing hand on with a laminitic horse during an attack. We are now at the point where she had been on box rest due to an abscess for 2 weeks abscess cleared up, out for a couple of days them brought back on box rest due to one lamaintic front foot. Vet attended advised box rest whil giving bute once of the but turn out for 30 minutes and work the time up, when advised to do this it was a short time scale before turning out (appx 4 weeks) we've looked at it and turned out after 6/7 weeks for very short periods of time. she has been on a deep bed and soaked hay, she is now comfortable moving in the field and the hard ground to her stable even trys to throw in a wee trot and give me a hard attack). My question is what do I do next, she's turned out for an hour or so max just now but the vet seems to be going too quick for recovery than what I expected and it worries me shell do too much too soon. I don't want to over or under do it what has worked best for you guys and what did you look out for before leaving out/ bringing into work ect. I know each case is different but im just looking for advice/pointer.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
For a horse with laminitis 2 weeks box rest is not long enough to be off the grass, in my view I wouldn't put the horse out at all and change vets, most horses with laminitis take months to heal and they should be in on a deep bed to prevent further damage to the feet as they are compromised.

Have you had x rays done?

ALEXCOSSIE

Visit site
For a horse with laminitis 2 weeks box rest is not long enough to be off the grass, in my view I wouldn't put the horse out at all and change vets, most horses with laminitis take months to heal and they should be in on a deep bed to prevent further damage to the feet as they are compromised.

Have you had x rays done?

2 weeks was for the abscess then out for a couple days then in for about 7 before she got out. vet hasn't done x-rays as he doesn't see any signs of rotation (baffles me how hes got x-ray vision) and shot down my questioning of Cushing's believe me vet will be changed asap its just finding another local vet in the area that will take us on. and she was on a deep bed for the total of 9 weeks rubber mats and a good few inches of straw bedding.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think you have made a good choice no way can you tell if there is rotation or not without an x ray and I think a cushings test is a good idea, if she is sound I would turn out for short periods and keep an eye on the digital pulse and any footiness.

One if my horses was very lame on one foot vet was baffled but told me to treat like lami, he went sound within days so didn't think it was but we x rayed anyway and there was no signs of laminitis I also tested for cushings and ems, turns out his got very bruised soles and his feet are breaking up.

But it's always best to be cautious if your not sure as you never know, I would get another vet to have a look and definitely do some x rays.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
YOur vet should really have advised you to make a deep *shavings* bed rather than straw, as it is more supportive. it doesn't sound as if it matters now but that is another black mark against him. I would definitely change vets.

ALEXCOSSIE

Visit site
yeah we did ask about it he said as long as it was deep enough it'd be fine but I was worried about her tripping I don't know if im just too paranoid!!
x-rays are definitely on the lest but after a week or 2 we had and still haven't had any digital pulse, noticeable bruising at the toe or apex of the frog, or any abnormal heat. I just want to be super cautious as we have no true idea how extensive it is until we can find someone to do x-rays for us ! The vet belives it was due to her compensating for her abcess she developed laminitis in that one foot !

Pinkvboots

Visit site
yeah we did ask about it he said as long as it was deep enough it'd be fine but I was worried about her tripping I don't know if im just too paranoid!!
x-rays are definitely on the lest but after a week or 2 we had and still haven't had any digital pulse, noticeable bruising at the toe or apex of the frog, or any abnormal heat. I just want to be super cautious as we have no true idea how extensive it is until we can find someone to do x-rays for us ! The vet belives it was due to her compensating for her abcess she developed laminitis in that one foot !

It is possible it is a good idea to pad the good foot if they are not weight bearing on the other one to prevent things like laminitis or bruising , another thing your vet potentially missed! I hope you manage to get some x rays soon.

ALEXCOSSIE

Visit site
sorry guys my mistake I mean we haven't had any bruising shes completely fine that was I meant theres no bruising, no change in the sole, no abnormal heat, I mean looking at her you can see shes slightly stiff but loosens up quite quick. we have farrier and vet coming out over the next couple of weeks to get a second opinion finally !!

only_me

Visit site
The farrier will prefer to have xrays before shoeing as he can then match the wedges/gels (if needed) to any rotation that may have happened.
Good to have a starting point anyway so if something happens in future you have a comparison point.