Lancashire Heeler

Matafleur

Visit site
Does anyone own or have any information on this breed?

We had our lovely Australian Shepherd put down a couple of months ago now (cancer) and I'm now considering another dog. I absolutely love the Aussies but our house is very small and to be honest I am enjoying not having mud and dog hair everywhere all the time! We have a working a farm and so the small house wasn't a problem for the aussie (after 8-10 hours work he was happy just to sleep, finally!) but it was a nightmare in winter with either wet dog or muddy dog!

So I have decided that this time we will have a small dog but I am very limited as I just don't like terriers. I do really like the pugs but I am just not willing to take the risk due to the large number of puppy farmers breeding these and also the numerous health problems. So one of the other breeds I have seen is the Lancashire Heeler. It does sound like this breed may suit us but I don't think I have ever come across them in the flesh.

We have cattle, sheep, chickens, horses etc, a small child (3 yrs old), I work full time but often from home and my husband works on the farm. I need a dog that is tough/sturdy enough to come out with me to do the horses or walk round a xc course but this time I don't want something with a massively high work drive or that needs 8 hours exercise a day. I have had several working breeds previously and have shown, competed obedience and agility etc so I'm not a numpty but I would like a lower maintenance dof this time! Less hair is also a requirement this time!

So tell me about your Heelers or recommend another small breed :) Thanks

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Dobiegirl does indeed have a heeler, as does my daughter . Ours does agility and flyball but is also very happy to be a couch potato. They are quite strong willed little dogs and do need to be treated as dogs not fluffy toys . He doesn't moult much and is pretty easy to dry off after walks , well compared to my 2 GSDs anyway 😉.
You sound as if you could offer the sort of home a heeler would thrive in . 😀

Leo Walker

Visit site
Not what you asked, but I have a whippet. He can be literally plastered in mud and filth and it just drops off. His coat is so short and shiny that he is never wet or dirty. We can take him swimming and within 10 mins or so hes dry. And contrary to popular belief they are pretty easy to stock break. And mine will happily fell walk for 5 hours, or just have a 30 min blast then sleep all day. Hes a big whippet, probably crossed with something else as hes a working bred whippet and 16/17kgs and 22"TTTs but still small enough to pick up or to squash himself on my knee. He adores kids. When I have my niece for the weekend and she goes home he actually pines for her.

I always had springers and setters until I got him and I will never be without a whippety type dog again. I adore the bones of him! He has such a happy, sunny nature. He loves everyone and everything he meets. He just likes people and likes to be around them. Hes done work with my grandparents dog aggressive dog as hes so placid.

I've got another dog, probably whippet x collie with a bit of saluki. The collie makes her easier to train as she wants to please people. Shes still only 21"TTS and about 16kgs so not a big dog. They both curl up smaller than a cat. Also lovely natured despite some horrific abuse in her past, and another one who adores kids and seeks them out. Theres not many dogs that I would let a 2yr old child pat and fuss without any worries, but while I keep an eye on it, both of mine are amazing with kids :)

I'll stop going on now :lol: I just absolutely adore them and cant believe its only been the past 4yrs I've known properly about whippety lurchers. Its been an absolute revelation, and both of mine are rescues with issues from that. If I'd had the from puppies there would be no hang ups, although saying that, both are fabulous dogs now as they are just so forgiving and loving :)

EDITED TO SAY they dont seem to shed either, I assume they do, but we dont notice, although we do notice the cat hair

Last edited:

Dobiegirl

Visit site
They are amazing little dogs, Im on our 3rd one now and she compliments my Dobes very well. They can herd cattle,sheep are excellent house dogs who will alert you to anyone calling at your door. My daughter previous boyfriend used to take our Pip shooting and she would retrieve from the thickest hedge anything he shot. They are also excellent ratters and mousers.

They do have a double coat but dont need a lot of grooming, ours never seem to get muddy as they are light on their feet, if you are interested I can put you in touch with a fb group which has ethical health testing breeders on it and you can ask away as many questions as you like and there are loads of photos of members with their dogs. Just pm me with your fb profile and I will befriend you and add you to the group.

Matafleur

Visit site
FrankieCob, thanks for your reply, whippets are lovely but I look at their little delicately boned legs and I fear for them on the farm!

Dobiegirl, thanks for commenting, I think I am a member of the facebook group already but there doesn't seem to be a great deal of movement on it. I will pm you my profile anyway in case there is a different one. I know that Jayne Holligan who also has aussies is now breeding the occasional litter of Heelers (although I have just missed her last litter) so I did think that they must be big little dogs if you know what I mean?

Dobiegirl

Visit site
They are most definitely big little dogs lol, most of the owners have big breeds,GSD,Rotties, Dobes and one even has a Marerma (sp) sheepdog.

You are not that far from the breeder who bred ours, she is in Worcs.

Matafleur

Visit site
They are most definitely big little dogs lol, most of the owners have big breeds,GSD,Rotties, Dobes and one even has a Marerma (sp) sheepdog.

You are not that far from the breeder who bred ours, she is in Worcs.

Oh brilliant, I'm guessing they are a fairly consistent type as a breed and haven't split to a show/working type at all?

Thistle

Visit site
Another that may suit is a Corgi, originally bred to heel cattle, so guessing similar to the Lancs. I personally prefer the Cardigan Corgi as they aren't as extensively bred. Both types are getting rarer though.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Oh brilliant, I'm guessing they are a fairly consistent type as a breed and haven't split to a show/working type at all?

There is a bit of variety in type , there are a few show dogs that are a little too deep in the body/short in the legs for my personal preference, but there as there are not too many about I think it is understandable for a difference in breed type. Most do seem to have the right attitude though, as Dobiegirl says they are definitely big little dogs. Pickle is our second heeler, we had our first when my daughter was 3 years old so from my experience great with young children.