Land change of use agricultural to equestrian?

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Just a swift question, what qualifies a change of use of land from ag to equestrian? One horse kept on land? Five horses? Temporary electric tape paddocks or permanent post and rail? Buildings? Horses grazed there 6 months of the year or all year round? Any info gratefully recieved, thanks.

Cahill

Visit site
it is my opinion that you do not need to change use to equestrian from agricultural if you want to the graze horses on the land.but technically if you are buying in forage from another source you do.
the planning dept will tell you to submit an application because they will want your fee
frown.gif

pottamus

Visit site
Also you need the change of use if the horse(s) in the field are used as leisure horses i.e ridden.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
OK, thank you. These horses are just grazed for 6 months a year on the land, through the summer, so there's no hay brought in, there are no buildings and only temporary electric tape. Would it help to avoid change of use, do you think, if there were a couple of sheep in with the horses?

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
OK, thank you. These horses are just grazed for 6 months a year on the land, through the summer, so there's no hay brought in, there are no buildings and only temporary electric tape. Would it help to avoid change of use, do you think, if there were a couple of sheep in with the horses?

[/ QUOTE ]
It would definitely help to have other livestock on the land, but in your circumstances you shouldn't need th change of use anyway.

xena_wales

Visit site
QR
Are there any benefits to having your land designated as equestrian? I heard you have to pay rates on the land once it becomes equestrian - is that true? My land is currently agricultural, and we've not been told to change it yet... should I leave it as it is?

(Sorry I can't answer your questions OP, I know less about it than you!)

Hedgehunter

Visit site
Probably not politically correct but I would not worry too much if you are just grazing, if buildings become involved then it is a different ball game. If the council follow it up you could apply for change of use retrospectively.

Really depends on location and how finicky your council is. There are plenty of horses being put on any old bit of land without the owner's permission ,let alone the councils!

HH

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Wihin planning law agricultural fields that have horses on them that are just used for farm work, breeding and are not fed do not require change of use from agricultural to equestrian use.

Fields that have horses on them that are fed (including hay), ridden or used for any other equestrian use require change of use from agricultural to equestrian.

pixie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Wihin planning law agricultural fields that have horses on them that are just used for farm work, breeding and are not fed do not require change of use from agricultural to equestrian use.

Fields that have horses on them that are fed (including hay), ridden or used for any other equestrian use require change of use from agricultural to equestrian.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if farm animals are also kept in the same fields, and the buildings are turned into generic shelters, ie could be used for horses or cows?