Landrover Freelander

ExpressPrincess

Visit site
I’m looking to buy a second hand Freelander but have heard a lot of rumours & stories about engine problems with especially with certain model engines anyone know which ones to avoid or any other advice?

becca27

Visit site
I bought a second hand freelander a year ago and I was told to avoid petrol (get diesel instead) - I think petrol does about 20 miles to the gallon and diesel does about 32. And don't get a 1.8 as apparently those are the ones that break! I think those are the 2 main things... good luck!

mmel001

Visit site
I was thinking about getting one but only because I wanted to tow, the guidelines for towing however are that you don't exceed 85% of towing capacity which wouldn't be enough for my horse plus an Ifor 505

Last edited:

Clannad48

Visit site
I have an older (v) Freelander 1.8 petrol - its a really good car and I haven't had any trouble with the engine (apart from when the AA told me the fuel pump had gone - but it was only the rotor arm !!!) I wouldn't tow with a 1.8 petrol - it just doesn't have enough 'grunt' our local Ifor Williams dealer suggested a 2.0 turbo diesel if you are going to tow a single horse in a lightweight trailer - most of the new Ifors weigh about 1000kg and the Landy can tow up to 2000kg depending on the engine. Personally I would prefer something a little bigger engine wise.

Kaylum

Visit site
Dad bought an older one and head gasket went on it. Was also told to get a diesel not a petrol.

Laur

Visit site
My dad has got a 2004 2.0tdi and its the most unreliable car he has had. Fortunately his company pays for the repairs as its cost over £6000 to repair in the last few years alone. The parts are very expensive on them and they can really only tow one horse as the engine hasnt got enough power. It is NOT mechanically sound at all and being a company vehicle it has had frequent services. Only on about 88k miles too! Thankfully we also have a disco for the towing!

FayeFriesian

Visit site
we have a discovery... Lots has gone wrong with it. Luckily its under warrenty with Landrover. Its only done 40k.

Id personally get a KIA, they're much cheaper and ive heard very few people having problems, their customer service also sounds better, LR dont seem bothered about you unless you have a Range Rover for 60k!

We paid alot for our car, because my hubby didnt want a "kia", but now, I do think he'd swap having all the trouble weve had with landrover.

dalesue

New User
Visit site
hi my hubby is a time served diseal fitter so i take my recomendations from him. he does not like certain freelanders due to engine problems. his choice for mpg and reliability is a diseal on a 99 plate upwards. thats just our opinion on them jeeps. if i were gettin a 4x4 from past experience id go for a td3 or 4 discovery of a tdi longwheelbase isuzu trooper. had both jeeps and can highly recomend them.

happy buying and hope this helps :)

ExpressPrincess

Visit site
Thanks for everything so far guys, all very good to know. All we want is a fairly economical 4x4 for everyday driving (as we only have 1 car in the family) But it will need to be able to tow a Ifor 401 with 1 x 15.1hh TB mare who weighs about 450kg (just for 6/12 local outings a year). We only have a small budget £2000-£3000, car would be preferably diesel with no more than 110k miles on the clock. Landrover Freelanders seem to tick all the boxes and come in under budget, however the mechanical horror stories are putting us off! Anyone know of anything else that might be suitable and would fit the bill?

Mimi2610

Visit site
My dad gets them through work and is now on his fourth one which is the newest model and a diesel. It's now just 3 years old with 100k on the clock and is has been nothing but trouble, always in the garage. My saddle fitter had one that had problem after problem. The 3 before that have been very good though. Don't buy Discovery as VERY expensive as every day car!

What about Isuzu Trooper or a Toyota double cab pick up or a Volvo estate? All been very good for us although the Trooper engines did tend to blow up for some but we never had a prob, very good to tow with as well.

dizzyf

Visit site
I had a 52 plate Kalahari, 1.8 petrol. Broke down on the motorway at least twice in the 4 years I had it

cm2581

Visit site
What do you need to tow weight wise? And do you need a 4x4? Although some of the big estate cars are more expensive to run than some 4x4s!

attheponies

Visit site
Have had three Freelanders, all have had numerous problems including head gaskets/seized engines etc. Although I love the car as a nice size & ideal for dogs, I would never, ever get another one!

perfect11s

Visit site
Thanks for everything so far guys, all very good to know. All we want is a fairly economical 4x4 for everyday driving (as we only have 1 car in the family) But it will need to be able to tow a Ifor 401 with 1 x 15.1hh TB mare who weighs about 450kg (just for 6/12 local outings a year). We only have a small budget £2000-£3000, car would be preferably diesel with no more than 110k miles on the clock. Landrover Freelanders seem to tick all the boxes and come in under budget, however the mechanical horror stories are putting us off! Anyone know of anything else that might be suitable and would fit the bill?
Volvo v70 diesel estate... freelanders up to the latest ones are poo like all landrovers they are for people who want a 4x4... people who Need a 4x4 buy a toyota or mitsubishi etc:D

Clannad48

Visit site
omg! I now want to be sick. I thought I loved mine, now I am waiting for the bleddy thing to let me down. Secretly hoping that I have the one and only genuine one made!!

Worry ye not - everyone told me I was mad to buy one, only had one problem - rotor arm, less than a fiver to fix - runs every day, brilliant in the ice and snow (I live on a fairly steep hill) only swapping it because I now need an automatic (secretly looking at a freelander auto)

Clannad48

Visit site
I’m looking to buy a second hand Freelander but have heard a lot of rumours & stories about engine problems with especially with certain model engines anyone know which ones to avoid or any other advice?

Whereabouts are you based, I know a dealer I could recommend if you are faily local - all he deals with is Landrovers - and my Ifor Williams dealer recommended the Landrover Freelander TD's- as I have said before, the Landy's are like marmite - you either love them or hate them.

indie999

Visit site
Hi We had a diesel freelander, full top spec leather etc etc,I think it could only tow one medium size horse(not big you should check the weight it could carry).BUT although it looked the part we did not find it substantial. I use to chain harrow with a medium size harrow and it coped fine but not brilliant and would struggle across a field.Wasnt very good off road at all(Found it rubbish). We had engine problems with it and spent one month £700 it was probably about 5 years old(we did service it regularly etc) but it was a bottomless pit...liked the car just not the mechanics, I dont think they are well built at all(but I dont know about cars engines etc..this is just our experience)

If you can afford a discovery is the next best in this range & have only heard good reports from farmers round here but ££££££ to run as well.or look at another 4x4 maker, I think there are better ones around and you are paying for the name Landrover etc.

Good luck sorry! Chelsea Tractor!

assuan

Visit site
KIA's are not serious towing vehicles, simply look at the specs and build quality. Friend towed with a brand new Kia twice, then sold it!

Stick with a proper towing vehicle/4x4....aka Mitisi Shogun/Pajero or an Izuzu Trooper.