Landy nicked. Need a new towing vehicle.

dozzie

Visit site
My Defender was stolen just before Christmas.
So I am looking for a new towing vehicle. Not going to replace the Defender with another one now as they are being stolen so frequently. I have narrowed it down to a Mitsubishi Shogun, Volkswagen Touareg or a Disco. Budget around 8k. Would love to go less so as to stick two fingers up to the thieves but could go more. I need to have a minimum towing capacity of 2.5T (one horse plus trailer etc.) max probably 3T. Need 4WD occasionally. Has anyone experience of the Shogun or Touareg? Or can someone recommend something else. I know these cars will never be the same as the Defender. :( but I am looking positively at this in that the car I buy may be comfortable, warm, dry and quiet...and it may have a CD player!!! No more cassettes...I don't tow often nowadays as don't compete much. But would like to have the option. Thanks.

Last edited:

Frumpoon

Visit site
Oven just recently got one of the newer shoguns after th last one blew a head gasket and I'm absolutely delighted.

It's an 04 plate but only 46k on the clock, new all terrain tyres all round and full main dealer service history, 3300kg towing capacity £8k from a main dealer

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I bought an elderly, low milage Disco TD5 two years ago, when it was new it was a top of the range job :) It has two sun roofs, (electric) a cd changer, electric windows and doors and I bought a cheap plug in blue tooth thingy for the phone. It is automatic and has seven seats. We don't use the back two seats, but it does mean that it has room for the Rotters, oh and it has very efficient heater and air conditoning. It has heated seats and electric move them any way you like seats too. It is possibly the most comfortable car I have ever driven, cruise control on the motorway and loads of space. It has cost me a bit to get a few jobs done (usual disco 2 problems, suspension, ECU, etc) but I really love driving it :)