Lanky update for those that followed

LankyDoodle

Visit site
Some people here did follow Lanky's progress since his op (and subsequent poor prognosis) for OCD last summer. He was turned out finally in December and initially things didn't look too bad, despite the very poor prognosis we had been given. It wasn't long before things went downhill again, and last week we had him reassessed another time, where the vet said there was more fluid in and around the joint (the one where meniscus had been completely removed) and he was very lame; the joint was degenerating further and he was overcompensating by bearing extra weight on the other leg which also had OCD but to a lesser degree. This overcompensating was causing problems for the other leg as well. He had a nice shine to his coat but looked poor in terms of weight despite us upping his feed and the grass being a lot better (bearing in mind this horse is a good doer in summer).

So the decision was made that in view of the fact he was on 2-3 bute a day and showing signs of getting worse not better, the fact he was a rising 9 year old with severe sweet itch and feet that crumble like shortbread in the summer (so not great for the welfare of a field ornament!), drops considerable weight in the winter, and the fact our very sensible vet could only see us having to up and up the painkillers over the course of his life (which could have been another 10-15 years!) in order to keep pain to a manageable level, to have Lanky put to sleep. This decision was made last Tuesday and we spent the rest of the week and the weekend arranging things and deliberating over what has been a heartbreaking decision for us. The insurer was never going to pay out on this because to them the horse was not suffering enough; but we were living this and seeing this horse deteriorate, suffer and WE weren't getting any enjoyment from that, so we decided to say sod it to the insurance and make the decision based on common sense and what was fair to the horse (which is what we have tried to do all along). Lots of tears and 'are we doing the right thing?' moments, and on Monday Lanky was PTS. :(

It was bloody horrendous to be totally honest with you because Lanky had a bad reaction after the injection. I'm surprised my vet lived to tell the tale. :( I wasn't there when my mare was PTS, but my husband was and she went peacefully - down on front legs then on her back legs then slowly over to the side and she was gone. Lanky was a massive horse and the vet says with bigger horses it all just takes longer to get round their entire system so these reactions do happen. The vet had taken the lead rope from us as he wanted some control in case there was any reaction; Lanky had had a pre-med so was sleepy anyway, but after the injection was administered his breaths started to get slower and heavier and his head started to drop. I'd closed my eyes because I was finding it incredibly sad and all of a sudden I heard a lot of banging around and fuss and Lanky was trying to rear up, run backwards, spin, had a 'fear' look on his face. His back legs were not up to much and they just fell from under him but he kept pushing his front legs into the ground. It seemed to go on forever but in reality it was probably over in less than a minute. The vet managed to hold onto him and Lanky fell to the ground with a complete thud and in such dramatic style. Nothing peaceful about it. I wish I hadn't been there to see that, but nevertheless I was so I will just have to deal with it and move on.

It was the best decision in the end. Now we just have George. I've just had a baby so I think we will be sticking to just George for now.

Last edited:

GinaB

Visit site
:( I'm so sorry to have read this to be the outcome, but it sounds like the best decision for Lanky. I'm sorry it was also distressing for you when he was PTS. *huge hugs*

RIP Lanky xx

RuthnMeg

Visit site
Sorry to hear this. What a brilliant owner you are, bloody insurance companies. Sorry it was not the peaceful ending you wanted, but iam sure Lanky is eternally grateful. <<Hugs>>

Wimbles

Visit site
I'm a bit of a lurker but have kept reading about Lanky. I'm so sorry that things didn't improve but pleased that your boy had such a good owner, one which did right by him 'till the very end.

RIP Lanky

catdragon

Visit site
My heart truly does go out to you and your family and your vet. You did more than your best for Lanky and such a hard thing for you to do, but in the horses best interests. What a brave and unselfish decision you took, Lanky was lucky to have such loving owners.

RIP Lanky XXX

And HUGE ((hugs)) to you all XXX

CBAnglo

Visit site
What a sad ending I know how much you went through with him, first with the livery yards, then the injuries, and then the lameness.

You made the best decision and he isnt in pain now. I cant imagine that he would have enjoyed winter, and being buted up to the eyeballs even to be kept field (un)sound is just no life for a horse that was so active.

He was a lovely horse and lucky to have you. Hope George is alright on his own?

MontyandZoom

Visit site
I am so sorry for your loss :( It is a heartbreaking decision to make, but the RIGHT thing to do. Well done for being so considerate of his needs.

Big hugs xxxxxxxxxx

Janesomerset

Visit site
I'm so sorry to read about Lanky, though I hope I would have been brave enough to make the same unselfish decision as you. He is free of pain now and would thank you for that if he could. xx

lochpearl

Visit site
Oh hun, I'm so sorry to hear this but reading your posts from the start made the alarm bells start ringing for me, his case ended up pretty much identical to Lotto's. The insurance companies are a pain and they do seem to feel that they should just die on their own out in the field. Plus after the year is up they don't have the burden of paying for the long term pain relief, which you like me would have done happily to give them a quality of life.

It's brought it all back to me and I've shed a few tears for Lotto and Lanky reading this, hopefully they will be up there galloping and jumping in the clouds and best of all pain free. I hope George is ok and I wish you all the best for your new baby, you have totally done the best thing and each day does get a bit easier xxx

Puppy

Visit site
I'm so sorry to read this :(

Rest in peace, Lanky boy, and ((((((huge hugs))))))) for you xxx

kal40

Visit site
So sorry to read this but it was very brave of you to do the right thing by him.

May he rest in peace now.

LankyDoodle

Visit site
Thank you all for your messages of support. :) It was not an easy thing to do but it was the kindest thing for a big, beautiful, kind-natured horse.

George is on his own now, but there are horses in the neighbouring field (that belong to a neighbour). We think we will probably end up with a small pony on loan at some point (for Isabella), but are in no rush because there are other horses around so George is quite settled (although he's not a fretty horse really anyway).

How Lanky reacted to the injection, might lead me to consider having future euthenasias done by shooting (which is not something I thought I'd ever say). But hey, that's another debate for anothe thread. :)

xx

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
Im so sorry that it was a stressful end, but you done your absoulte best, big hugs to you, I always have admaration for owners that truely put the horse before anything.

BeckyD

Visit site
I'm so sorry to read this. I followed all your posts about him and you did everything you could. I think you have made the kindest decision possible under the circumstances. I'm so sorry you had to see such a distressing passing. I hope the good memories are the ones that stay with you. ((((HUGS)))

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
Thank you all for your messages of support. :) It was not an easy thing to do but it was the kindest thing for a big, beautiful, kind-natured horse.

George is on his own now, but there are horses in the neighbouring field (that belong to a neighbour). We think we will probably end up with a small pony on loan at some point (for Isabella), but are in no rush because there are other horses around so George is quite settled (although he's not a fretty horse really anyway).

How Lanky reacted to the injection, might lead me to consider having future euthenasias done by shooting (which is not something I thought I'd ever say). But hey, that's another debate for anothe thread. :)

xx

RIP Lanky
((hugs)) so sorry you had a similar experience to our PTS by injection- never again..

catembi

Visit site
So sorry to hear this. Sometimes you are left with no alternative, and it sounds as if you tried absolutely everything.

I hope that he's playing with Catembi. I really feel for you & 100% understand how hard this is.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm sorry I missed your post at first. I did follow the story previously.
It is always a very difficult decision but you obviously did the right thing by the horse - it's such a pity that insurance companies don't take longterm welfare into account.
Try to concentrate on the good memories.

Old Bat

Visit site
Its rough, isn't it? I had to make the same decision a few weeks ago for a similar problem....cherish the happy memories and be proud of yourself for doing the right thing for Lanky, I'm so sorry for you.

Booboos

Visit site
I am so, so sorry to hear the terrible news about Lanky. I have followed your story for a while and I was so hoping for a happy ending for you, I am so sorry it wasn't to be. You made the right choice for Lanky and he couldn't have wished for a better or more caring owner.