Large bale haylage

scrat

Visit site
When a bale is opened do you remove all the wrapping. It will take a few days for us to use each bale and in the past we have just peeled the plastic back as its used. We use a tarpaulin to cover while in use but just wondered what the best method of storage is to prevent the bale going off too soon?? Thanks.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I had more trouble when I tried to seal a bale , it seemed to forment more; now I take off from all sides and haven't had a problem. Yes, the bale will dry out a little towards the end but as long as the quality was there in the first place, it won't be a problem. This is all supposing that your bales are under cover of course; if not, perhaps take plastic off but cover with something that allows it to breathe while still protecting it from damp.

Daisychain

Visit site
Just open a flap at one end and take off each slice as its needed, i have fed it like this for years with no problem, the only time you get a problem is when there is a hole made somewhere else in the bale, then it tends to go hot and go off. it will keep easily 2 weeks doing it like this.

miller

Visit site
Same as daisychain
grin.gif

scrat

Visit site
Thanks everyone, our haylage is usually dryer almost like good quality hay. I havn't opened one yet so I hope it will be the same as last years.