Large crack in good, lame horse

fathorselover

Visit site
Friend's horse is lame. This is her foot (front) - the crack is deep, I'd say almost an inch at its deepest. It has come from the coronet band downwards, and has been getting worse for a while. I'm worried about the prognosis for this horse, who is lovely - she hasn't seen the vet yet, the farrier seems to think it's an abscess but I'm not so sure!

Attachments

• IMG_20200921_124509_compress29.jpg
    IMG_20200921_124509_compress29.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20200921_124444_compress80.jpg
    IMG_20200921_124444_compress80.jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 73

P.forpony

Visit site
Crikey no vet yet?!
I’d suggest it needs one sharpish.
If it isn’t already infected it will be soon, and an inch deep is well into vital structures.
How long has it been lame?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I concur that it needs a vet and remedial farrier to take it on and that the crack will probably need pinning across to stabilise it. If it has developed from damage to the coronary band it may always be there but should be able to be stabilized and filled. She may be lame with an abscess from dirt getting in but the crack hasn't been caused by the current abscess it must have been there in some form for a year or more

irishdraft

Visit site
I'm also very surprised the farrier is not concerned a friends horse had a terrible crack and had to have stabilisation screws and lacing on the hoof just to hold it together .

holeymoley

Visit site
That needs x rayed and seen to pronto. You’re likely to need remedial shoeing of some sort and you’ll be lucky if there’s no damage or infection to internal structures. Sorry to be blunt. Depending how long the horse has been lame it’s probably been compensating for the pain elsewhere(muscularly)