large lump has come up on side of horses neck under mane

exracehorse

Visit site
As above title says really. He has a pretty large lump half way along his neck, running from the hairline of his mane down. I can push it and he doesn't mind, can move his head each direction without concern. Its not squishy, its hard but not rock hard and about the size of half my hand. I had even realised until we were hacking out and the wind blew his mane over to the other side and I thought, what the hell is that. I didn't groom before riding, which I normally always do but, was short of time and he was straight out of his stable so not muddy. Wondered if anyone else has had this before. He hasn't had any injections. Hardly the weather for fly bites. Perhaps a muscle pull? He does put his head threw the wooden post and rails to get to greener grass.

Fjord

Visit site
Could he have been kicked? My mare had a large lump on her neck where she was kicked, the other horse had a very similar large lump on his bum!

Bluedaisys

Visit site
Could it be a wart of some sort? Mines had some lumps come and go and the vets not concerned. My girls were still covered I hair. Vet said she's happy it's not a sarcoid n doesn't want to poke and prod whilst it causes no bother. The other thing she said it could be is similar to fatty lumps of collagen (along those lines, can't remember actual name!)

margiegran

Visit site
my sister's 7yr old gelding has a lump about the size of a apple on his throat, we noticed it a couple of weeks ago and were assured by more experienced horsey people not to worry, well we are, and we are getting the vet out first thing monday. we both bought our horses two yrs ago having not ridden for well over 40yrs so we really are quite novicey when it comes to illness's

swampdonkey

Visit site
Grass Gland maybe ? Really difficult without a picture. My mare gets grass glands in winter, aparently because the grass is short so she is having to work harder with jaw?