Laser Eye Surgery - Riding & chores afterwards

City Mare

Visit site
Morning all,

Wondering if any of you have had laser eye surgery and if so, what was the recovery time you needed before you could go near a horse?!

The leaflet says two weeks of no riding, but it doesn't actually say about chores etc, apart from avoiding dusty environments for two weeks (which clearly would be a problem with hay and hair!). But I was wondering if this was just worst case scenario and if so, if anyone has had any experience of this procure and realistic recovery times/away times, would you please share?

I am booked in next week for the procedure but feel bad for not being able to help with my share horse for so long, and plus I like being at the stables too!

Thanks in advance for advice.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
A lady that used to ride my horse a couple of days a week.

She didnt go near the yard for 2 weeks and even then had to be careful.

I know its different when its your own horses and not like me having a rider.

But its better to allow yourself the right recovery time, dont take the risk.

Speak to the doctor and see what they say, maybe with some goggles you might be ok!!

imr

Visit site
I had it done about 3 years ago.

Now struggling to remember how long I didnt ride for but no way was it 2 weeks ! My mum and sis also have had it done and Im sure they werent off for 2 weeks either.

Definitely no riding the next day though or whilst the 2 hourly eye drop regime was on. Think I must have started riding again a few days later but nothing too energetic. I wore dark glasses to stop the dust getting in when doing yard work and the wind aggravation when riding and around the yard. Just remember not to touch your eyes and do the eye drops. Once the hassle and discomfort of the first 2-3 weeks is over it it great, no lenses, no glasses, no dust getting stuck behind your lenses.

s4sugar

Visit site
Mine was done about 15 years ago and I wore a patch over the treated eye for a week when in the stables or kennels.

Chumsmum

Visit site
My OH had the LASEK procedure which takes longer to recover from, no way could he have been around horses/dust in the first two weeks, he was in a lot of pain for the first few days and had blurred visions for a while afterwards and couldn't drive.

However, he is a man... :D

What procedure are you having?

bitlessbill

Visit site
I had mine done about 10 years ago and from what I can remember after the initial 24 hrs with the patches on I carried on as normal, just couldn't see much to start with. I couldn't get time off work so had to go in and squint at the computer screen although I wore dark glasses for a while. I think it was 2weeks till I felt normal and could drive.

Feathered

Visit site
I had mine done about 6yrs ago, I was told to totally stay away from the horses for a few days and then I had to wear those scientist type goggles for a couple of weeks to keep the dust out my eyes, I looked like a right numpty!

City Mare

Visit site
Thanks all for your replies - btw I'm having the Lasik treatment at Ultralase - can't wait; no more lenses!

I guess I'll see how I go, but on the whole it all seems quite promising from your answers and hopefully I may not have to have too much time away from the ned!

skewby

Visit site
Lol @ wagtail!

I have JUST had mine done - a week ago last Friday - and I am allowed back to see horse tomorrow. I had LASEK (I think - if that's the one with the flap?).

I didn't check it out beforehand and when I booked it the guy talked about "2 days recovery", luckily when I was being discharged I said "am I ok to go and muck out later?" and they were a bit horrified ;) they said stay away a week, then I had my week check on Friday, and she said to leave it 10 days. Eyes feel pretty much fine now. Can't wait to see my horse!

Jacobi

Visit site
Had it done twice. Took a few days off. Spent the day of surgery (done in a.m.) mostly sleeping (planned it that way - worked night shift the night before). Gives the corneal epithelium a good start on healing and keeps any discomfort to a minimum. Stayed away from the barn for about 3 days - to let the epithelium heal properly without any risk of contamination. Good luck!

Bozzy

Visit site
I was back at the yard the next day, just wore goggles to muck out for about a week after the surgery (flap one!!). Sure I was back riding a couple of days after too. I worked with horses so couldn't afford to stay away!

Good luck...best thing I ever did! However I really need to get my eyes tested as I'm worried my sight's deteriorated slightly in the 2 years since I had it done :eek:(

Notamule

Visit site
I had Lasik 4 years ago, the final deciding factor was when my horse nutted me in the face whilst I was out on a hack and my glasses were lost on the road! I digress.....I bought a pair of laboratory protection glasses - you can get them in a DIY store for the first few days. BUT, I still use them for when it's a particularly dusty, muddy grooming session to protect my eyes. The thing you need to remember is that your cornea is not as robust following Lasik as it would be without surgery and you should take extra care of your eyes.

Good luck!

skewby

Visit site
I had Lasik 4 years ago, the final deciding factor was when my horse nutted me in the face whilst I was out on a hack and my glasses were lost on the road!
I had my previous horse flick a contact clean out my eye, into his bed, never to be found again, with the tip of his ear lol!

gemin1eye

Visit site
I stayed away from riding for 2 weeks, but I don't own or share a horse so mine was purely riding. When I did visit the yard with my sister I wore sunglasses. I do dog agility in an indoor school which is quite dusty, I stayed away from there for a month. Like someone said, they're your eyes, don't be impatient and risk something going wrong regardless of how quickly someone else went back. I had mine done in June and am getting to the stage where I'll need them done again as they're both declining and causing me problems. If I did have a horse and had to do stable chores, I probably would have stayed away a bit longer as well as there's more risk of dust and dirty getting into your eyes than when you're only riding.

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
I'm booked in for March 18th....I only have 2 weeks off uni does this mean I can't ride at all!!?? Would it be possible to hack..with goggles on? Or my lab spectacles :D
K x

skewby

Visit site
I'm booked in for March 18th....I only have 2 weeks off uni does this mean I can't ride at all!!?? Would it be possible to hack..with goggles on? Or my lab spectacles :D
K x
See how you feel, your eyes will get butchered! If you are prepared to wear protective goggles you can prob do what you want. I didn't have a clue where to get such a thing at short notice! They tell you not to ride for ages but that must be because they expect you to fall off. I think chores are more risk than riding to be fair, all the dust from grooming and mucking out would not be good, once you've had it done you'll know what I mean! Eyes are raw! But still so worth it!