@ last a little bit of hope

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My mare has been box rested since july ( Laminitis ) she was box rested but after her escape from stable she go to the barley rings and grass she went down hill fast . It came serious, still is and xrays said pedal bone rotated a bit, so heart bar shoes put on but after a few weeks the sole dropped, so we put styrofoam pads on. thick bed lami feed and supplements . 2nd xray showed more drop and rotate .

3rd xray yesterday vet told me today there is more sole now no more drop and foot seems to be stabilizing .

I could SCREAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :D

The last few weeks have been hell with worry . Now the vet will put the last 2 x ray to gether to confirm the result. then poss her heart bar shoe can go on.

My mare has been AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.
Good natured , sensible . and I love her with all my heart she knew we helping her . She still has styrofoam on and bute she is a fighter she wants to get better.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

popularfurball

Visit site
Just out of interest, why were shoes removed and now why would you want them back on if she has improved? Orry if being dense - good news is always the best hopefully onwards n upwards for u both!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
They were put on to stop the pedal bone dropping.
After a few weeks she got more lame the one shoe was taken off and x rayed and it was seen that the sole had dropped so she needed the styrofoam pads to stop sole dropping further and to stop pedal bone rotaion , the styrofoam pads are temporary their job is to stop sole dropping. . The vet said once the hoof has stabilized she can have her heart bar shoes on again .

She is under the care of VERY good vets who are working with Billy Crothers 5 times world champion farrier. She is in very good hands.

Last edited:

Lotty

Visit site
hurray.gif
Good news, I'm so pleased for you and your mare.

idx

Visit site
My mare has been AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.
Good natured , sensible . and I love her with all my heart she knew we helping her . She still has styrofoam on and bute she is a fighter she wants to get better.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

So glad to hear your horse is getting better. I had a mare who had an operation on her pedal bone and she was a pefect patient - even on her in hand walks all she wanted to do was eat grass after months of being in a stable.

I think they do know you are trying to help. Hope the good progress continues.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
vet up again changed pads seems her sole is crumbling which is what causes the pain so hoof hardener and she has a little gas pocket.

Also less pulse today , and contrary to above post pedal bone hasn't moved again , i think farrier comparing first and last not 2nd and 3rd where there is no change .

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
well friday a bit sore sat very hobbly again so heart wrenching .
Today got vet out very sore pulse up a little

no heat to speak of in foot
hoof testers used twice very hard no reaction , shoes been on 4 weeks

vet going to speak to Billy Crothers see if abscess ,
weird y she gone back
i thought the 2nd lot hay might be different but hay guy said nope its the same , nothing has changed in her diet I dont understand it :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

flintfootfilly

Visit site
What a rollercoaster.

How much good connected new hoof growth does she have now?

My belief is that's what will really tell you whether your current strategy is working.

If you aren't sure what good connected hoof wall looks like (sorry, I have no idea how much you know or don't know about hooves), then this link has quite a good example in photos 19 a to c :

http://www.barefoothorse.com/barefoot_PhotoGallery.html

Sarah

BlackVelvet

Visit site
Laminitis is horrible :(
My boy was diagnosed in June with lami, he was lucky to have no rotation but had abit of sinking. He was on complete boxrest (no walking out AT ALL!) with a really thick shavings bed and frog supports on.

The whole experience was heartbreaking, even with his mild lami he was in alot of pain. Sounds like your vet and farrier are treating it well. Laminitis often gets worse before it gets better, and they have good days and bad days!

Mine showed no pain with hoof testers or hardly any heat in his feet, but had the pulse.

Hope things improve for you!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
thankyou yes of cause I know what new horn looks like been around horses all my life over 40 years and I am BHS qualified:D
she has around 1/2 inch of new horn at the top which looks good not so much on the lami foot

the foot is cold and the bottom warm a little round the top like the other one, until thursday last week the pulse was the same as good foot, walking so much better tho still hobbly, fri it started getting worse , her feed hasnt changed .
she is bright in herself , vet is talking to Billyt Crothers today for him to come remove shoe so we can xray again see if abscess or something else, vet is ering on abscess tho not much heat . She did have colic last tuesday evening which could have something to do with it

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
i think its stupid H&H giving you only 15 mins to edit your post sheesh don't know any others that do. MY car one you can go back a week or so and still edit or add pics in your post here are 2 pics

her good one the white one has no indent at the coronary band the worst one has but doesn't seem as bad as it was when u run your finger down.
the black foot is the worst

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Today I found this , looks like the culprit for our setback of being in bad pain today

I can cope with it being an abscess worse would be hard:(

vet and farrier coming Tuesday for xrays

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
had billy today he took shoe of vet x-ray , shoe back on, x-ray showed no more rotation and no more founder- :D

she found shoeing painful , but x-ray also showed gas line = abscess and she had bruising in heal area, which explains the hiccup last week.

i can cope with these results :D

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
well recent x ray showed no more rotation and no more foundering .

but does show gas pocket / abscess which she dremmeled last night have to poultice x 2 a day there was a smell that came out of the hole but . still hobbling this morning :(:(:( isnt interested in food much or water. god I am depressed:(:(:(

Luci07

Visit site
oh you must find this all incredibly draining with all your ups and downs. Its awful if she has got another abscess but reading all your posts, it would look like your mare reacts quite strongly to this and is probably feeling quite poorly - hence going off her food and drink. I will caveat it that by pointing out that I am, obviously, not a vet or in any way qualified but just from being nosey over the years, some horses (like humans) go off food and water as soon as they feel ill. I know I do. Fingers crossed and I hope that you are able to post a positive update soon.

BlackVelvet

Visit site
Every horse is different, mine had mild mild laminitis with no rotation or sinking and was hobbling around lame and feeling sorry for himself making me think he wasnt ever going to pull through! Also he went off his food (which is NOT like him at all!) and just picked at hay and was layed down the rest of the time.
If your generally concerned then speak to your vet about it, for your own piece of mind atleast. Hope things get better soon x

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
thankyou :)

i have to poultice the hole she dremmeled out 2 x a day

vet said she might be bored of just speedybeet..

I tried a handful of fibergy and she ate it willingly with her founderguard.

vet also said buy some sugar free apple juice to go into her water , and mix half and half haylage and wet hay . while she eats her founderguard i dont feel so worried with the little fibergy i give her as it prevents the build up in gut

she is only lying down at night now

BlackVelvet

Visit site
Think of it as being a really good sign that theres no more rotation/sinking, atleast it seems to have stablised. Is she still on painkillers? and boxrest? Recovery from lami is aslong as a piece of string, another pony got lami the same time as B and the poor thing still has lilypads on and is on strict boxrest. I do think that resting him completely (he didnt leave his box AT ALL and was on a thick shavings bed) helped him. Im well aware it can take up to a year for his feet to fully recover, just take everyday at a time.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
well this abscess is only coming out at coronet tho nothing much to speak of hot tubbing now poulticing,

the abscess- this has now weakened the lamina and she has a little more rotation but no founder.

she is on norodine to fight the inflammation just appeared round the bone.

she is still very perky.

i been told takes 3 days for norodine to get into their system
she is on styrofoam pads on again due to easier to poultice
and striked box rest
yes she is on one danylon am and pm

Last edited:

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Sorry if already stated, but has this mare got Cushing's? If so, the continual abscessing may prove to be the straw which broke the camel's back. The horse's ability to overcome infection is greatly reduced if Cushing's is present and the constant need for anti-inflammatories and AB's has a very detrimental effect as far as lamintis goes. Hope that doesn't sound too negative, but our mare got one absecss too many and as 28+ we felt it was kinder to end her suffering :(

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
ty

but there is no way i am giving up on her when apart from her foot she is acting totally normal in behavior and temperament.

its only in the one foot the laminitis has stabilized she has come so far i will not give up till that time comes

her last bloods last week showed NO cushings this is the second bloods for cushings first was in Aug.

I have had this mare since 1 1\2 years old till 23 the vet said
if she is fighting it and i and fighting for her they will fight too