Last chance saloon - laminitic pony

katef2020

Visit site
Just to see if there is anything else we can try before making the final decision...
slim, fit, 18 y/o welsh C gelding, experienced home.
fed sensibly ( soaked hay, chaff, low cal feedbalancer, poor pasture), very well shod by remedial farrier.fit and well.
Suddenly got severe ( not moving at all) lami for seemingly no reason in October 2015. Vet called immediatley -did have fair bit of pedal bone rotation on xray.
-all appropriate measures ( box rest, soaked hay, soft bed, frog supports ( clogs) fitted. Given bute and acp.)
after about 2 weeks bit better but still lame and pottery.
tested for cushings at outset and normal. after discussion with vet after a month of not much improvement ,started on pergolide anyway in absence of any other reason for laminitis.
seemed to improve after about 2 weeks, and although still pottery def happier. still on pergolide now, levels same as pre treatment.
Kept as above in clogs for 3 months, seemingly getting happier- even got to cantering round yard when escaped from stable / yard pottering area.
moved from clogs to frog supports and natural balance shoes, continued to improve and almost sound for 1 more month. Still in yard and stable, no pasture and same diet etc.
Last few weeks after 5 months in total- bit relapse- almost back to square one- again no reason, no change in routine, no stress etc etc.
I do not want to put him through more if this is as good as it will get. we hoped we had found the cause, when the pergoldie seemed to work ( despite normal acth levels) but now it seems it cant control whatever is tipping him into laminitis.
Do we call it a day - or has anyone got any brilliant further suggestions we can try. I dont want him to suffer and only have a rubbish quality of life going forwards. Any suggestions please, but only by end Feb 2016 as will make decision to pts this week if cant find a way to help him. I am pragmatic and realistic as to his chances .
Thank you for reading. x

Auslander

Visit site
Just to see if there is anything else we can try before making the final decision...
slim, fit, 18 y/o welsh C gelding, experienced home.
fed sensibly ( soaked hay, chaff, low cal feedbalancer, poor pasture), very well shod by remedial farrier.fit and well.
Suddenly got severe ( not moving at all) lami for seemingly no reason in October 2015. Vet called immediatley -did have fair bit of pedal bone rotation on xray.
-all appropriate measures ( box rest, soaked hay, soft bed, frog supports ( clogs) fitted. Given bute and acp.)
after about 2 weeks bit better but still lame and pottery.
tested for cushings at outset and normal. after discussion with vet after a month of not much improvement ,started on pergolide anyway in absence of any other reason for laminitis.
seemed to improve after about 2 weeks, and although still pottery def happier. still on pergolide now, levels same as pre treatment.
Kept as above in clogs for 3 months, seemingly getting happier- even got to cantering round yard when escaped from stable / yard pottering area.
moved from clogs to frog supports and natural balance shoes, continued to improve and almost sound for 1 more month. Still in yard and stable, no pasture and same diet etc.
Last few weeks after 5 months in total- bit relapse- almost back to square one- again no reason, no change in routine, no stress etc etc.
I do not want to put him through more if this is as good as it will get. we hoped we had found the cause, when the pergoldie seemed to work ( despite normal acth levels) but now it seems it cant control whatever is tipping him into laminitis.
Do we call it a day - or has anyone got any brilliant further suggestions we can try. I dont want him to suffer and only have a rubbish quality of life going forwards. Any suggestions please, but only by end Feb 2016 as will make decision to pts this week if cant find a way to help him. I am pragmatic and realistic as to his chances .
Thank you for reading. x

Has he had any other tests? I'd have thought that EMS should be high on the list of things to look for - and if the basal tests show nothing looking at dynamic tests, such as the TRH test, so that you can rest easy that you've done everything you can for him.
You have my sympathy - I've got one going through acute, inexplicable laminitis at the moment, and it's so tough not knowing why, or what to do for the best.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I went through almost the same thing as you last year with my mare she came almost sound after being totally off her feet on 4 bute a day, then out of the blue she just went down hill it was worse than the first time it just came back with a vengeance, she had cushings and ems and was retired due to a tendon injury she was only 15, I couldn't watch her go through it again she was still uncomfortable on 6 bute in 24 hours so I had her pts.

my vet gave me the option of more X rays maybe that's an option for you at least you would know if it's worth carrying on, or you could test for ems they do prescribe metformin for that which if he tests positive it will help get the laminitis under control, my vet told me that sometimes there is just a bit more laminitis there to come out and that's why so many relapse after doing so well, it's such an awful condition my heart goes out to you I have been there its a horrible thing to have to go through please let us know what's you decide x

_HP_

Visit site
Have you had recent xrays to make sure the rotation has been corrected? this is essential to recovery but harder to do in shoes because it needs correcting in intervals (if there is alot) , a couple of weeks apart.
The cushings test does give false negatives, especially in n the early stages and should always be used alongside clinical signs...this is an excellent site for uo to date, well researched information.

http://www.thelaminitissite.org/ppid.html
There is an excellent Facebook group called EMS (Equine metabolic syndrome), PPID Cushing's and Laminitis UK.
They will give you excellent expert advice based on the latest research only....

Last edited:

jewel

Visit site
stress was the trigger for our old pony, worming and travelling were enough of a change to set him off again. Sadly i had him pts in July as being on boxrest 24/7 was no quality of life for him especially with copd aswell.

Last edited:

BORODIN

Visit site
Ive seen many great results for last chance saloon ponies by swimming them -
non weight bearing so they can still be exercised as its such a catch 22 for them

sometimes weve led ponies into the pool that literally can hardly walk and they swim great :)

brucea

Visit site
Check EMS and also PPID

We have a chronic lamintitic that has an attack in January every year almost without fail - as soon as you say "the days are getting slightly longer" down he goes. We're pretty good at recovering him and he has a decent quality of life with his pals.

Shoes off. Supportive and conforming surface, boots for going out. Shoes have no place in laminitis imho. Tin hat time.