Last chance!

corinnematthews

Visit site
My pointer is having his last race on Monday - has not covered himself in glory, started in Jan - form reads like this:-
1st race - fell and laid for dead for 10 mins - got up - all OK
2nd race - confidence boost - pulled-up
3rd Race - looked as if doing really well, then went out like a light 2 fences from home (discovered he had bled)
4th Race (some weeks later) came a distant 2nd in a 3 horse race (ha ha the other horse in the race that did not finish was also mine....)
5th Race - Ran well, 6 horse race, came 3rd - pleased!
6th Race - slippery ground, did not like - pulled up and blowing like a steam engine - not fit enough!
Now looking fit - race he is in full of dire maidens (like him....) going likley to be on the good side.
Options - If he runs well and is placed - do I turn him out and bring him back for next year?
If he runs really badly - do I call it a day?
Then what - would you buy him??
Plus side.....100% in all ways clip. load, traffic, catch
really sweet horse to handle, loving. affectionate, has never kicked or bitten anyone. V sane to ride, forward going, but safe. Ridden out by 11 year old son - when V fit! Never bucked. Hunted. really lovely looking horse - 16HH, bright bay, white blaze, bred in the pink (Grand sire Saddlers Wells)
Minus side - wind sucks
What do you think - and what could I ask for him -
Has always been a racehorse - cost £20K as a yearling (!) Jumps well (4'6 brush fences....) but would need re-schooling as a RC / PC competition horse - but would be great as a happy hacker (on own. or in company...)

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Hm. Don't think racing is really his thing
cool.gif

Either keep as a hack and to have a bit of fun on, or use to ride up to the gallops?

Keep or sell as a hunter?

Vizslak

Visit site
He would sell on easily I would imagine, I wouldnt pay more than 1.5k for an aged ex racer but wud go to 2.5k for something younger with good confo and nice attitude. u dont mention his age?

ETS; these are my opinions on prices for racers straight off track. bcos baypony said i wasnt clear!

corinnematthews

Visit site
Whoops sorry - he is 7 years, so still young. And he has not got fed up with racing (responding to the 1st post) just not too sure that he is any good at it! i.e fast enough! And we subsequently discovered that he bled, due to a low level virus - and has not done it since we rested him, and took it easy for about 6 weeks mid season

hadfos

Visit site
Tbh i think all you would get is £1500,if you were to put a bit of work into him before selling on maybe a bit more(if you could get him out to do a little showjumping maybe??)Sounds like a sweet lad and racing certainly dosnt sound like his forte
frown.gif

Hope all goes well whatever you decide to do with him....sounds like he will get a lovely home with a nature like he has
smile.gif

Vizslak

Visit site
7 yrs old then, I would pay about 2k max.
If he runs well, I would bring him back in next year, given this years early hiccups!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Whoops sorry - he is 7 years, so still young. And he has not got fed up with racing (responding to the 1st post) just not too sure that he is any good at it! i.e fast enough! And we subsequently discovered that he bled, due to a low level virus - and has not done it since we rested him, and took it easy for about 6 weeks mid season

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say he was fed up
frown.gif
It sounds like it's not his thing in that he isn't fast enough/keeps his fitness.

annret

Visit site
IF he runs well, give him another chance next year.

If not, then don't undersell him because P2P horses are normally far better allrounders than flat horses, and his windsucking might not become an issue in a more chilled environment.

Also, a young horse that's come out of racing sound and is a pointer is not a standard ex-racer; chances are he'll be a fab XC horse & so possibly make an eventer or at the very least a classy hunter so I would reckon you could get back considerably more than a figure like 2k if you find someone who really wants ability to jump bravely at speed on a safe horse.

I would, rather than sell him, see if there's a young event rider in your area who might be willing to trial him and then you can agree a price depending on the progress he makes?