Last clip??

peanutsmumma

Visit site
When do people usually give their horses the last clip so that it doesn’t interfere with summer coats coming through?
I would like to give my new forest another clip in the next couple of weeks of I can but. It sure if it’s getting too late?

HorseMaid

Visit site
We clipped my friend's mare yesterday - was meant to do it a couple of weeks ago but life got in the way, I don't expect it will interfere with her summer coat at all!

Surbie

Visit site
I’ve done my last clip, I used to clip the lot off really late on though to prevent having to deal with moulting…. I know that’s very incorrect but I’m allergic and just hate it
Always had nice summer coats
I do the same. usually end Jan or beginning of Feb. It's never affected the summer coat.

Widgeon

Visit site
I used to clip the lot off really late on though to prevent having to deal with moulting…. I know that’s very incorrect but I’m allergic and just hate it
I'm not even allergic, but I hate it too! All that scraping with a metal comb, clouds of hair in all my bras, and it lasts for an eternity. Then just when I've managed to clean all my clothes and take a non-hairy breath, the next winter coat is coming in.

I gave up a couple of years ago and now horse has everything bar head and legs shaved off :D My life is so much better for it

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I'm not even allergic, but I hate it too! All that scraping with a metal comb, clouds of hair in all my bras, and it lasts for an eternity. Then just when I've managed to clean all my clothes and take a non-hairy breath, the next winter coat is coming in.

I gave up a couple of years ago and now horse has everything bar head and legs shaved off :D My life is so much better for it
Allergies are just a really good excuse ;)

It's true, but I'd do it anyway

Sealine

Visit site
I've just checked my diary and last clip last year was 3rd Feb. My horse will have a hunter clip in the next week to avoid the spring moult. I'm happy to use my asthma and allergies as an excuse as my horse is semi-retired and no longer needs such a drastic clip. :)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
When do people usually give their horses the last clip so that it doesn’t interfere with summer coats coming through?
I would like to give my new forest another clip in the next couple of weeks of I can but. It sure if it’s getting too late?
I have got away with not clipping my mare at all this year I rug early to stop the fluff, her coat is allot finer this year and less dense, but if she had a clip and generally only do one/two I wont clip after the end January. Brilliant not itchy jumpers for weeks on end this year and NO cost for me clipping or getting someone else to do it.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I clipped mine 10 days ago. It won't do anything to the summer coat as what you've cut will just fall out in the shed.
But you may end up with faint clip lines if you clip very late so if clipping for showing , might want to do a full clip rather than trace/blanket etc

Surbie

Visit site
Does anyone use covercote blades for the last clip? I've been wondering if it's worth getting them to leave a little more fluffy protection than the normal blades do.

Goldenstar

Visit site
We are clipping this week they are moulting and two have the hair on their backs they have a very high blanket clip and we clip them right out this time . We use medium blades because one is blue roan and the other is grey it’s not any issue with their coats .

Jambarissa

Visit site
I clip whenever, it was March last year when I suddenly lost it with all the bloody loose hair.

The only issues I've seen with clipping later is that you can often see the lines in their new coat so only of concern for showing really

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I clipped Louis today and it nearly killed me as he resembled a yak as his not been done since September and practically living out, I left his legs and half a face on and he looks like his got wooly leg warmers on, I think he was grateful as he literally leaned into the clippers and stood like a rock bless him.

SEL

Visit site
I clipped Louis today and it nearly killed me as he resembled a yak as his not been done since September and practically living out, I left his legs and half a face on and he looks like his got wooly leg warmers on, I think he was grateful as he literally leaned into the clippers and stood like a rock bless him.
I've got one much the same and she's still warm even without her grizzly bear coat - no wonder she was happy for me to strip it off. Thankfully she doesn't have a mirror otherwise she might no be quite so happy with me 😁

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I've got one much the same and she's still warm even without her grizzly bear coat - no wonder she was happy for me to strip it off. Thankfully she doesn't have a mirror otherwise she might no be quite so happy with me 😁
Mine was a rushed job as I had about an hour to lob it all off but he looks and must feel so much better.

AandK

Visit site
My late boy always had his last clip end of Feb, it never affected his summer coat! Current boy is nowhere near as yak like so I don't think he will need doing again, he was last done just after Xmas.