Late Aswanley Report + PIC

Marquire

Visit site
This should be titled:-
40 year old eventing virgin and 13 year old water-phobic horse go to Aswanley

History- bought Mr S in 2005 for OH to hack around but ended up stealing him back the following year. I'd always toyed with the idea of having a go eventing but soon discovered Mr S did not like getting his feet wet at all and if it was a 'strange' water he'd never seen before the only way to get him in was to literally get off and lead him in. So we have spent the last 3 years concentrating on stressage where he's had a lot of success and have done the odd little SJ thing.

Fast forward to 2009
My lovely OH treated me to a 5 day intensive XC course in ireland for my 40th in April which was superb and ended up with me jumping around some of their one star jumps.
shocked.gif
I came back with the bug so this summer Mr S and I have done a lot more SJing plus some XC training. Surprisingly Mr S's water phobia is much improved and in training he has been really good about going in first time allbeit very cautiously. Then after a lot of peer pressure (thanks Riaseed007!) I entered Aswanley, maybe not the most sensible choice as it has three waters!!!!
shocked.gif

The week leading up to the event I had a lot of disturbed night's sleep and was seriously pooping my pants big time. On the morning of the event I was actually the calmest I'd been all week and thankfully Mr S was his normal laid back self when we rolled up at Aswanley. Dressage was BE91 which is uber-simple and as Mr S has been out doing Elementary for the last 12 months I was seriously worried about how I was gonna keep his attention. He did a nice test, apart from trying to piss off with me in the canter on the long side and popping in some medium trot across the diagonal unasked and I was pleased to end up with 34.5 (best was 33).

We had over 3 hours until the SJing- loads of time for me to work myself up into a frenzy of nerves. I'd consumed half a tub of rescue remedy pastilles by the time I had to warm up (not to be advised) but still thought I might faint/throw up/have a nervy spaz. He warmed up super although I was getting him in a bit deep but he was jumping his socks off. In we went, great over 1 and 2 but little pooper took a dislike to number 3 as stopped. Big smacks on his bum and we were off again to jump the rest clear but finished on 4 for the stop and 7 time.
frown.gif

Quick change of clothes and off to the XC warm up. I was quite angry about the SJ stop so I was super determined when we left the start box that we would get around. He was super over 1-5, then number 6 the first water he backed off so I gave him a dose of Mrs Doyle (GO ON GO ON GO ON) and we were through, 7-11 he was super if a little bold at the drop for my liking, and then the next big ask 12 a log with drop 2 strides to 13abc, water, water, palisade. A lot more Mrs Doyling coupled with pony club kicking and we were through (at a slow elevated trot) and clear. 14-17 all great and onto 18 log, stride into another water under a tree so dark and spooky. Lots more Mrs Doyle on teh approach and we were through and onto the last which he simply flew. Who would have believed it A CLEAR ROUND XC!!!!! We still ended up on a cricket score because my idea of going fast is not the same as the normal person so we had 35 time penalties
blush.gif
But to get around was reward enough. Below is a picture over the last fence.
[image]
aswanley09-1.jpg
[/image]

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
Oh, well done! What a fab report and I am loving the "Mrs Doyle" term, will have to try remember that one!
grin.gif

You are both looking great and a fun, clear XC is far better than a hairy fast one! There's always your next one for aiming to be a bit quicker... is Wee Burgie calling?!
smile.gif

PS- what a fab present from your OH to go to Ireland for the XC training, big brownie points there I bet!

Baileyhoss

Visit site
Well done!! Fab report. Huge well done to overcoming the water phobia. Aswanley with it's 3 waters must have gave you a thought!. I was BE90ing that day as well. Not in your section tho.

I managed my a clear xc (after 3 stops last year
blush.gif
) and came 8th
grin.gif

Marquire

Visit site
"is Wee Burgie calling?! "

Indeed it is. I am just trying to decide whether to book stabling or not? Does anyone know which order they run the classes? If BE90 is on last I may just drive up in the morning as we are less than 2h away.

now_loves_mares

Visit site
I'm also amused and impressed by the Mrs Doyle and will be stealing that and claiming it as my own
cool.gif

really well done - a fab dressage and a clear xc is awesome for your first. Looking forward to the Burgie report
smile.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
Well done! Aswanley does have a few waters! lol. Dont stress about the show jumping as I saw several problems at number 3 in my class (N) as well.

You should ask the sec for Wee Burgie, they'll have an idea of what order classes will be run. You can always ask to go late in the class - I do as it takes us an hour to get there. The water at Burgie at least is near the end and is straight forward and welcoming so you should have no probs
wink.gif

BTW, where you the one chosen for the Scottish Dressage Team??? Thought I saw something on my facebook!

Marquire

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The water at Burgie at least is near the end and is straight forward and welcoming so you should have no probs
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was there two weeks ago for the pick a fence and he went straight through the water no problems and was bold to everything else so I'm feeling okay about it
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]BTW, where you the one chosen for the Scottish Dressage Team??? Thought I saw something on my facebook!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I am one of those picked for the Scottish Team-
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
so so chuffed especially as Mr S failed his vetting when I bought him
blush.gif
and wouldn't canter left for love nor money
shocked.gif
!

Hornby

Visit site
What a great report (so nice to read about the butterflies and the success, I think you are all very brave to get air borne at all!
blush.gif
tongue.gif
). Your horse is stunning!