Late Spring...

AMH

Visit site
Anyone else finding the weather affecting their mares this 'Spring'? After the TB mare slipped in Feb, I'm waiting with fingers and toes crossed for her to come into season so we can have her covered, but so far no joy. :(

We had a devil's own job getting her in foal last year, which I put down to the weather being horribly cold and rainy, and she finally took on the last gasp attempt in June. Before last year she'd had three foals, two WB crosses with AI and one TB by natural cover, and was bang in first time every time.

I'm told that she's not the only one at the stud with this problem, and was wondering if anyone else is having similar troubles?

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
I used to have a similar issue with my mare. Was an easy breeder. Kept getting told it was the weather. Had a bunch of tests done and all clear. Other issues with my mares led me to ditch soya all together. In all balancers and commercial feeds as main ingredient in various forms. Bred the mare the following March 2nd during a snow storm and very up and down weather. She took no problems. Surprised my vet who was going for the weather excuse as we were preparing for the scan.

Terri (((FF)))

Hurricanelady

Visit site
I used to have a similar issue with my mare. Was an easy breeder. Kept getting told it was the weather. Had a bunch of tests done and all clear. Other issues with my mares led me to ditch soya all together. In all balancers and commercial feeds as main ingredient in various forms. Bred the mare the following March 2nd during a snow storm and very up and down weather. She took no problems. Surprised my vet who was going for the weather excuse as we were preparing for the scan.

Terri (((FF)))

I use a feed which doesn't contain any soya - Thunderbrook base mix. All mine (10 months to 19 years inc brood mare) do very well on it, + grass nuts and oats as necessary for extra condition/energy. It's a bit frustrating (and not clear until you discuss it with them) that you have to add half quantities of a vitamin and mineral supplement for youngstock and broodmares, however I use the Pegavite one which is well priced.