Late weaning in Dorset

Bearskin

Visit site
I have a 9 month old filly foal that has been left on its dam over the winter (was a small foal and wanted it to have a good winter's growth. Dam not in foal.) The foal is now huge, independent, ready to be weaned and longing for friends of its own age.

Is anyone else here in the same situation? She is the only foal I bred last year and have never weaned one so late before. Any suggestions as to how I should proceed?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I weaned my foal and put her with a 27 year old section A mare. I do not have any other youngstock apart from calves, so the foal had no youngsters to play with.

She was fine, the old pony did play with her a little but also kept the foal very much in her place, they wintered out and look super, they have now gone back in the field, (5 months after weaning), with the foals dam (13 yrs old) and another mare (22 years old).

The first day of all 4 being together was a bit fraught, the dam was stroppy and chased the foal a little, but all settled after 24 hours.

The foal is 10 months old now and very sensible, which I think can be attributed to living with older stock. I don't feel she has 'suffered' in anyway from not being in a herd of babies. She is happy and still gets up to mischief by chasing the pheasants and the cat ! The little herd has a run about, bucking and kicking, usually when an unsuspecting rider is hacking up the lane alongside my paddock and the foal joins in.

The old mares all look after the foal and whilst I am sure someone will say it is wrong of me to keep her like this, and she should be in a herd of youngsters enjoying loads of rough and tumble, I simply don't have the ability to do that. The foal is polite, not nappy or suffering from separation anxiety when taken away from the old mares, she leads and is happy to come and go into the stables, and is easy to catch.

Good luck with your foal.

Tempi

Visit site
I dont know whereabouts you are in Dorset, but have you thought about sending your foal away somewhere to live with other youngsters on grass livery? I looked into sending my foal (same age as yours) to this place:

http://www.newlandsfarm.com/

The lady who runs it is really lovely and its good value for the area too.

The only reason I didnt send mine there was because a space came up on my current yard for her to be on grass livery which was much easier for me than having her somewhere else.

MarinaBay

Visit site
My filly is 9 months old too and is due to be weaned in the next month. She was kept on mum due to box rest etc. I am in Bedfordshire though so probably too far for you from Dorset!

Beatrice5

Visit site
My filly had my then 4 yr old New Forest as her nanny and they played and hooned and had a great old time.

She is also very respectful and calm natured and they are all back together and a very happy settled herd now.

Depends on your situation as to what suits you best. My fear of sending my filly away was she may get a little too much rough and tumble and not enough handling plus the cost.