Lateral Digital extensor tendon- hind limb

did1

New User
Visit site
My horse has a lump on her hind leg which is on the anterior, lateral aspect...over the lateral digital extensor tendon. The vet has scanned it and it is thickened (tendonitis) and has small lesion....

She is 1/10th lame which vet has said is due to reverse rotation of pedal bone...now corrected with wedges???

Vet is baffled, does anyone have any experience/ information about this??
confused.gif

wizoz

Visit site
Yes! Our horse kept going lame and after several months of vet visits he was finally bone scanned and was found to have pedal bone rotation in his hind feet and "warm spots in his hocks, more than likely created by having to compensate for finding a more comfortable way of moving!

His treatment was cartrafen injections and heart bar shoes on both hind feet. Since having this done, he has started BE eventing and has not been lame (touch wood) since.

He still has heart bar shoes on as he has to have one more xray, which will hopefully show that his pedal bones are now in the correct position.

We have not seen or felt any lumps associated to this though?

Hope this helps?

puddicat

puddicat.blogspot.com
A few things to chat to your vet about...

I'm assuming the enlargement is on the metatarsus (shannon) as you don't say which bone or what level on the bone. I know what you mean when you say anterior lateral but FYI in quadrupeds below the hock it is termed 'dorso-lateral'.

The lateral digital extensor does not attach to the pedal bone so was your vet suggesting the deviaton in angle of the distal phalanx (pedal bone) was unrelated or related to this condition ? How was the 'reverse rotation' diagnosed - from X-ray (that would be the only way to know) ? Is the enlargement you describe interfering with any adjacent structures and is it painful on palpation ? Is there any sign of a very small puncture wound in the area or evidence of concussion injury ? If the lump isn't painfull and given the LDE doesn't really do much most of the time, perhaps it is not the source of lameness?

did1

New User
Visit site
Hi puddicat!!! this is Did- we discussed magnetic boots once
smile.gif

Yeah, rotation of pedal bone was diagnosed with x-ray...has been x-rayed every time she's been shod!! ...vet knows two separate things and isn't concerned bout lump?

The lump is a soft tissue swelling type of lump. its at the top of the cannon bone and isn't really near the hock..just concerns me that it gets very hot and can be painful on palpation
confused.gif

puddicat

puddicat.blogspot.com
Sorry, yes I remember we never finished that interesting conversation on magnetism and the ball was in my court to do some research I think! I will get around to it eventually
smile.gif

Ahhh of course, having done human physio presumably you will have used the terms anterior and posterior rather than their quadruped equivalents
smile.gif
. OK the lump is interesting, is there any chance you could post a photo of it. There is quite a bit going on just distal to the hock and I'd be interested to see precisely where it is. What about the pedal bone rotation issue do you think that is related ? Odd thing is that it is the long d. e. (joined by the lateral branches of the SL) inserts onto the dosal process of the distal phalanx and is the only tendon that could directly impose a counter rotation moment on that bone.

did1

New User
Visit site
The vet came again last night and she's still no better, she's going to see if Insurance will cover MRI? But in mean time she is bringing her colleague with her next week to re-assess with blocks again!!! He's very very good!!!

The only thing she can dream up..which she thinks isnt feasible...but, because flat feet (causing pedal bone) and long sloped pasterns, lateral rot at hock (Not sure horse terms??) could stress DE..causing this chronic inflamation??

But, suspensory is more likley to be injured in that circumstance and she is suspiscious as DE tends to have little significance???

I'l have a look now at what you just suggested!!! :)