Latest Mallenders treatment

holeymoley

Visit site
I’m not sure if that’s spelt correctly so I apologise if not.

I’m wondering what’s the latest most effective treatments for Mallenders? (Scabs behind the knee) I used to treat successfully with MSM ointment years ago but didn’t continue when someone pinched it! Since then I trim the hair down as much as I can and normally sudocrem it. My guy seems to have a bit of an angry looking case at the moment though- very scabby and sore to touch. I’ve washed it with hibi scrub and warm water to loosen the scabs this evening but not sure where to go from there. I’m paranoid about the skin breaking and getting infected. The other leg is fine?! I’m wondering if there’s an environmental issue playing a part too as I’ve not long moved back to a yard we were at years ago.

I’ve seen various lotions that have been made specifically for Mallenders and sallenders but unsure if they’re any good.

ETA - my goodness this phone is changing words to things that don’t even make sense!

chaps89

Visit site
Not hibiscrub, it dries the skin too much, likewise sudocrem.
I've been having amazing success so far this year using neutrogena t-gel shampoo (put on for a few minutes, rinse and repeat) every 3 days and applying aloe Vera gel once or twice a day in between times (wipe it off with a damp cloth periodically, ie apply at am check, wipe off at pm check)
You want to keep the skin as soft and moisturised as possible.
I'm now going to touch wood frantically that having shared this tip it doesn't suddenly stop working for me!

holeymoley

Visit site
Not hibiscrub, it dries the skin too much, likewise sudocrem.
I've been having amazing success so far this year using neutrogena t-gel shampoo (put on for a few minutes, rinse and repeat) every 3 days and applying aloe Vera gel once or twice a day in between times (wipe it off with a damp cloth periodically, ie apply at am check, wipe off at pm check)
You want to keep the skin as soft and moisturised as possible.
I'm now going to touch wood frantically that having shared this tip it doesn't suddenly stop working for me!

Thank you! I knew sudocrem wasn’t the best. The Hibi scrub was a bit of an extreme measure as I wanted to kill any possibility of any nasties in it! I think I may have some aloe Vera gel. I hope it still works after mentioning it! ?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Cob? Mine has stupidly sensitive skin, Mallenders in spades! I’ve tried so many things over the years. The best thing I’ve found is basic baby oil every few days, combed through the feathers and down to the skin, rubbed in. It’s been fabulous as long as I’m consistent.

holeymoley

Visit site
Cob? Mine has stupidly sensitive skin, Mallenders in spades! I’ve tried so many things over the years. The best thing I’ve found is basic baby oil every few days, combed through the feathers and down to the skin, rubbed in. It’s been fabulous as long as I’m consistent.

He’s coloured cob x Welsh , pink skinned! Ah I’m sure I’ve used baby oil in the past... I know I definitely have some of that.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I've been using an Aveeno cream. At first I trimmed the feathers down but it actually seems to be ok since I let them grow a bit again. I've stopped feeding biotin too. Using the Equivita supplement that's specifically for mallenders horses. I don't know if it's helping but I gave the back of his knees a good prod the other day and no reaction and could hardly find any scabbiness. He wasn't too bad to start with though.

Shay

Visit site
I use udder cream - I understand it is pretty much the same as diprobase but cheaper. Avoid the one that has clorhexadine in it - not only is it violent pink it is also basically hibiscrub. But straight forward udder cream works fine. Be careful with baby oil on the skin in sunny weather - you can cook them!

TheSpottyCobby

Visit site
I gently wash the affected area with Coatex medicated dog shampoo and leave for 10 minutes, then wash away with warm water, dry thoroughly and use a little bit of Shapleys light oil to keep the skin soft. Definitely wouldn't use hibiscrub.

If they're really sore then I bathe with warm salty water for a few days and leave them well alone, but usually the above routine keeps them in check. I managed to heal one leg then got complacent and ended up with them on the other leg :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Micky

Visit site
Anyone had any success with farriers mallenders & sallenders cream? My friends cob is horrendous on the back of his knees, to the point she struggles to touch them without him kicking/fidgeting...and he won’t let her clip them because of the soreness...

Surbie

Visit site
Both me & friend are successfully using oil on our cobs. She uses baby oil, I rub in a little olive oil daily in summer & douse mine in pig oil & sulphur in winter.

I do still use sudo or E45 on bits that are more angry-looking - interesting that to read that sudo can be drying. I'd not come across that before.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Farr
Anyone had any success with farriers mallenders & sallenders cream? My friends cob is horrendous on the back of his knees, to the point she struggles to touch them without him kicking/fidgeting...and he won’t let her clip them because of the soreness...

Yes I use it with success, needs to be used daily for my mare. Plus clipped out all the time . I did read about feeding marigold and clivers. Ever sceptical I doubted its usefulness but tried a bag from Equus. much to my amazement the mare made huge improvement and remains on marigold/clivers.

holeymoley

Visit site
Farr

Yes I use it with success, needs to be used daily for my mare. Plus clipped out all the time . I did read about feeding marigold and clivers. Ever sceptical I doubted its usefulness but tried a bag from Equus. much to my amazement the mare made huge improvement and remains on marigold/clivers.

What was the bag of from Equus? I’ve heard if the marigolds and cleavers but had visions of hand picking!

[59668]

Visit site
I've been running warm water over it until the scabs soften, loosening off any I can, then putting tea tree shampoo on and rubbing that in and rinsing off, then leaving to dry. Before she goes out i cover it in hoof to heel aloe gel.

Brownmare

Visit site
Has anyone used Meddi-mud for mallenders? I used it for the first time last winter on some nasty infected mud fever and it cleared it up so fast I was very impressed! The product blurb says it also works for mallenders and sweet itch.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I've just bought a new pony for my daughter who came with very bad mallenders hidden under her thick feathers. I'm using Camrosa ointment on them because I already had some in the cupboard, seems to be working well but only 4 days in.