Law and horses. ?

Ellen Durow

Visit site
Does it say in the law how slow or fast you have to drive by a horse on a public road ?
No law as such but there has long been a general recommendation that "twenty is plenty" . 20mph is seen to be a low enough speed to be safe but not so slow that the horses have time to be agitated by a crawling veihcle. However, common sense is the guiding principle.

Mugs

Visit site
If it were me on my horse (she'd never do that anyway);
If I thought it was mine/horses fault, I'd be exchanging insurance details with the owner of the parked car.

If I thought it was down to the moving car, then exchange all 3 parties insurance details, and let the insurers fight it out.

If I were the driver;
Exchange my insurance details with the other two parties, and not admit liability, but be honest about the circumstances, and would possibly have involved the police at the time.

-

I have a funny feeling though that the car insurers will come down on the horse owner and the horse insurer (if they even have one) will lose out.

The basis for this is that there will be conflicting evidence as to how fast/close the moving car was so it's not clear as to fault, whereas there can be no dispute the horse kicked the parked car.

All of the above has no basis in law and is my own personal view (so probably not helpful at all)..... mmmm my conclusion - let the insurers fight it out, and everyone will just have to accept their findings!

Stuff happens in life, no one got hurt, and that's why we have insurance

jess2353

Visit site
Very true mugs.
There going down the insurance route anyway non avoidable really when you have to live next door to someone that's making
Things abit difficult.

these situations can't always be
Helped.
Thanks everyone for their advice. likes mugs said no one was injured And I'm sure whatever gets decided will be in the best outcome.
And even better the horse that was being treated by the vet appears to be fine after it was seen hacking out & about today :)

Lizzie66

Visit site
admittedly we only have one side of the story but it sounds as though the rider/horse is more at fault than your friend.

the rider had the option to ride on a track to the side of the road and chose not to, your friend slowed down and pulled out to pass "slow and wide", at this point the horse got on his toes and went sideways down the road and kicked a stationary car in front of it.

it doesn`t sound as though your friend did anything wrong