Law Lords reject hunt challenge.

Reginald

Visit site
Time for the Countryside Alliance to flog even more badges to fund these shambolic legal challenges...

The Countryside Alliance has lost its legal challenge to overturn the ban on hunting with hounds.
The pressure group argued that the ban contravened human rights and put thousands of jobs at risk.

The law was passed by the government in 2004 using the Parliament Act to overturn opposition in the Lords.

But the Law Lords unanimously ruled in favour of the ban. The Law Lords have also dismissed a similar appeal relating to Scotland.

The ban prohibits fox hunting, deer hunting and hare coursing with dogs in England and Wales.

The Countryside Alliance argued that it violated the human rights of thousands of people and was putting between six and eight thousand jobs at risk.

But the Law Lords rejected the argument ruling the democratic process risked being subverted if opponents of the ban won in the courts but not in Parliament.

The former Lord Chief Justice, Lord Bingham, headed the panel. He accepted that fox hunting is very important to the traditions and life of the countryside.

But he ruled: "The democratic process is liable to be subverted if, on a question of moral and political judgment, opponents of the act achieve through the courts what they could not achieve in Parliament."

It's not the first time the Countryside Alliance has suffered a legal setback.

Two years ago the Lords rejected an appeal made on constitutional grounds. The Alliance argued the ban was illegal because it had been originally passed using the Parliament Act without the consent of the House of Lords.

The Law Lords also refused an appeal brought by members of the Union of Country Sports Workers through the Scottish courts.

The Countryside Alliance is now planning to appeal to the European Court of Human Rights.

The group's chief executive Simon Hart said: "To have found in our favour would have meant the Law Lords finding that the government has allowed fundamental human rights and European Law to be violated.

"We believe that the European courts will support this view."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7116818.stm

faerie666

Visit site
No, the ones like Mr Wrights case, who was ruled not guilty only a few days ago on appeal. ;-)
None of the other cases have a definite outcome yet, as far as I know. If there are any that have gone through every stage of appeal, and the accused was still found guilty, please point them out to me, would you?
Oh that's right, you can't, as Wright was the first person to be charged, so none of the other cases have got this far yet.

Blairite

Visit site
A good decision by Law Lords.

Where were these thousands of job losses in the countryside?

Employment is at record levels!

I have heard that charity shops are being given record numbers of Hunting Horns and Hunting Pinks as people turn their backs on Hunting in their thousands ;-)

Regards

Lord_Blairite

Blairite

Visit site
Red Cross, Oxfam, Countryside Alliance Jumble Sale - Hunters in Need.

Many of these outlets will be able to sell you those items for 25p or less. Also if you have any spare stables or kennel space, the Countryside Alliance might be willing to rent it from you for office space!

Regards

Blairite

Visit site
Wurzel old boy.

As you now know, the Hunting Act 2004 makes Hunting with Hounds an illegal pursuit, punishable by death. (Wishful thinking!)

If you breach the Act you could be CONVICTED of an offence. Why not try something else now Wurzel old boy, your getting on a bit now! Fencing or Croquet are very popular so I hear. Or perhaps a spot of Rambling. The Right to Roam legislation introduced by this Government has revolutionised the way people percieve the rural communites and is a welcome measure now and in the long term.

Regards

wurzel

Visit site
"If you breach the Act you could be CONVICTED of an offence."

I DO breach the act, I may have been/have to appear in court and I don't give the slightest toss about it.

"The Right to Roam legislation introduced by this Government has revolutionised the way people percieve the rural communites and is a welcome measure now and in the long term."

What language is this?

Anyway, we had a fine day out today with the Stag hounds. Were you there ?

winterhorse

Visit site

Or perhaps a spot of Rambling. The Right to Roam legislation introduced by this Government has revolutionised the way people percieve the rural communites and is a welcome measure now and in the long term.

Regards [/quote]

if it wasn't for this jackassed government and the right to roam act hunting wouldn't have been banned because that was the problem, the hunting folk asked permission to hunt from the land owner and the anti bashers just roamed as if it was there god given right...
everyone in the countryside got pissed off and thats why the countryside is against the anti not the fact they try and stop hunting it's the fact we ask to go you just [****] walk when the light is still on red .

wrighty

Visit site
"was there god given right"
What about people who don't believe in a god?

"everyone in the countryside got pissed off"
Sweeping generalisation there, I live in the counrty and I wasn't pissed off.

"the right to roam act hunting wouldn't have been banned"
Of course, it was the ramblers that brought about the act, all those rucksack carrying, wolley hat wearing activists trying to protect the wildlife.

I don't know the last time I heard so much BS (Possibly from Blairite when he goes into a political speach). Are you honestly saying that the Gov brought in the act because the Anti's could walk freely in the countryside?

Eagle_day

Visit site
"Of course, it was the ramblers that brought about the act, all those rucksack carrying, wolley hat wearing activists trying to protect the wildlife."

Since when did unrestricted public access have anything to do with nature conservation? Why are the best nature reserves of all the MOD ranges?

wrighty

Visit site
I think you missed the point of that one, I'll put up the odd LOL or HEHEHE on the next one.
Ramblers are guilty of distroying the countryside in places with there thousands of feet wearing away the land and all their litter.
(I am not saying everyone who walks in the countryside destroy it, lots know the best way to leave no impact)

The point of the post was to point out how rediculous the claim was that the right to roam caused the hunting act.

Blairite

Visit site
<<I DO breach the act, I may have been/have to appear in court and I don't give the slightest toss about it.>>

A clear admission from a member of the Hunting Fraternity, boasting about breaking the law. A common criminal no less. Law is law Wurzel.

<<What language is this?>>

Tigranya.

<<Anyway, we had a fine day out today with the Stag hounds. Were you there ?>>

No, I was not. Which Hounds were these and did you hunt legally as proscribed in the Act?

Regards

Eagle_day

Visit site
"The point of the post was to point out how ridiculous the claim was that the right to roam caused the hunting act."

No, of course it didn't. But the same Nanny-State attitude probably did. Always remember, when things aren't going well, government interference can make things an awful lot worse.