Laying down

Ash and Belle

Visit site
I need a simple and easy way to teach my horse to lay down, I ride bareback but am too short to jump on and don't always have the facilities, I have seen this before and decided to try it if anyone knows how to help. Thanks for any feedback.

Mule

Visit site
Look up clicker training. There's a YouTube channel called Connection Training. They are reliable and they have a video that shows how to do it.

Sleipnir

Visit site
Is it the 26yo horse that you ride? Then don't teach to lay down if you are going to use that for mounting. Getting up with a rider is incredibly hard for their joints. Instead, teach the horse how to line up to any object you could use as a mounting block - logs, rocks, fences etc.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Is it the 26yo horse that you ride? Then don't teach to lay down if you are going to use that for mounting. Getting up with a rider is incredibly hard for their joints. Instead, teach the horse how to line up to any object you could use as a mounting block - logs, rocks, fences etc.

Think there's another post on here from this poster?? Re. lunging her older horse?? I and others have posted on that post suggesting this isn't a good idea.

Now she's wanting to teach the poor old boy to lie down so's she can get up on him. Can't help feeling sorry for the old lad - this is a very difficult manoevre for any horse let alone an old one. For pity's sake!

Also the words "don't try to teach an old dog new tricks" comes to mind..........

[153312]

Visit site
The age matters because op, from what they have so far posted on here, comes across very young - much younger than they are claiming to be. How old they actually are affects what is an appropriate way to respond to their queries and is useful context to have when answering.
I don't think it's unreasonable given what they've been posting.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Sorry everyone, I Just got a horse last year and I don't know much about them, I have a riding coach and I will ask her about the basic handling.
Why did you get a horse if you don't know much about them ?
Please for the sake of these poor horses you seem to have , put them on livery somewhere where experienced people can teach you.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I need a simple and easy way to teach my horse to lay down, I ride bareback but am too short to jump on and don't always have the facilities, I have seen this before and decided to try it if anyone knows how to help. Thanks for any feedback.

It is very bad for a horse's back to stand up from lying down with a rider's weight on it. Learn to vault on or use a mounting block.