Lazy pony and little legs

EmmasMummy

Visit site
DD is now riding off the lead rein and seems addicted to trotting everywhere! BUT, the pony is a tubby shetty, and DD is struggling to get her going - I am usually helping with an extra firm voice aid and sometimes a wee chase behind.
But I don't want to have to keep doing this - not from the point that its a pain to me, but to the point that DD needs to get motivating the pony herself. But, how? Her legs are quite past the saddle flaps, but she just cant get her going. Or, she does do a big kick and pony tell her where to stick it, and thus she will not try to gee her along.
She is not used to the PC club style, as the sec A was very much a light touch and hes off.

How would you preceed? Just keep on with the chasing or what else do you all suggest?

Tnavas

Visit site
She needs to learn how to carry and use a short whip. Put them on the lunge, DD is responsible for getting pony going, tap one with legs, if ignored tap again, tap three is accompanied by a sharp tap behind her leg, and you flicking the lunge whip.

Keep practising, on the lunge is good as you don't have to run around and if pony gets too smart you can retrieve control.

By the way - to all, - it bugs me that people refer to the Pony Club kick, there is no such thing, if I caught any of our pony club kids booting their ponies sparks would fly. Early in the Manual, pony club teaches the rider how to hold and use their whip correctly.

EmmasMummy

Visit site
I had wondered if letting her use a whip was a cop out but if its recommended then shall go with that, and no doubt some hideous pink monstrosity. I was just brough up hearing it referred to as that, although i would say it should be called a flogging the half dead riding school pony kick. I personally hate to see them ever booting the pony.

Shall try the lunge, I am assuming this pony lunges though. It is a lot quieter than our own one, but i think its been a sit on it till it complies backing it has had. Hates anything over about 8st.

twiggy2

Visit site
is the pony fit enough for what you are asking? maybe when the weight has gone the pony will be a bit keener?
I second the lungeing but not the whip as I think your daughter is very young and using a whip throws them off balance and can cause pulling on the reins, also if the pony 'tells her where to go' when she using legs strongly the chances are it wont accept whip aids.
I would look possibly at rebacking the pony if you are not sure about how well it has been done before.

Tnavas

Visit site
is the pony fit enough for what you are asking? maybe when the weight has gone the pony will be a bit keener?
I second the lungeing but not the whip as I think your daughter is very young and using a whip throws them off balance and can cause pulling on the reins, also if the pony 'tells her where to go' when she using legs strongly the chances are it wont accept whip aids.
I would look possibly at rebacking the pony if you are not sure about how well it has been done before.

I teach ALL my riders to carry a whip, how and when to use it. So long as they learn the correct way to use it they are fine - the correct way Reins in one hand - stick in the other, use behind the leg. The riders that try and use the whip while still holding the rein have not been taught how to use it. Considering the hundreds of children I've had go through the school they have all coped very well. Every child rode with a whip, as a result my school ponies and horses were free moving and obedient.

Hayjay

Visit site
I had the same issue with our 12.2 loan pony. My 8 year old dd came off the lead rein and could not get him to trot, unless I was around to chase or wave lunge whip. A stick was out of the question as pony will kick out and I agree with other poster that it may throw them off balance. We had lots of frustrated tears! However we have had him five months now and it has improved. As her balance and confidence has improved she can get him to trot and even a few strides of canter. It is big kicks but he's getting the message. If he needs encouragement we only encourage from behind to try and get pony out of lead rein mentality! He was too slow for many that viewed him and I had my doubts in the beginning but he has turned out the perfect pony for my daughter. If she had something more responsive and accidentally gave the wrong signal it would shatter her delicate confidence. I've also found pony has got better as she has improved so I think the lovely little man is just looking after her very well :)
Forgot to say, I always encourage dd to use her voice and praise pony when he responds.

Last edited:

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Have you got another horse to do ride and lead from. I know you want her to ride off the lead rein but if you can take the Shetland out regularly and get him fitter you might find him becoming more forward going. Ours really changed after being taken out on hacks (unridden at first) with the big horses.

Shay

Visit site
I suspect many go through this stage. My daughter's legs weren't really off the saddle flap with her first pony and the only way to communicate "go" was to flap her legs against the saddle flap. The heel couldn't make contact at all. We did a bit of chasing with a lunge whip at first too! So - she will get through it.

Yes sometimes a whip - correctly held and used - is the right answer. If her legs are long enough to make contact I'm a big fan of the "double kick". Kids ponies often get used to riders just banging away and not actually making a dent. So rather than one prod with the heels (I am not talking about booting here!) prod twice really quickly. If there is no response back it up with a stick if she can manage it. When they are very little (is she the lass in your avatar?) their hands are sometimes too small to manage stick and reins together.

There is also no harm in teaching a voice command. I hate people who click constantly at their horses but we taught our daughter's pony to move forward off a rising trill and slow / stop on a descending sound. (A trick a dressage rider taught me as you can do it with your mouth closed in a test - but she's a way off that!) You can teach the pony that lunging and / or long reining. It won't be 100% - but its part of the tool box. Out thinking the little ponies is the trick we found!

I like Gloi's idea too about get the pony fitter and out and about a bit more. Its easy for little ponies to get school sour as their little riders can't do much more with them.

And if nothing else... time. Shocking little time with kids actually. She'll grow, get longer legs and get stronger in her body. She's far better off with something she has to work at a bit than something too sharp!

Merlod

Visit site
Agree RE the stick :) just another thought, is she usually ridden in an arena/ field? She may be bored just trotting around, maybe a hack out and trotting out will engage her native brain and make her a bit more forward! :)

Kezzabell2

Visit site
using a whip isn't a cope out! If she kicks and he ignores her then she needs to tell him to move by using the whip! I'm sure he will soon learn to list to her legs after she's used the whip a few times!!

He's probably never been trained properly, so your little one will have to do the hard work by the looks of it :)

Tnavas

Visit site
using a whip isn't a cope out! If she kicks and he ignores her then she needs to tell him to move by using the whip! I'm sure he will soon learn to list to her legs after she's used the whip a few times!!

He's probably never been trained properly, so your little one will have to do the hard work by the looks of it :)

Totally agree

EmmasMummy

Visit site
Its a loan pony, so not really keen to be having it rebacked - and trying to find someone sub 7/8 st to do it. My mate was going to ride her but she is just 9st (still a size 8 though!) and pony told her to get lost rather unpolitely. DD isnt very tiny - I think she is just the right size for pony at the moment. see:
k9zwat.jpg

We have only been in a school the past 2 times she road as other yard didnt have one. I think tonight I will take them up the field (on the lead rein!) for a hack. We had been doing a wee hack up the road to a field then a walk round the field practising the aids.
I do agree she is a bit unfit, but not being ridden for more than 30 mins at each time, and prob only a few mins trot - though as I am usually jogging around with her it feels like an eternity!!! But hey, getting me fit as well.

I am going to source some cones and games stuff as I think that will subconsciously get her more active if she thinks she is working towards winning something. We are doing Pizza delivery whilst we walk around at the moment (Circles are making the pizza then we do our turns to get it to its delivery letter etc). I think her balance is quite good, the other day she thought it funny to trot around with her arms out like a plane - no reins. She is lucky this pony really cant be bothered taking off with her.

Lintel

Visit site
Would agree with other on maybe hacking out etc- natives get bored very easily. Even setting some sort of games for her to do keep the pony awake.
But the stick sounds the best option!
I'd much rather see a child using a crop correctly than boot.boot.booting the pony!

Tnavas

Visit site
Kids are very good at learning and its best to teach them correctly from day 1

How to hold the reins in one hand
Riding%20-%20reins%20in%20one%20hand.png

How to use a short whip correctly
Riding%20-%20Using%20the%20whip%20correctly.png

Thanks New Zealand Pony Club for the use of the pictures in Pony Club Manual 1 - D, D+ & C

EmmasMummy

Visit site
Erm, that's quite some dropped belly that the pony is sporting. She couldn't be preggers, could she? If not, then she could do with going on a diet. Losing weight may well give her some more energy.

She has had 2 foals and was apparently kept in a barn before the people I got her from got her. I am going to section off her grazing tomorrow as she is in a quarantine paddock as we moved yards. Strangely some days she looks fatter than others.
I admit I did wonder and I stood for a good 15 mins feeling her belly, she was like "wth you doing?" . She isnt wobbly fat, if that makes sense? Liek on her back its not flabby when you try to shoogle her. When I first got my old cob 11 years ago you could shoogle him and see the fat move.

We tried with the stick tonight and DD used it once, and then that was it, didn't have to use it again she was super responsive - HOWEVER - she upped her game and decided to nap to the gate when the girls rode her past there so we decided to concentrate on them telling the pony not the pony telling them, and after 20 mins it was working. I say them as she is sharing the pony with her friend, so they were taking it in turns to ride for 10 mins at a time. It seems to spur them on to try and outdo each other.

I think she looks a tad thinner with DS on her.
bfon5l.jpg
21o0xsy.jpg

Last edited:

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I would get the pony a lot fitter. Try a stick, our 11.3 Welsh x Shetland pony is a slug unless she carries a stick but with an older child she's actually quite firey. I had occasion to ride her recently because she had jumped my daughter off over a water tray (it was 20cms she was jumping 90cms, just in case!) numerous times and I couldn't believe how fast she was with me (ridiculously big) on her.

Her previous owner thought they had hit the ceiling wth her abilities however we have her much slimmer and fitter and I think she will last my daughter ability wise, a lot longer than I first thought.

She beat my sporty cob in a stubble field gallop the other night and I was definitely trying to win!

EmmasMummy

Visit site
I would get the pony a lot fitter. Try a stick, our 11.3 Welsh x Shetland pony is a slug unless she carries a stick but with an older child she's actually quite firey. I had occasion to ride her recently because she had jumped my daughter off over a water tray (it was 20cms she was jumping 90cms, just in case!) numerous times and I couldn't believe how fast she was with me (ridiculously big) on her.

Her previous owner thought they had hit the ceiling wth her abilities however we have her much slimmer and fitter and I think she will last my daughter ability wise, a lot longer than I first thought.

She beat my sporty cob in a stubble field gallop the other night and I was definitely trying to win!

That sounds like our sec a! He beat a 15h cob in a gallop.
The girls are riding for about 30 mins each and thats going to be a min 5 days a week. I'll get the paddock sectioned off asap. Yo joked it would be like a mini sports horse.

I spoke to the owner abd they say its 3 foals she has had, BUT that they cannot be 100% sure she is not in foal.