Lead rein outfit help

xxmariexx

Visit site
Hi, really need some help for a lead rein outfit, we've been competing all summer successfully at local level and have qualified for the sunshine tour, now I'm thinking I need a 'proper' outfit 😁 my daughter has since this photo got a navy velvet show hat, I currently just wear my skull cap, I'm on a budget so can I really look the part if I keep to my tweed jacket and change my trousers and hat?? Which colours? stock or tie? Colour gloves? I massively want to look as good as I can but not in a financial position to buy matching jackets yet 😂 she also wears a pink tie with white spots is that ok at a higher level or perhaps should I pick up a navy for the shows above local level??

be positive

Visit site
Smart pony and cute little rider, the turnout could be tweaked without spending too much, you need a pair of navy or brown trousers or a skirt, I think navy can look smarter than brown but it is up to you, get a shirt/ blouse with a high neck that does not need a tie, a hat that matches the trousers/ skirt so brown or navy and a pair of brown gloves and you are ready to go.
For your little girl I would try and find a shirt that is tighter round her neck so the tie sits up higher, not easy with childrens sizes but may be possible, if you can only find white wash it with a new duster to make it cream then see if you can find a tie she likes that is easily tied into a smaller knot so it sits into her collar and looks neater, a pair of brown gloves for her and with the new brown boots she will look the part, I would be tempted to find some darker buttons for the jacket as they look like fashion ones, if you trim the corners off the numbers they will look neater and smarter, good luck with the sunshine tour.

xxmariexx

Visit site
Ok, sounds do-able, I'm thinking navy (but tweed jackets) to match hats, so I just need trousers and hat, as for Leah unfortunately we kitted her out with a jacket from matalan, although she always gets lovely comments as its slightly 'pretty' compared to a proper one, and her shirt was a charity shop �� And haven't yet managed to find gloves small enough!! Will start looking for gloves, surely somewhere will do gloves for tiny tiny hands?? Will defiantly get her a shirt, totally agree it looks scruffy, I've also noticed trimmed numbers (she's so small they fill her back) and just last week picked up some magnetic buttons to hold number on so no more need for string! Thank you for comment lady in red, them two together are so photogenic ☺️ They could fill a whole photo album for the amount of pics we have! We've done brilliantly this year dressed as we are but I just feel at hickstead we would get swallowed up ��

*shetlandpony*

New User
Visit site
eBay is very good for finding cheap skirts etc.
Charity shops can have some hidden gems :)
Your lovely daughter will need some gloves.
I got my daughters gloves from hackamore stud, they were only £3. I think they may even be shires? She was 4yrs old when we got them so you can get tiny ones :)
We qualified for the sunshine tour, wish we could go but so hard when you don't have a trailer :( best of luck! X

*shetlandpony*

New User
Visit site
This is us if it's any help. We have only just started out, our first show was in June.
Most of my outfit was just from normal high street shops :) the most expensive part of my outfit was my hat, which was £20 something.
I'm hoping once I've saved some pennies, I can get a matching jacket but until then this is what I'm wearing :) X

Download-File

Last edited:

Dannylandrover

Visit site
I agree with lots of the tips above, try pretty ponies as they do second hand jackets and sometimes full LR kits. defo need gloves on jockey as well as i would sew elastic on the jods rather than jod clips as it looks smarter and will not scratch saddle. I would use thin elastic for number with loops on end to hook round onto buttons of jacket. Culottes are good for the leader as they are easier to run in. Good luck on sunshine tour.