Lead rein showing!

Okedene12

New User
Visit site
Help!

I know its a few months away yet but I'm wanting to take my 2 year old daughter to her first shows next season at our local shows, I've done ridden showing before but never lead rein! I will be using my daughter coloured cob. Some pictures of coloured cobs in lead rein showing will really help?

Do they allow inky dinky saddles?

Brown or black tack?

What should my daughter wear?

What should I wear?

Reins to use with her being 2 and can't really hold onto them?

What classes to enter her in?

What is the show piece?

I know its only local shows but want to get it right! Any advice is much appreciated!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
A picture of the cob would be good

Brown is always best but local not essential

I would try and match the rider you can buy matching lead rein outfits, not cheap but if not a similar colour is all you need, I would Google lead rein shows and go with what you feel comfortable with and how perfect you want to be.

JackFrost

Visit site
I have stewarded at a lot of these. I don't know the rules but what I have learnt is -

1. You and your daughter must be matchy-matchy and look like you spend too much on clothes
2. YOU must be very rude to anyone you speak to, take no notice of the judge or steward and berate your child often
3. You daughter must NOT look like she is enjoying herself, preferably she will be crying
4. Your pony will be an absolute star despite it all

Have fun, and make sure your little girl has the best day ever.

J&S

Visit site
A two year old child would not be allowed to ride at our local show. They have to be three years old in the January of that year.

humblepie

Visit site
I have stewarded at a lot of these. I don't know the rules but what I have learnt is -

1. You and your daughter must be matchy-matchy and look like you spend too much on clothes
2. YOU must be very rude to anyone you speak to, take no notice of the judge or steward and berate your child often
3. You daughter must NOT look like she is enjoying herself, preferably she will be crying

I was watching a very posh lead rein class over the summer which may have been a HOYS qualifier, not sure and the ponies were all gorgeous but one beautiful one which was like a mini thoroughbred stood out - the very small child was just sitting on the top beaming at everyone, looking to the people around the ring, not anywhere else, reins were loose and it was like she was sitting on a chair at a party!

windand rain

Visit site
It is a very serious business :) the pony should be under 12hh and suitable for the size of the child and an absolute saint. At local level it is not quite so important as you see all sorts but you should match, the pony should be sparkling and the lead rein attached to the nose band. Ideally brown tack and I have never seen the inky dinky saddle used in the ring. I agree most places expect the child to be 3 or over

Visit site

Yeah that about sums it up ??? the leader must also not look they are enjoying it and seem harassed ???

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211117-102018_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20211117-102018_Facebook.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 38

abbijay

Visit site
Check your schedule; although many insist on 12hh and under not all do. Similarly most will have upper and lower age limits not all do.
Unsurprisingly we just went for fun. I wasn't going to spend a fortune on matching tweed so turned up clean and tidy as we could.
We entered best turned out and thelwell pony and came 2nd/2 and 3rd/3 (I think we were robbed in the thelwell but that's another story)
And we didn't connect the lead to the noseband because he's 18.1hh and my twins were only 4 at the time!
20232273_1501033583290541_3136609903342823042_o.jpg
20232176_1501033476623885_7391939531335837937_o.jpg20248029_1501033413290558_1183977985195361892_o.jpg

sportsmansB

Visit site
My best friend does this and I have had the misfortune of having to assist on a couple of occasions...
It depends if you are there for fun or there to try and actually get placed

If you want placed you will need to get a ridiculously expensive outfit which makes you look like Mary Poppins and that women have not yet got the vote. No matter how warm it is, both you and the child must swelter in misery (while men can wear just a shirt and tie...)
Also the balance support reins, while helpful, won't help you win
Child MUST smile no matter how miserable they are, how hot it is, or how long they have been waiting and walking around
Pony MUST stand still in line
Yes to brown tack, a brown numnah the same shape and size as the saddle, sometimes, randomly a white girth (not sure what the idea is there)

A bucketload of patience and a sense of humour when some ancient bad tempered judge makes you and child cry