Lead suggestions for springer

Rootsinriding

Visit site
Hey everyone, I’ve a springer spaniel who I rescued around 3 years ago. She’s pretty obedient most of the time but walking her is a total pain. I’ve tried the flat collar and she almost chokes herself, same with the slip lead, tried different halti type leads which worked for my German shepherd but are so uncomfortable on her and she spends half the walk trying to get it off. Anyone have any other lead suggestions? She’s just so hyper once she’s outside even though she’s walked daily if not several times a day o_O

rara007

Visit site
Not necessarily the answer you want but work on him accepting the halti, treat it like muzzle training. Or figure 8 the slip lead. I don’t walk my springer on the lead now, beyond getting him to somewhere safe to be loose. On lead does nothing for him other than an hour of extreme excitement. If I had more time/had had him younger I’m sure he could learn to walk nicely but his and my cortisol levels are much happier either in the house or off lead. He also Cani-Xs but it is perfectly possible to train an off switch with time and discipline, the on switch is automatically very on for him!

Rootsinriding

Visit site
Not necessarily the answer you want but work on him accepting the halti, treat it like muzzle training. Or figure 8 the slip lead. I don’t walk my springer on the lead now, beyond getting him to somewhere safe to be loose. On lead does nothing for him other than an hour of extreme excitement. If I had more time/had had him younger I’m sure he could learn to walk nicely but his and my cortisol levels are much happier either in the house or off lead. He also Cani-Xs but it is perfectly possible to train an off switch with time and discipline, the on switch is automatically very on for him!

I’ve tried training her to wear the halti like a muzzle and she’s been wearing it for around 2 years but she’s just never gotten used to it! I also feel like it can’t be good for her head/neck if she’s still pulling so trying to find an alternative. She’s fine off lead but on the daily I don’t usually have time to take her to an off lead area where she can really get her energy out. It’s usually a once a week thing if even.

druid

Visit site
She’s fine off lead but on the daily I don’t usually have time to take her to an off lead area where she can really get her energy out. It’s usually a once a week thing if even.

This sounds like a lot of your problem - is she getting enough exercise/mental stimulation? Maybe look at scent work/agility/mental games instead of lead walks for her.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Figure of eight. I can walk mine with one finger each. I’m the same as Rara, they aren’t on leads except to go to the park, road work, cross the road etc. Mine need a job, not endless exercise. I used a gun dog trainer when I realised they weren’t like my previous springers (happy to mooch round the woods). They live to retrieve. We’re just slowing them down a tiny bit, they’re 11 this year and still as active as ever, but we’re trying to safeguard their future.

Attachments

• 1613904398680.jpeg
    1613904398680.jpeg
    430.2 KB · Views: 14

Rootsinriding

Visit site
Figure of eight. I can walk mine with one finger each. I’m the same as Rara, they aren’t on leads except to go to the park, road work, cross the road etc. Mine need a job, not endless exercise. I used a gun dog trainer when I realised they weren’t like my previous springers (happy to mooch round the woods). They live to retrieve. We’re just slowing them down a tiny bit, they’re 11 this year and still as active as ever, but we’re trying to safeguard their future.
They're adorable, mine is a failed gun dog so I may look into getting her a dummy and see if she’s still interested. The lead I have at the moment is a gentle leader and only controls the nose so I’ll try the figure of 8 to see if it makes a difference.

Bellasophia

Visit site
Harness,leather collar and a k9 double clip lead...

You alternate between unclipping harness or collar..or use both at same time.....depending on your dogs reactive state and your location..

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
They're adorable, mine is a failed gun dog so I may look into getting her a dummy and see if she’s still interested. The lead I have at the moment is a gentle leader and only controls the nose so I’ll try the figure of 8 to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks, they’re my babies!

You don’t need a dummy, just use a ball, make her sit, you ‘hide’ it somewhere obvious, let her watch, walk back to her, tell her to go look. I have a variety of toys, balls, dummies, tug toys, rabbit balls as a reward at the end, it’s very popular! Taking a previously frozen pheasant caused some consternation in the local park, I won’t be doing that again in a hurry! ?

Re the figure of 8, they literally can’t pull with it.

Rootsinriding

Visit site
You don’t need a dummy, just use a ball, make her sit, you ‘hide’ it somewhere obvious, let her watch, walk back to her, tell her to go look. I have a variety of toys, balls, dummies, tug toys, rabbit balls as a reward at the end, it’s very popular!
Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll try a few hide and seek games with her I don’t know why I haven’t thought of it before. We did agility training before a couple summers ago and she loved it, definitely a worker.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
I like the Lupi. Used in conjunction with treats that leave your hands smelling like a cesspit, I’ve had success. I use a coupling lead. A clip on the collar and the Lupi.