Leading by the noseband

gnubee

Visit site
A riding school I used to have lessons at back in the day has just posted their instructions for parents on how to lead ponies for beginners during C-19 when regular staff are not allowed to lead. The entire instructional video shows them with fingers looped through the back of the noseband rather than holding the reins or using a leadrein. I’ve always understood this was a complete no no from a health and safety perspective and a great way to break a couple of fingers if the horse spooks.
Is this now considered appropriate?
Having a friend who ended up with pins reconstructing a finger after a similar accident the whole thing set my teeth on edge, so it is possible I’m being over-sensitive.

Silver Clouds

Visit site
I think that sounds like a recipe for disaster. I get the idea of leading via the noseband rather than the bit/reins, so that you don't interfere with the rider's rein aids, but I don't understand why they wouldn't use a lead rein (although I suppose normal lead ropes may not be safe for the horse because of the clip, the leadrein showing ones would be better).

ETA I meant normal lead ropes with a metal clip not being safe attached to a fitted noseband

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Yes it is a good point, it's probably not the most H&S conscious way to lead.

When I was a kid working at riding schools for my free ride it was always the way we led another child on a pony though. So I guess maybe old habits die hard?

Considering I did it a lot between age 8 and 15 I don't think I ever heard of any notable injuries from doing it. I have broken every finger at least once over the years (all horse related bar one), but not from that particular activity.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Honestly, I think having inexperienced leaders (who are also presumably responsible for helping children to mount/dismount and doing tack checks) is a recipe for problems, regardless of how they're leading. If they don't want them interfering with the bit then a headcollar under the bridle with their own lead rope to attach and detach is probably the best way forwards.

I think they're more likely to break a toe due to having a foot trodden on in potentially inappropriate footwear, though.

phizz4

Visit site
The easiest way of solving the cross contamination leading issue is to give the parent a rope halter and lead rope. That is fitted first and then the bridle goes over the top. No trapped fingers, no times when the horse doesn't have a head collar on and the horse can be held easily by anyone when the bridle is being put on or taken off. The halter and lead rope are synthetic so can be dipped in a bowl of bleach to decontaminate them.

Shay

Visit site
Leading by the noseband is certainly far better than holding the rein. But also far from ideal, especially with an inexperienced handler. Plus I think the school has missed a trick - sell the parent a lead rope! You can clip the leadrope onto the noseband to avoid any risk of pulling the pony about by the mouth.

IrishMilo

Visit site
Terrible idea. Which RS is it? Aside from anything you'd have to be super close to the pony and risk getting your heel trod on.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Terrible idea. Which RS is it? Aside from anything you'd have to be super close to the pony and risk getting your heel trod on.

I agree, and with an inexperienced leader with not much to hold on to, this risks them letting go of the pony, and then you have the potential to get into all sorts of trouble.

I know times are tough for riding schools right now, but I honestly think they shouldn't be having clients back who can't mount/dismount and ride independently right now.

AFB

Visit site
Not exactly H&S but the way I spent my childhood and all fingers still in tact. That said we should be mitigating risk even more than usual at the moment so not good advise.

fiwen30

Visit site
Good grief, there are still RS that are doing this?? My first RS was super dodgy on H&S, and ‘lessons’ were often kids led around by slightly older kids. The older ones were told to lead with their fingers wrapped around the nose band and the snaffle, looking back I’m surprised no one lost a finger, but it sure didn’t teach anyone to ride either!

JFTDWS

Visit site
This was banned at the RS I helped at as a kid after a pony flipped out, the leader's fingers were broken and the kid was tipped off the loose pony and broke an arm. All quite avoidable with the right kit.

J&S

Visit site
For RDA a good leader is crucial, we use head collars under bridles with no nose band so more comfortable for the pony. The lead rope is attached to the head collar and there are three stages of leading dependent on the ability of the rider. Never hold the rope too close to the clip. This form of leading with fingers through the nose band, other than perhaps a very few steps to get the pony going, does not seem sensible or safe practice.