Leading dog while riding

countryfun

Visit site
Hi, can anyone tell me how they lead their dog for exercise while they're riding? It seems like it would be great exercise for an energetic dog! My horse is very good with dogs and wouldn't kick but I'm just wondering how to go about it or if it's not a good idea. I'm thinking a harness on my dog would be kinder than a collar round the neck incase the dog stopped to sniff and got jerked. I'm also thinking of getting a lead that is meant for cycling with a dog that has velcro that comes away if the dog pulls so hard you're likely to be pulled off!

I live near some lovely forestry tracks so plenty of space and not many people r other dogs around.

Thanks for any advice

Sandstone1

Visit site
Its dangerous, what happens if the lead gets caught round the horses legs? What if the horse spooks or steps on the dog? No way would I do it.

countryfun

Visit site
Yes of course, I think that's the answer! She is almost at the point where I could trust her to just come with me off the lead. I think if I work a bit more on her 'down' so I can command her whenever I need her to stay still it would be much safer than having her on a lead next to my horse. She always stays with me when I'm walking with her off lead, not sure what she might think of me on a horse though. She's very used to the horses but has never seen me on one!

Archangel

Visit site
I started my dog on a bike (me on a bike that is, not the dog). She got the hang of remote commands and that she must not stop in front of the bike or get too far ahead. It was easily tranferable to the horse. I am not sure I would use a lead from a horse, too easy for the dog to get tangled round the legs. Horse has to be sensible enough to cope with 30kg of dog rushing through the undergrowth carrying a small tree though!

samlg

Visit site
Mine was no different really when i started taking her for hacks with me. i thought i'd try it one day and called her to come with me and she did and was fine and loves it now!! ( only problem is we have electric boundary fencing so have to get off to walk her over the boundary and back on again, not easy on an 18hh horse!!!)

countryfun

Visit site
That's a good tip thanks to start leading from a bike and it will be good exercise for me too! I can make sure my commands and reactions from my dog are all solid before transferring it to when I'm riding but without a lead.

Thanks for your answers.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have always taught my dog to wait at the end of a track or where the track leads to grass it then makes it easier if you need to cross a road as they just know to wait when the path ends, she will stop automatically now as soon as we reach the end of a pathway or the edge of a road.

countryfun

Visit site
Pinkvboots, that's a brilliant idea. Can you tell me how you taught your dog? My dog is a GSD and doesn't go far away from me, only a couple of paces then she turns her head to check I'm still there! Even so I will need to make sure I can command an instant down incase a rabbit or deer crosses our path and she decides to chase! She hasn't done so yet because any wild animal we've seen has been a little way away but I'm not sure how she would react if one went across right in front of us - the temptation to give chase might take over.

milo'n'molly

Visit site
I agree with others, a lead would be a very bed idea. I take my dog on bike rides and hacks but before this I did I had a dog that would walk to heal happily on foot and would sit down and stay from a distance. Training "this side" (heel at left side of me or horse or bike) and "that side" ( right side) helps with general control.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
OMG! PLEASE do NOT do it, don't even try it.

There was another thread on here a few years back about this I seem to recall so worth a search maybe?

If it goes wrong, think what could happen, i.e. if you use an extendable nylon lead the thing could get caught up round your horse and spook it, and/or the nylon cord could cause a very nasty rope-burn - seem to remember that's what someone was talking about in the thread I'm talking about.

Either get your dog thoroughly trained to come in beside the horse to heel, OR leave it at home. I would love to take my two dogs hacking out with me, but they're totaly suicidal on the roads so I dare not do it.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
You need to train a rock solid heel, stop, wait, drop etc on the ground before you even consider doing it from a horse, a lead wouldn't be the best idea, and even then, be very careful.

gunnergundog

Visit site
Far too risky in my view.

Have you thought how you would handle the situation if you were to have a dog aggressive dog run up to yours and attack it whilst you were in the saddle? Also, I assume you will be getting off every time the dog defecates to clear up after it.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I was about to respond 'never in a million years, terrible idea' but I very often ride and lead a 40" shetland off a 15hh cob which can't be much different. Wouldn't consider it with the dogs though - can't articulate the difference but there is, for me!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I think there are dogs who are happy to follow horses and I am sure there will be people on here who do it with no problem, having said that I think it is a bit optimistic to expect every dog to be able to adapt to it. I know with mine, it would not end well even though he runs alongside me on a bike.
He is also a GSD and very prey driven. Biking is a good control exercise but I would never have that control from the back of a horse.

What age is she....she should not be expected to do too much high-impact exercise (like prolonged trotting on a hard surface) until 12 months old to protect the joints. I didn't start doing any distance with mine until about 18 months.

MissTyc

Visit site
Many years ago I used to lead my dog on the roads to our bridleway - just used a long lead rope. My "horse" was only 14hh and the dog was quite big and they knew each other well. Neither were young. Onve we hit the bridleways, he was free to run. Many, many years ago ....

Molasses

Visit site
I hack out with my collieX
I taught her first from a bike and she has rock solid recall
I think being a collie brain helps a lot and I can see a lot of breeds not 'getting it' though, my old GSD was just too dumb to read horsey body language and would get dangerously underfoot. whereas collie girl is a good reader and likes to herd but respectful. she's also wary by nature so tucks in to the side and slightly behind and ignores anyone we meet. she loves it. nothing better than a canter and a dog galloping along beside you with a look of joy on their face!

and yes she wears high viz too!
attachment.php

countryfun

Visit site
Thanks for all your helpful advice but I do think I've been 'got at' a bit. It's not as if I've actually put my horse and dog in this situation yet, I was just asking about it! Its almost as if some of you haven't read my answer - for those that may have missed it I have copied it below.

That's a good tip thanks to start leading from a bike and it will be good exercise for me too! I can make sure my commands and reactions from my dog are all solid before transferring it to when I'm riding but without a lead.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Nobody's getting at you - you've just got to prepare yourself for a few 'brain farts' along the way - it's a lovely idea to ride out with your dog at your heels but it doesn't suit every dog in practice and people are just being realistic in case it doesn't pan out the way it does in your head.

Hope it all works out and let us know how you get on. I've been training my GSD long term for an endurance test (running 12.5 miles along the bike) which we hope to take in November so if you need any pointers let me know or send me a personal message.

countryfun

Visit site
gunnergundog, thanks for your comment but my dog has been trained to poo or defecate as you put it at home on command. She doesn't actually do it when we're out but if she were to it wouldn't be a problem because the forest I ride in has official signs asking owners to flick any poo on the path with a stick into the undergrowth so no picking up poo required!

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Ditto everyone on trying a lead being a bad idea. However if you can get your dog up to the stage of heeling to your horse it is a really nice way to go out. My old spaniel was really well trained by his previous owner and we used to hack out all the time together, he would even sit at road junctions and wait for me to ride across then call him when it was safe. When I had to move, he went to live with my mum in Yorkshire and she said that he would always look out for grey horses that were being ridden (my horse at that time was grey) and would go off with them if my mum didn't get him to come back to her. We used to enjoy cantering along the South Downs Way together, my horse had hunted so was not at all bothered by him. My poodle is nearly there with being able to come out with my horse, although we do far too much road work round here so he'd only be able to come with me on the rides round the farm.

Luci07

Visit site
Takes a lot of work but well worth it. I still rely heavily on bribes to keep mine focused on me. I did a lot with "leave" as well and am trying to teach her now to go to my left or right. I did it in stages so really ensured I had the commands down to a tee on foot, then I walked with a friend whom my dog knew. Friend was on horseback and I walked behind as a just in case. Once dog had the hang of that, we progressed to me riding my completely impervious old mare, then finally out with my youngster.

Bit of a fail yesterday with a number of DofE bods, all dressed up in waterproofs and rucksacks. Dog was terrified and wouldn't go past them...cue much hilarity but I ended up having to go on till my dog finally summoned up courage, stuck her tail between her legs and shot off after me as if the devil as was after her!

Btw high viz is a no no. I can get away with an orange fluorescent collar but small Stafford in a high viz jacket was just a step too far for my horse!

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I take my lovely lab Percy out with a lot. I always walk/lead both Percy and Shy to the bridlepath, let Perce off when we get there, and then mount Shyboy. I would never ever try to lead the dog from Shy, it's just not safe.

We have a very strict system that once a gate is opened, the dog goes thru first, and Shy second, stuff like that. I get off and lead if we encounter sheep - and we are lucky, we never have to go on the road on this ride.

I hope that helps - Shy and Percy are best mates, and Shy carries sticks if the dog has one, and gallops to keep up if he's left behind.

Nikki J

Visit site
Its dangerous, what happens if the lead gets caught round the horses legs? What if the horse spooks or steps on the dog? No way would I do it.

Absolutely! It is a very easy thing to do actually - I think because in the dog's mind your elevated physical status and the fact that you can now travel as fast or faster than the dog, makes you as God! My old wolf cross Hal who was not known for his obedience was exemplary out on a bike ride or horse ride. Never attempted to run off after a rabbit or whatever, but just cantered or lolloped along beside my horse.

Clodagh

Visit site
My dogs come out with me, loose, with the horse. I can really only do it on our farm though as my lurchers recall is a bit dodgy and she is stupid in traffic.
My cousin had a pointer who was a star, he heeled beautifully, wouldn't look at another animal while out and loved every minute, she used to go miles along roads and everything.

stargirl88

Visit site
Agree with thr no-lead thing. Not worth the risk.
I do eventually plan to hack.with the dog at some point - but another way I've done it is have someone on-foot every time we go out - I verbally control him but I have a safety net until Im btave enough. Also, do you have a menage you can maybe practise in? Sit on horse, tell dog to do x-y-z while you walk about. I called my dog off a cat-chase while I was trotting arouhlnd the school a few weeks back. Nearly fell off in shock :D