Learning to be alone in the field!

SpotsandBays

Visit site
So after a misunderstanding with one of my DIY ladies, my 2yo was left alone in the field for 5/10 minutes. He jumped out to go and find his friends!! So what’s the best way to teach a horse that it’s ok to be alone in the field? It would never be for more than 20 minutes at most if he ever was on his own which would be rare, but obviously I don’t want him jumping out every time he is! He will come out of the field with me on his own (away from other horses and where he cannot see them), and has been to a show alone and was fine, albeit abit clingy to me but that was his first time and he was so good. Any tips appreciated!

HashRouge

Visit site
So after a misunderstanding with one of my DIY ladies, my 2yo was left alone in the field for 5/10 minutes. He jumped out to go and find his friends!! So what’s the best way to teach a horse that it’s ok to be alone in the field? It would never be for more than 20 minutes at most if he ever was on his own which would be rare, but obviously I don’t want him jumping out every time he is! He will come out of the field with me on his own (away from other horses and where he cannot see them), and has been to a show alone and was fine, albeit abit clingy to me but that was his first time and he was so good. Any tips appreciated!
What is he like if he is left in the stable/ on the yard alone?
Tbh I would be quite wary about leaving him in the field on his own if he's liable to jump out. Many horses hate being on their own and it is quite a hard thing to teach them. Can you not have a rule that no horse is left alone, so that he gets brought in if he is going to be the last one out?

SpotsandBays

Visit site
What is he like if he is left in the stable/ on the yard alone?
Tbh I would be quite wary about leaving him in the field on his own if he's liable to jump out. Many horses hate being on their own and it is quite a hard thing to teach them. Can you not have a rule that no horse is left alone, so that he gets brought in if he is going to be the last one out?
I don’t usually leave any of them alone, but I’d like to attempt to help the problem rather than ignore it just in case! I also *plan* on moving him to a different yard for 8 weeks next year for light backing and am not sure what the turnout situation will be yet. ? he comes in with me and will stand to be groomed etc and he’s fine. I can leave him alone in the stable for a few minutes whilst I pop to the tack room etc but I’ve never tried for a considerable amount of time, maybe that’s the way forward? I don’t stable my horses unless it’s medical related, and I usually bring a companion in If that is the case so they’re not on their own (shetland).

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I have one that at 3 years old had never left his family herd let alone be on his own and I have to say his separation anxiety as a youngster was awful but now aged 10 he is fine.

I started by bringing him in for food, a groom, ground work etc for about 5 minutes at a time so he got used to being alone. Once he had cracked that I increased it slowly and would leave him in his stable while I hid so he couldn’t see me. If he created I left him to it, once he was quiet for a decent length of time I would go to him and reward him with a scratch and a good boy and immediately turn him out.

The other way round in the field was a bit more challenging and took longer and I started by putting him out alone and then putting my other one out with him. Again I increased the amount of time he was alone until now he will just hang around by the gate waiting for B to arrive. Leaving him alone and bringing him in last was achieved by taking my other one out first and hand grazing him until we got further and further out of sight until again he just hung around by the gate until I returned for him.

Now I can leave him in the stable or field and take B out and he doesn’t really bother unless somebody else starts calling and then he just has to join in ?

paddi22

Visit site
I always had this hassle with some tbs I had years ago , so my 2 year old tb now, I've trained him to be ok by himself. I started by taking the other horse out of the field and walking it further and further away, while letting the youngster have his dinner. he used to neigh and start to get worked up and id slowly walk horse back and then walk him away again. the process took a few weeks, but he's grand by himself now.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I have one that at 3 years old had never left his family herd let alone be on his own and I have to say his separation anxiety as a youngster was awful but now aged 10 he is fine.

I started by bringing him in for food, a groom, ground work etc for about 5 minutes at a time so he got used to being alone. Once he had cracked that I increased it slowly and would leave him in his stable while I hid so he couldn’t see me. If he created I left him to it, once he was quiet for a decent length of time I would go to him and reward him with a scratch and a good boy and immediately turn him out.

The other way round in the field was a bit more challenging and took longer and I started by putting him out alone and then putting my other one out with him. Again I increased the amount of time he was alone until now he will just hang around by the gate waiting for B to arrive. Leaving him alone and bringing him in last was achieved by taking my other one out first and hand grazing him until we got further and further out of sight until again he just hung around by the gate until I returned for him.

Now I can leave him in the stable or field and take B out and he doesn’t really bother unless somebody else starts calling and then he just has to join in ?
Ah that sounds like a good way to do it, thank you! Glad you got it sorted :)

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I always had this hassle with some tbs I had years ago , so my 2 year old tb now, I've trained him to be ok by himself. I started by taking the other horse out of the field and walking it further and further away, while letting the youngster have his dinner. he used to neigh and start to get worked up and id slowly walk horse back and then walk him away again. the process took a few weeks, but he's grand by himself now.
Good idea! I’ll definitely try this!!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Whenever I left a horse behind to go hacking (I currently have just the 2 horses) then I'd give the horse a big pile of hay - normally they'd pig out on that in the field and not really notice their friend had gone away. They do get used to it over time, one of mine was a real stresser but now he couldnt care less and I can take his girlfriend away to an event all day and he doesnt care. Early on when he was very stressy, I did put him in a stable with hay and a snack ball - just because I was worried he'd try to get over the fence.

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
I’ve worked hard on this and have done it slowly by taking the last horse away to the gate then returning it and making the gap longer each time. My youngster is now fine left alone. I normally open the fence for a bit more grass for him to keep him occupied