Leather Conditioner Recipe

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
I get asked on UK horse forums how to make and care for veg tanned saddlery leather and have been asked on here a few times recently so resurrecting this old post, hope it helps.

Firstly a bit about oiling and veg tanned leather.
NEATSFOOT OIL, is a popular choice to condition modern hides BUT although modern neatsfoot oil is still made from cattle-based products, it has a tendency to speed oxidation of the leather.
If mineral oil or other petroleum-based material is added, the product may be called "neatsfoot oil compound".
Some brands have also been shown to be adulterated with rapeseed oil, soya oil, and other oils.
The addition of mineral oils may lead to more rapid decay of non-synthetic stitching or speed breakdown of the leather itself
AVOID!
You won't always see the damage to the fibres of the hide with the naked eyes and think it's ok to use it but you get down to the cellular level and look at the fibres under a microscope of hide oiled with neatsfoot and you'll see what I mean.

LEATHER CONDITIONER:
All veg tanned leather will lose moisture everyday whether it's used or not, best thing to condition leather to make it last is any product without any silicone or preservatives (that some modern leather conditioners contain) includes, tallow, bees wax and lanolin or all 3 if possible.
I make my own leather conditioner simply because I use so much veg tan in my trade, I have hides that I have hand dressed that are at least 25 years old when I first trained and are as good as new.

Home made leather conditioner (traditional) recipe:
My own recipe is a secret one I have perfected over many years but what I will give you a basic one, get hold of any beef fat (I make my own tallow but you can use beef dripping), beeswax and some lard (pig fat, again I make my own), do roughly a 50% beef fat, 25 % beeswax and 25% lard,gently melt it down on a low heat and mix it thoroughly.
Let it set, when you use it if it has melted because the weather is warm, shove it in the fridge for 10-20 mins to get the right consistency.
This is real old fashioned English Saddler's grease

BEST WAY OF USING IT:
Remember any moisture you add to leather whether water or leather conditioner can darken leather down, so if in doubt try a test area first.
When conditioning the clean leather, wipe it with a warm wet cloth (just warm water) and whilst still wet/damp get some conditioner on your fingers, the heat from your hand and your fingers are by far the best way to apply any conditioner, it's a mucky job but forget sponges, cloths or brushes at this stage!
By putting the water on first it acts as a medium that aids the penetration of the fats right into the fibres of the hide.
The flesh side of the hide is far more porous than the grain side,try to imagine a funnel shape to the fibre with the wide open mouth end as the flesh side (flesh side is the underside where the flesh used to be) so allow a little more conditioner that side, you don't need alot anyway as it goes a long way.
Rub it all over and massage it into the hide, then leave it to dry naturally in a dry room and not in any sunlight or near artifcial heat,it can take 3 days or more to dry out and be asorbed into the hide, depends how much you use!
When it's dry, then get a lint free cloth, I use old bath towels cut up, the bobbly bits of the towelling act like a polishing stone and this is where it gets hard work, you need alot of elbow grease.
It's basically good old fashioned saddler's grease which most saddlers, leatherworkers and cobblers would have made years ago and none of the commercially made stuff you get today.
The idea is to rub the hide fast and fairly hard, not too hard to scratch it, the friction heats up any fats you have left on the hide (the white stuff) and gets it further into the fibres to add to the already absorbed conditioner that you put on it a few days before.
Lastly, this where it looks like I am contradicting myself about saying not to use oil on hides but I do, I use cod liver oil (NEVER neatsfoot as explained at the beginning)and wring a cotton cloth out in the cod liver oil so almost dry and put a very LIGHT film on both sides of the hide,wipe off any surplus and give it another gentle polish to buff it up with a bit of clean, dry bath towel, you are merely giving it a final dressing with the cod liver oil NOT conditioning or feeding it, it also gives the hide back it's leathery smell, a good trick of the trade to know if you sell second hand saddlery or leather, people love the smell of leather!
When completed you should have hide that is fairly stuffed full of fat and wax which is what it was designed for and it will have a nice bloom/shine to it, it should feel slightly moist/clammy but not sticky, if it is sticky you need to rub it more, it should feel heavier too.The conditioning will act as a rain barrier to keep the wet out.
Sorry for long post but I think it's worth mentioning all this.
Happy polishing!

Oz :)

Saddler in Surrey

Reacher

Visit site
I get asked on UK horse forums how to make and care for veg tanned saddlery leather and have been asked on here a few times recently so resurrecting this old post, hope it helps.

Firstly a bit about oiling and veg tanned leather.
NEATSFOOT OIL, is a popular choice to condition modern hides BUT although modern neatsfoot oil is still made from cattle-based products, it has a tendency to speed oxidation of the leather.
If mineral oil or other petroleum-based material is added, the product may be called "neatsfoot oil compound".
Some brands have also been shown to be adulterated with rapeseed oil, soya oil, and other oils.
The addition of mineral oils may lead to more rapid decay of non-synthetic stitching or speed breakdown of the leather itself
AVOID!
You won't always see the damage to the fibres of the hide with the naked eyes and think it's ok to use it but you get down to the cellular level and look at the fibres under a microscope of hide oiled with neatsfoot and you'll see what I mean.

LEATHER CONDITIONER:
All veg tanned leather will lose moisture everyday whether it's used or not, best thing to condition leather to make it last is any product without any silicone or preservatives (that some modern leather conditioners contain) includes, tallow, bees wax and lanolin or all 3 if possible.
I make my own leather conditioner simply because I use so much veg tan in my trade, I have hides that I have hand dressed that are at least 25 years old when I first trained and are as good as new.

Home made leather conditioner (traditional) recipe:
My own recipe is a secret one I have perfected over many years but what I will give you a basic one, get hold of any beef fat (I make my own tallow but you can use beef dripping), beeswax and some lard (pig fat, again I make my own), do roughly a 50% beef fat, 25 % beeswax and 25% lard,gently melt it down on a low heat and mix it thoroughly.
Let it set, when you use it if it has melted because the weather is warm, shove it in the fridge for 10-20 mins to get the right consistency.
This is real old fashioned English Saddler's grease

BEST WAY OF USING IT:
Remember any moisture you add to leather whether water or leather conditioner can darken leather down, so if in doubt try a test area first.
When conditioning the clean leather, wipe it with a warm wet cloth (just warm water) and whilst still wet/damp get some conditioner on your fingers, the heat from your hand and your fingers are by far the best way to apply any conditioner, it's a mucky job but forget sponges, cloths or brushes at this stage!
By putting the water on first it acts as a medium that aids the penetration of the fats right into the fibres of the hide.
The flesh side of the hide is far more porous than the grain side,try to imagine a funnel shape to the fibre with the wide open mouth end as the flesh side (flesh side is the underside where the flesh used to be) so allow a little more conditioner that side, you don't need alot anyway as it goes a long way.
Rub it all over and massage it into the hide, then leave it to dry naturally in a dry room and not in any sunlight or near artifcial heat,it can take 3 days or more to dry out and be asorbed into the hide, depends how much you use!
When it's dry, then get a lint free cloth, I use old bath towels cut up, the bobbly bits of the towelling act like a polishing stone and this is where it gets hard work, you need alot of elbow grease.
It's basically good old fashioned saddler's grease which most saddlers, leatherworkers and cobblers would have made years ago and none of the commercially made stuff you get today.
The idea is to rub the hide fast and fairly hard, not too hard to scratch it, the friction heats up any fats you have left on the hide (the white stuff) and gets it further into the fibres to add to the already absorbed conditioner that you put on it a few days before.
Lastly, this where it looks like I am contradicting myself about saying not to use oil on hides but I do, I use cod liver oil (NEVER neatsfoot as explained at the beginning)and wring a cotton cloth out in the cod liver oil so almost dry and put a very LIGHT film on both sides of the hide,wipe off any surplus and give it another gentle polish to buff it up with a bit of clean, dry bath towel, you are merely giving it a final dressing with the cod liver oil NOT conditioning or feeding it, it also gives the hide back it's leathery smell, a good trick of the trade to know if you sell second hand saddlery or leather, people love the smell of leather!
When completed you should have hide that is fairly stuffed full of fat and wax which is what it was designed for and it will have a nice bloom/shine to it, it should feel slightly moist/clammy but not sticky, if it is sticky you need to rub it more, it should feel heavier too.The conditioning will act as a rain barrier to keep the wet out.
Sorry for long post but I think it's worth mentioning all this.
Happy polishing!

Oz :)

Saddler in Surrey

Thanks very much Oz
Ps I have a brand new saddle and went out and bought a tin of effex leder balsam- yay or neigh ?

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Thanks Oz!
But what should I use on buffalo leather? I'm told it is too porous for anything too waxy or fatty - I've just been using saddle soap.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
Very interesting, thanks. I'm not sure what my wow saddle is made of but buffalo rings a bell. I currently use the effex, also, and would be interested in your opinion on this

cremedemonthe

Visit site
For the products you mention and any others on the market, the key is to find out what the ingredients are if possible, it's not always marked on the tins/tubs unfortunately though.
Any product with lots of silicones, preservatives, spirits or waxes (other than beeswax) is not the best to use on leather. Some of these ingredients seal the fibres too much which won't allow any more moisture in, prime example is putting boot polish on bridles, it seals the leather so no more moisture can be added the leather eventually breaks.
Buffalo is quite grainy and I have never added any conditioner to it as it stayed pretty supply without any.
It can stretch double it's length anyway without any conditioner!
It is often chrome tanned too which doesn't usually accept or need leather conditioner very well, clothes, sofas and car seats, leather straps on horse rugs (most are now nylon though) are usually made from chrome leather, it's grey in appearance if you cut through it and it's a harder wearing, low maintenance leather.

Last edited:

Reacher

Visit site
For the products you mention and any others on the market, the key is to find out what the ingredients are if possible, it's not always marked on the tins/tubs unfortunately though.
Any product with lots of silicones, preservatives, spirits or waxes (other than beeswax) is not the best to use on leather. Some of these ingredients seal the fibres too much which won't allow any more moisture in, prime example is putting boot polish on bridles, it seals the leather so no more moisture can be added the leather eventually breaks.
Buffalo is quite grainy and I have never added any conditioner to it as it stayed pretty supply without any.
It can stretch double it's length anyway without any conditioner!
It is often chrome tanned too which doesn't usually accept or need leather conditioner very well, clothes, sofas and car seats, leather straps on horse rugs (most are now nylon though) are usually made from chrome leather, it's grey in appearance if you cut through it and it's a harder wearing, low maintenance leather.

Thank for the reply, I have emailed effax for their ingredients and will post their response.

Reacher

Visit site
I completed the online form on the effax website, where it says they are happy to give you info about their ingredients if asked (so why aren't they listed on the website?!). But so far no reply!
Meanwhile I'm off to return the tin unopened and to buy lard, beeswax and beef fat!

cremedemonthe

Visit site
I completed the online form on the effax website, where it says they are happy to give you info about their ingredients if asked (so why aren't they listed on the website?!). But so far no reply!
Meanwhile I'm off to return the tin unopened and to buy lard, beeswax and beef fat!

lol, if you need any more help let me know,it's a lot cheaper to make your own!
Wonder if they will ever tell you what's in theirs, Oz

Reacher

Visit site
lol, if you need any more help let me know,it's a lot cheaper to make your own!
Wonder if they will ever tell you what's in theirs, Oz

Well, not wanting to let them off the hook too easily I have resubmitted the form...

Thanks very much. Its nice to think my new harry dabbs wont have any nasties applied to it, and I agree about the cost!

pennyturner

Visit site
We had an excess of home-made lard already (killed a very fat old pig earlier this year), and plenty of beeswax, so I sent hubby off to get dripping, and it's sat warming on the stove now.

Thanks Oz.

pennyturner

Visit site
I have indeed. It's pretty much solid at room temperature, so not as easy to apply as a proprietary conditioner - presumably that's why some folk add olive oil to the recipe. However, with a fair bit of elbow grease my hands warmed up, and it went on well, being particularly good for buckles, where you can really get it in around the tongue.

I used it on an older saddle, bridle in reasonable condition, but not new, and stirrup leathers which are new, but of the 'how do they make them for £5' variety. All came up lovely. The big surprise was the stirrup leathers, which weren't bad for the price, but now feel like enlgish leathers at four times the price!

Good exercise, (I wouldn't want to do more than one lot of tack), really does the job, and my saddle now smells faintly of beeswax.

cremedemonthe

Visit site
I have indeed. It's pretty much solid at room temperature, so not as easy to apply as a proprietary conditioner - presumably that's why some folk add olive oil to the recipe. However, with a fair bit of elbow grease my hands warmed up, and it went on well, being particularly good for buckles, where you can really get it in around the tongue.

I used it on an older saddle, bridle in reasonable condition, but not new, and stirrup leathers which are new, but of the 'how do they make them for £5' variety. All came up lovely. The big surprise was the stirrup leathers, which weren't bad for the price, but now feel like enlgish leathers at four times the price!

Good exercise, (I wouldn't want to do more than one lot of tack), really does the job, and my saddle now smells faintly of beeswax.

Good glad you got on ok with it, secret is dig it out of the tub with your fingers and manipulate in your hands to warm it up and it melts enough to apply, it's a real hands on product but completely natural and how the country folk of yesteryear would have softened and fed their leather. Your hands will be soft too!
Oz

PS you said you wouldn't want to do more than one lot of tack, a "friend" of mine was visiting and brought her English singles harness and 2 extra bridles, I had to clean and treat them all!
THEN I went through my workshop hides, all 25 of them, was absolutely knackered at the end but worth it!

PolarSkye

Visit site
Oz - thank you very much for posting this . . . after Christmas will try and make up a batch of your homemade "secret sauce" . . . I'll let you know how I get on.

P

cremedemonthe

Visit site
Oz - thank you very much for posting this . . . after Christmas will try and make up a batch of your homemade "secret sauce" . . . I'll let you know how I get on.

P

Welcome and do let me know how it goes, save an old toothbrush, it helps get in the stitching and around the buckles.As Pennturner said, it IS hard work and good exercise but you have the feel good factor when you see the end result and soft hands!

quizzie

Visit site
Thank for the reply, I have emailed effax for their ingredients and will post their response.

I asked the same question a while ago, after a horse had a reaction to a different saddle cleaner/soap, & they sent me this:

Ingredients of Effax Lederbalsam:

DESTILLATES (PETROLEUM) HYDROTREATED LIGHT PARAFFINIC
PETROLATUM
SOLVENT-REFINED LIGHT AND HEAVY PARAFFINICS
PARAFFIN
HYDROGENATED MICROCRYSTALLINE WAX
CERA MICROCRISTALLINA
LANOLIN
PERSEA GRATISSIMA (AVOCADO) OIL
CERA ALBA
PARFUM
CI 12700

cremedemonthe

Visit site
I asked the same question a while ago, after a horse had a reaction to a different saddle cleaner/soap, & they sent me this:

PETROLATUM
PARAFFIN
CERA MICROCRISTALLINA
LANOLIN
CERA ALBA
PARFUM
CI 12700

ARGH!!!!!!
I rest my case about commercially made products, thanks for posting this Quizzie, think what some but not all of ingredients can do to your leather, your hands and your horse.
Oz

pennyturner

Visit site

PETROLATUM
PARAFFIN
CERA MICROCRISTALLINA
LANOLIN
CERA ALBA
PARFUM
CI 12700

EEK! And I thought that was one of the good ones!
Sticking with Oz's patented piggy/beefy/bee grease from now on :)

cremedemonthe

Visit site
EEK! And I thought that was one of the good ones!
Sticking with Oz's patented piggy/beefy/bee grease from now on :)

lol, never heard it called that before.
You know what,there's really no need to have so many chemicals and spirits in these sort of commercially made products, they use them I believe to preserve and perfume the leather conditioner as well as to make it easier to apply but with a little patience and warm hands it's easy to apply mine, mine doesn't need perfume, the smell of the beeswax usually comes through and if you dress the leather afterwards with a tiny but of cod liver oil you'll get a nice smell of English leather back again.The worst it can smell if all else fails is like a chippy!
Mine doesn't go rancid or bad, I have a large tub in my workshop that's probably a couple of years old and sits in there in the Summer heat and it's still fine to use.
Happy Christmas all, Oz :)

Reacher

Visit site
Thanks very much for posting _ I emailed effax twice and got no reply.

Ps have made and applied Oz's recipe - just waiting for it to dry!

I asked the same question a while ago, after a horse had a reaction to a different saddile cleaner/soap, & they sent me this:

PETROLATUM
PARAFFIN
CERA MICROCRISTALLINA
LANOLIN
CERA ALBA
PARFUM
CI 12700