Leather Conditioner Recipe

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Anyone struggling to find Beef Fat/Tallow - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tallow-BE..._Metalworking_Supplies_ET&hash=item2c93a43c6c

Oz, silly question but where can I get lard from? (Vegetarian so don't really fancy touching this stuff in first place but if it is as good as you say then.. :D)

I am veggie too, have been since 1983 it won't bite you!
Tescos sell lard, where the butter is.
Waitrose sell Britannia beef fat (dripping) lot cheaper than ebay beef fat/tallow, you can use that for the beef fat, let me know how you get on or if you have any problems, Oz

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Hm, not sure if I went wrong somewhere but I used a combo of beeswax, lard and beef dripping and it is now all collecting in my stitching on the tack D:

I put minimal amounts on twice, so it had two layers of the stuff but I adopted the "little bit goes a long way" stance and yet still seem to have a lot of build up in the stitching, which I don't usually get with my other conditioner.

Again, not sure if I'm doing it massively wrong or something :')

cremedemonthe

Visit site
No it does go in the stitching which is to your advantage as it will help waterproof it, you need to use an old toothbrush to work it into the leather and stitches. As you brush it the motion melts the fats and the white gloop you can see eventually disappears, it is hard work I did warn you but it really gets the fats in to the fibres of the hide.
Someone has just bought some of mine and I haven't any made up so I know what I will be doing tomorrow!
Oz

Tern

Visit site
I am veggie too, have been since 1983 it won't bite you!
Tescos sell lard, where the butter is.
Waitrose sell Britannia beef fat (dripping) lot cheaper than ebay beef fat/tallow, you can use that for the beef fat, let me know how you get on or if you have any problems, Oz

I know it won't bite but I don't like the thought. :eek:

Thank you, was very silly questions!

fawaz

Visit site
I use Renapur which is all natural and contains no preservatives. It does a wonderful job and my gear all looks like New even though it's all 10+ years old. It contains Beeswax, Carnauba wax, Jojoba oil and Avocado oil.... Could this bee a good vegetarian alternative to your recipe Oz?

Greylegs

Visit site
Just picked up this thread because my tack is in a woeful state after the Christmas break and needs a really good going over!! Might make some up as Oz suggested.

Got to go shopping in a minute ... will have to see if Morrisons sell beef dripping ....!! Oz ... if you ever get fed up with saddlery, you could go into business selling this instead .... :)

Greylegs

Visit site
Sorry - Numpty question ... just going out to buy ingredients ...

I presume the quantities are by weight? Thanks for posting ...

cremedemonthe

Visit site
Thank you Pansymouse for explaining that .

fawaz-it might be a good alternative by the sounds of it!

cornbrodolly-when I have cleaned others dirty tack and treated it with my conditioner, they have taken it home and kept it in an unheated tack room, it did not develop any mould but I would be daft to claim that would happen with all tack.If the spores are there they may grow, white vinegar will kill the spores.

Mrs Santa- I already do sell this stuff, but a variation of it, on my website, I have run out and have to make some more up today.
Quantities are in percentage it's up to you what weights /amounts you use and work it out.

Oz :)

Greylegs

Visit site
Right ... so lard and beef fat in fridge awaiting arrival of some beeswax, ordered from Amazon (where else!!). Looking forward to trying it out.

Lyle

Visit site
Wow! Thank you Oz, I made a batch of this up today. I was so pleased with how cheaply I could get the ingredients and with how much it produced. I've done my saddle, 2 bridles and a few other sundries. All the bridle work has come up superb, even the cheap noseband! My saddle was a little trickier, being double grain leather, there's a bit of white in the grain. I'll have a go with a tooth brush tomorrow.

Quick question, what do you recommend using as a quick wipe over to remove dust/mud to make tack presentable, without having to do a proper condition?