Leather headcollars

11bluewolf

Visit site
I have recently bought a leather headcollar from PE but its so new and clean i'm now a bit worried to use it!! Does anyone have any advice on keeping them in good condition or do people recommend just keeping them for travelling and shows instead of everyday use?

alainax

Visit site
I only use leather head collars for safety reasons, nylon ones freak me out!

Just give them a wipe down every so often and they are fine!

Shooting Star

Visit site
Just crack on and use it I say! As long as it’s good quality leather and you clean and condition it occasionally it will be just fine, these days I use a leather one as my day to day headcollar, much easier to deal with when they get wet or muddy.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I did use one daily, it was fine and cleaned up really well.

Sadly my new mare lies her face in the poo every day so her face needs a proper wash every day with shampoo. I guess even the most durable headcollar would struggle with that, so I have swapped it out for a nylon one. The nylon one is not half as nice though!

Alibear

Visit site
Another here who uses them as everyday headcollars for safety reasons and mine is left hung on the fence post in the rain all day and it still fine. I do only buy cheap ones though.

catkin

Visit site
Use everyday.
though I do only use headcollars when leading or tying up, they don't get left on the horse.
Cleaned and conditioned occasionally

The Trooper

Visit site
I have both, far prefer the leather ones particularly on a heavy draught type horse such as Bonnie and Belle. They are not turned out in their headcollars though and are very seldom left with them on in the stable.

With regards to cleaning, barely ever.

huskydamage

Visit site
I'm another who only uses leather ones. I oil them when I first get them but tbh after that they spend most of their life encrusted with mud. I periodically give them a full clean/condition every now and then. They last quite well but obv break easily but then for me that's the whole point really.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I used to keep a leather headcollar 'for best' when on livery but that was mostly because it would have disappeared if I'd left it out for daily use! When I moved the horse to home I vowed to only every use my nice leather headcollar and do so daily for both horses. They always clean up well with a wipe over every couple of weeks if im passing with a sponge but i dont leave them on so they dont get that dirty! My friend calls me a snob for using leather for everyday use ... I call her common for having a nylon one, lol ;)

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I only use leather head collars for safety reasons, nylon ones freak me out!

Just give them a wipe down every so often and they are fine!
Me too! I hate Nylon, apparently I've read that such is the strength of a nylon headcollar you can actually tow a car with one without it breaking! Handy if you don't have a tow rope to hand...... lol :)