Leather or Synthetic saddle - pros and cons please?

CARRIECOLEMAN

Visit site
i have a lovely leather GP saddle but i would like a new one and am wondering whether to go for a good synthetic one. i had one years ago for another horse but it never really fitted properly. i think they may have come on in that time?
What is the general consensus?
Thanks

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Whatever fits your horse. Personally I'm all for a used leather wooden treed saddle if your budget is smaller, the gain in weight for this sort of saddle, over a synthetic one, is usually less than our weight as a rider, with clothes, fluctuates through the year. Much more choice of tree shape with wooden trees (always leather), will last longer for sure.

Wipe down as often as possible, and condition with a really good (usually solid at room temp) conditioner as needed. Care is not that hard, but sure, not as easy as a hose, and of course not vegan. But I have plenty of otherwise vegan customers who can't get a good fit for their horse AND them (the rider is crucial and synthetic saddles definitely fall short here) who suck it up and go for leather.

Last edited:

Widgeon

Visit site
If any particular synthetic fits both your horse AND you then they are generally cheaper than leather saddles, and they're easier to clean. However I am fairly well convinced that on the whole a decent leather saddle is more comfortable for the rider. I ride in a Wintec dressage - it fits the horse well, it's lightweight, and doesn't need much cleaning (I do a lot of hacking in all weather) but it's not the comfiest thing to ride on for me. I mean, it's ok, or I'd have carried on looking....but it's not optimal. FWIW I wasn't terribly impressed with Thorowgoods either. If an anonymous benefactor left me a grand I'd be back in a leather saddle ASAP.

eahotson

Visit site
I am interested in this post as the Newbie will need a new saddle in the next 6 to 12 months.I have a good leather one at the moment which I love.I have had synthetics in the past and this is more comfortable.However the years are catching up and a synthetic is lighter to lift and carry about.Obviously fit will be the first consideration.There is a new wintec that I want to look at.

Kaylum

Visit site
Synthetics have less of a life span. Watch out when buying second hand ones as they disintegrate we have had a few in that have done that.

rextherobber

Visit site
Synthetic are great, as are so light, you needn't worry about them on a beach ride or if the heavens open, easy to clean/don't deteriorate if you don't clean them....but, as previously mentioned, I don't think they are as nice to ride in. But for convenience, you can't beat them.

Baywonder

Visit site
Synthetic saddles are quicker to clean and light, and they suit a lot of riders and their equines.

IMHO you cannot beat a well made leather saddle. Looked after properly, it will last many, many years.

I would suggest you try both synthetic and leather options, see what suits you and your horse best, and take it from there. :)

oldie48

Visit site
On a budget I would go for a second hand leather that fitted me and horse well. They keep their value so if you need to sell and get another, you really don't lose much money. I've got a Fieldhouse saddle that came with a horse 15 years ago and it's still going strong although i'm not currently using it. I do agree about weight though and I bought a lighter weight saddle that was adjustable last time I bought new. TBH I've never got on with synthetic saddles, they never seem to mold round the horse but it is a long time since I used one.

catembi

Visit site
I have recently bought a premier equine dressage saddle and a cc jumping saddle. I love both. I previously had Thorowgoods and before that, wintecs and they are sooooo much better than either!

Backtoblack

Visit site
I bought a synthetic as a stop gap 10 years ago and am still using it. Fits the horse and me so haven't seen a reason to change.

Maryann

Visit site
I love my Thorowgood T8. It is checked and adjusted if necessary by the person I bought it from annually and I do everything in it. Pony and I are both quite small. I went for the Thorowgood as it was the most comfortable of the ones I tried that fitted.

Nudibranch

Visit site
I've been using synthetic for the last 10 years or so (mostly Flexees) and I wouldn't go back unless there was a fit issue. A lot lighter for sore wrists to carry, and I ride in the rain or on the beach a bit so they cope better. I've never had to do anything other than give them a quick wipe with a damp cloth at most.

PoniesRock

Visit site
I’ve got two horses, one in a synthetic and one in a leather saddle. I prefer riding in the leather Bates saddle. But The synthetic fits absolutely fine, so no need to change it, and it’s comfortable enough for fun rides/popping the odd fence etc.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I have a leather event saddle and throughgood dressage saddle. Both fit me and my horse well. There is a big difference in weight.

ponynutz

Visit site
Synthetics are much easier in clean and lighter. They can be brushed or got wet whereas leather can't really.

Cons are they need cleaning more often and get quite sweaty from you and horse.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I have recently bought a premier equine dressage saddle and a cc jumping saddle. I love both. I previously had Thorowgoods and before that, wintecs and they are sooooo much better than either!
Hijacking the thread to ask about the premier Eq saddles! Which ones did you get? I think they look really smart but haven’t seen many reviews on them