Leather Therapy?

diamonddogs

Visit site
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum - I know we used to have a tack section but I can't find it.

My saddle got damp from being stored in the tack shed at the yard, and although it dried out OK it still has a musty smell about it.

On a few recommendations I got hold of some Leather Therapy restorer, and the saddle looks beautiful now (as does a mouldy old bridle I used it on :D), but the smell's still there. Any idea how many applications it will need to banish the honk altogether?

Ladyinred

Visit site
Never used Leather Therapy but imagine only fresh air will get rid of the smell.

I swear by Ko-Cho-Line, but even that wouldn't get rid of a musty smell. Try asking Creme de Monthe.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
There's never been a tack section since I've been on here nor a "Fetishes" section which was what I thought you were asking about to start with!

As for the musty smell - fresh air, use and optimism I suspect is what is needed.

AnnaCarner

Visit site
Hi, Just joined H&H, so this is my first post. Because mold spores are ambient, (and alive), once they find a nice, damp breading ground. Depending on the severity of the mold problem, it may take periodic applications of Leather Therapy Restorer - the only leather conditioner containing a mold inhibiting formula - to rid mold spores from your leather. Keep in mind that you should clean off the visible mold spores with a residue-free cleaning agent first.

That musky smell is caused by the remainder of the spores probably still involved in the flocking of your saddle. This will start to dissipate if you keep your saddle in a dry atmosphere -- possibly with a light on or small fan going. Keep the saddle clean with a pH balanced product that does not contain glycerine, saddle soaps,etc. -- good nourishment for mold -- and acts as a humectant (draws water onto the leather). That's why we invented Leather Therapy Wash in the first place (am I allowed to say that here?).

Your bridle should have lost the mold smell by now -- but I urge you to take a look at your storage area -- Hope this helps out. Anna

Last edited:

pansymouse

Visit site
Hi, Just joined H&H, so this is my first post. Because mold spores are ambient, (and alive), once they find a nice, damp breading ground, it can take a few applications of Leather Therapy Restorer - the only leather conditioner containing a mold inhibiting formula - to rid mold spores from your leather. Keep in mind that you should clean off the visible mold spores with a residue- free cleaning agent first.

That musky smell is caused by the remainder of the spores probably still involved in the stuffing of your saddle. This will start to dissipate if you keep your saddle in a dry atmosphere -- possibly with a light on or small fan going. Keep the saddle clean with a pH balanced product that does not contain glycerine, saddle soaps,etc. -- good nourishment for mold -- and acts as a humectant (draws water onto the leather). That's why we invented Leather Therapy Wash in the first place (am I allowed to say that here?).

Your bridle should have lost the mold smell by now -- but I urge you to take a look at your storage area -- Hope this helps out.

Absolutely agree - I use Leather Therapy to restore tack that I get in for repair/restoration or I buy to sell on. There's no product to touch it imo.

AnnaCarner

Visit site
It's been twenty years since I invented that product "pansy mouse" and it's been product of the year in the USA in 1997 and 2003. It's held its own. Glad you like it.

Lots of people buy old leather items from e-bay (cheap) and simply restore the look and feel of the leather -- then re-sell for a good profit. Everyone's an entrepreneur! Yeah. Hopefully soon the product range will be in a large tack shop in the UK.

I see that you're also a knitter?

Anna

diamonddogs

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies - specially Anna!

So I just need to keep reapplying it periodically then? My bridles are soft and smell free now. I'm going to put it through its paces next with my cheap leather turnout headcollar.

I'm really impressed with the range - I bought the Equestrian Sampler, but will definitely be getting bigger sizes in future.

AnnaCarner

Visit site
Hi diamonddogs:) Because Leather Therapy Restorer has the ability to go deep into the corium, the heart of leather - where leather gets its strength, you don't have to condition often. If I'm caught out in the weather and my saddle/bridle takes a beating, then I'll be sure to condition back at the barn. Otherwise, I only use LT Wash to clean.

If you have some really dry and dull looking leather (not all leather is created equal) you'll find the Restorer invaluable for keeping it looking better -- and much more flexible.

I remember one time, years ago at the US Equestrian Team event in New Jersey, when one of the Dressage riders carried around her childhood bridle (for good luck) in her tack trunk. The buckles wouldn't budge and the leather was stiff as board. p.s. She soaked it in a bit of LT and, within only about an hour, the bridle was able to be unbuckled! Yeah -- sure felt good to see that.

AnnaCarner

Visit site
Hello Morag! Nice to hear from you.

News flash! We just sold the Leather Therapy product lines to WF Young, creators of Absorbine. LT should It's time to start the next chapter in my life. I've started a book about Blossom, the pet deer I raised (for 10 years). Wish you could have known her.

Anyway, Leather Therapy should be widely available soon in the UK, so that's good;)
Take care, Anna

diamonddogs

Visit site
That's great news!

I got the sample pack from Amazon around the time I made this post, and I still have quite a bit left - just as well as they don't do it any more!

Anna, could you update us if you know the name of the UK supplier/s? Thanks :)

Emms321

Visit site
Thank you Flying Change :)
I had forgotten about this thread. I saw it on this website and ordered the Leather Therapy Wash. Smooth transaction and delivered promptly.