Leather to synthetic saddles.Anyone done it?

eahotson

Visit site
I have a lovely leather saddle, very comfortable for me and horse BUT it is quite heavy.I am aged! I find it heavy to carry and heavy to lift onto my cob.Was thinking of going back to a synthetic saddle,possibly wintec or thorowgood just because they are lighter.I used to have a thorowgood which I found very good.Anyone else done this?

alexomahony

Visit site
Hi, I did this and really do love my wintecs. I have a wide one with like suade-y type knee rolls and a jumping saddle. They're both brown and from a distance, you couldn't tell that they're not leather - they're very smart/. I also find them really comfortable and it's handy the the size is adjustable! I've sat on a few of the more modern thoroughgood's and i'm not a massive fan of those, but the more modern wintecs are very good :)

fusspot

Visit site
I have-always rode in Leather Dressage,Showing and GP.My boy that I lost 3 weeks ago didn’t like any saddle apart from his Wintec 500 VSD.My Poor very experienced saddler changed about 5 Leather saddles-Dressage-long Girth straps,short Girth straps,GP’s,VSD’s but no only happy in the Wintec.I was fine as long as he was happy.Competed up to Affiliated Elementary and worked to Medium at home and tbh didn’t stress that saddle would be ruined if rode in the bad weather.

eahotson

Visit site
Hi, I did this and really do love my wintecs. I have a wide one with like suade-y type knee rolls and a jumping saddle. They're both brown and from a distance, you couldn't tell that they're not leather - they're very smart/. I also find them really comfortable and it's handy the the size is adjustable! I've sat on a few of the more modern thoroughgood's and i'm not a massive fan of those, but the more modern wintecs are very good :)
Thanks.

3OldPonies

Visit site
I have both, and I love both. The synthetic is an adjustable thorowgood, and the leather a gfs. The synthetic is lovely and light, easy to clean and dries pretty quickly if it does get wet.

Floxie

Visit site
Yep - not intentionally, they're just what happened to fit when I needed a change. I have both dressage and GP in Wintec, though I'm looking for a Thorogood GP because I find they fit me better, and the high wither one fits the horse better. I love that I can give them a good scrub with water and a nail brush and they come up like new! The suede (effect) dressage saddle is notably warm to ride in, which is nice in the winter :) I hadn't realised how light they were until I went to move a friend's leather saddle and it seemed monumentally heavy!

I love a leather saddle but I don't really see any reason to go back.

Pippity

Visit site
Yep, went from an Albion Kontrol GP* for my share horse to a Wintec Wide for my cob. I want to get her out showing so will have to invest in a leather saddle at some point, but would prefer to stick with a synthetic for everyday. Apart from it being easier for me to care for and carry around, it's less for her to carry. (I did go for the leather girth straps, rather than the synthetic, though. In my experience, the leather is much easier to fasten and the synthetic has a tendency to crack on the surface, even if the core of the strap is solid.)

* Currently for sale if anyone wants a GP saddle built on an SLK tree

Carrottom

Visit site
I like my Thorowgood gp for everyday but I do like my leather dressage saddle for flat work and competitions. Lightweight irons also help to reduce the saddle weight.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Yes - I have ponies now so try to minimise weight. Composite irons save a fair bit of weight compared to metal as well. Personally I would not use Wintec due to the shape of the gullet profile but I have used Thorowgoods and currently have 2 HM Flexees.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I can't ride in a wintec, they all seem to put pressure in all the wrong places :eek: so would ensure a decent length of trial ;).

Antw23uk

Visit site
I have swapped leather saddles for Wintecs. I love the adjust-ability of them and how light they are. I do swap the stirrup and girth straps out for nice leather ones though.

Palindrome

Visit site
I also ride in a Tekna as it is the one that fits my horse (flat backed medium width) but previously rode in a Thorowgood. I had the Wintec pro dressage and liked that as well but sold it to cover a new purchase, I am coveting getting an Isabel to add to my collection. I used to ride in very old flat and hard leather saddles at the riding school, I don't regret switching to synthetic (although I have a leather saddle as well but the fit isn't as versatile as my 2 synthetics with adjustable gullet).

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I've previously had TGs, have never got on with Wintecs but liked my TG endurance saddles-they just don't suit this pony. The Tekna was a good punt, very hard to tell its synthetic when not touching it. I had a Wow before and I did love it but it was very heavy.

eahotson

Visit site
I've previously had TGs, have never got on with Wintecs but liked my TG endurance saddles-they just don't suit this pony. The Tekna was a good punt, very hard to tell its synthetic when not touching it. I had a Wow before and I did love it but it was very heavy.
I see that Tekna do a leather saddle on a lightweight tree.That might be a good compromise as well.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I see that Tekna do a leather saddle on a lightweight tree.That might be a good compromise as well.

I really like their saddles, I have two but am currently selling the Maximus. If you want one, order before Brexit as currently Tekna UK buy direct from USG in Germany so there will likely be import tax due afterwards.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Im quite keen on Wintec 2000's. Current horses have an Ideal and Albion Kontrol but I've just bought my new boy a 2000 with the thought of replacing it when I can but tbh its turned up and is absolutely mint and I'm certainly not going to be in any rush to spend £0000 for the hell of it.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
I went from leather to Wintec & back to leather again - the Wintec I tried moved around way too much on my ISH despite changing gullet sizes & lots of different saddle pad arrangements 🙄

lottiepony

Visit site
LOL I'm the other way! Project cob has a thorowgood which fits and suits well but I'm really not a fan, much prefer a leather saddle! Can't fault on the lightness and adjustability but don't think it's the comfiest thing I've ridden in.
This may sound dumb but I actually find the saddle flaps a real pain due to my length of leg as in certain situations they almost feel like they pinch in the space between the end of my half chaps and knee - but then it could also be down to shoddy riding lol

oldie48

Visit site
If you haven't bought a leather saddle recently there are lighter ones out there. i've just changed from an Ideal to an Albion K2 dressage, which is much lighter. If you are happy to go to a different type of tree and a monoflap you can get them very light. We've had synthetic saddles in the past but tbh I still love a good leather saddle.