Leather treatment

Visit site
Hi there
I just wondered what everyone uses to give a good conditioning treatment to their tack. I have a few bits of bridles etc that are very dry and I have always used neatsfoot compound but heard recently it’s not the best to use and a substance called dubbin is better? Just interested in everyone’s thoughts

neddy man

Visit site
"Cremedemonthe" is a saddler, who is a member on here, he will give you a recipe to make your own leather conditioner that is an excellent product, or he can supply you with one he makes that is even better! In the search box top right hand corner put in "what's your favourite tack cleaner?" As title and click the search titles only box and it will show details, it really is way better than shop bought saddle soap.

Last edited:

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
"Cremedemonthe" is a saddler, who is a member on here, he will give you a recipe to make your own leather conditioner that is an excellent product, or he can supply you with one he makes that is even better! In the search box top right hand corner put in "what's your favourite tack cleaner?" As title and click the search titles only box and it will show details, it really is way better than shop bought saddle soap.

Oz (Cremedemonthe) set me right about neatsfoot oil; in fact his posts about that and about leather dressings was what brought me to this forum.

pansymouse

Visit site
I use Neatsfoot, let it soak in well then glycerine saddle soap to add shine.

As a bridle marker, repair and restorer I know that those the two products cause the most unseen damage to leather work. Oil expands and weakens the fibres within the leather and glycerine (a sugar product) makes the surface sticky trapping dirt and providing a mould food source. The products I always use in routine cleaning as well as restoration are Wilf Whites Saddle Soap and a version of Oz's leather conditioner I make myself.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I use either ko-cho-line (I think it’s spelt) on old leather, or Lincoln’s Superior leather balsam on new leather.

scruffyponies

Visit site
Ko Cho Line is supposed to be used for storage, but there's nothing finer on truly ancient or neglected leather. If really dry, do make sure the leather is slightly dampened before anything is flexed to avoid breaking fibres.

Visit site
As a bridle marker, repair and restorer I know that those the two products cause the most unseen damage to leather work. Oil expands and weakens the fibres within the leather and glycerine (a sugar product) makes the surface sticky trapping dirt and providing a mould food source. The products I always use in routine cleaning as well as restoration are Wilf Whites Saddle Soap and a version of Oz's leather conditioner I make myself.
Very interesting. I have heard about the oil weakening it but I thought neatsfoot compound was ok! I would really appreciate it if someone could share the recipe with me please? Thank you

Wheels

Visit site

Cremedemonthe's stuff is amazing! Highly recommended

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Very interesting. I have heard about the oil weakening it but I thought neatsfoot compound was ok! I would really appreciate it if someone could share the recipe with me please? Thank you

Oz will send it to you if he sees this @cremedemonthe

No oil (unless very old and stiff), no saddle soap as glycerine doesn't fully mitigate the damage done by the wrong pH of soap, and is a humectant, making tack sticky and more likely to pick up dust and grease.

Hand hot water, cotton dishcloth for a great texture, wrung out. Drop of fairy in the bucket for greasy strapwork. Before fully dry apply a good conditioner (I recommend Oz's first and foremost but Sedgwick is pretty good) when needed, if you clean often then you won't need conditioner every time.

Annagain

Visit site
My saddler complimented me on my care of my saddle the other day. All I do it use Oz's magic potion far less frequently than I should! I'd just buy his ready made stuff, by the time you've bought all the ingredients and made it, it's not much more expensive, and much less hassle!