Leaving a yard

m1stify

Visit site
Just wondering have you ever had to leave a yard that you have loved and have made great friends in? I find myself in that situation due to lack of turnout in my current yard (and a few other things that are swinging my decision to leave and not wait and see if things improve). Unfortunately I cannot get any answers from YO as to when turnout will resume and they are being very unapproachable on the subject. I seem to have found the perfect yard for my horse on paper, plenty of turnout, nicer stables, better facilities all round (only catch is distance from home increased by about 15 mins drive or so). I feel guilty moving my horse as she always seems delighted to be home when we get home from shows etc. but I don’t know how long she can continue getting no turnout (been over 6 weeks now). In fairness she does seem to be ok in herself and is not barging me out of the way to escape the stable or anything. I know a lot of people have to keep their horse this way over the winter and the horse manages fine, but I feel so bad when I think she is cooped up in her stable all day – although she does get on the walker daily. I don’t know anyone on the new yard and I’m afraid I won’t fit in, and I will lose touch with the girls on my current yard. I know I shouldn’t be putting myself first over my horses welfare. Just don’t know what to do! I’m thinking even if turnout resumes soon it will be the same story next year as there are no winter/summer paddocks just the same used year round and YO seems to take on new liveries regardless. Sad thing is there is a lot of extra land not in paddocks which could be used but are kept for other use.

putasocinit

Visit site
From all that you have said i would leave, i could never be happy with a YO who was quiet about things e.g. Turnout, friends you will make new ones. Your horses welfare comes first. 15mins is doable.

BethanT

Visit site
From all that you have said i would leave, i could never be happy with a YO who was quiet about things e.g. Turnout, friends you will make new ones. Your horses welfare comes first. 15mins is doable.

^^^ This. By the sounds of it the land is overgrazed. If it never gets a rest, it will loose all nutritional value anyway. I don't think its fair to leave horses cooped up all day every day - though I understand that in some cases this is unavoidable. This other yard sounds much more suitable and 15 mins really isnt that bad.

With regards to friends and not fitting in, I am sure you will I presume you have been to visit the new yard and I am guessing you will have got a feel for the place then either by general vibe or by chatting to existing liveries. There is a chance that you will loose contact with girls from your current yard but if you are good enought friends it wont make a difference.

Good luck if you decide to move :)

LynH

Visit site
I've remained good friends with people from different yards over the years after either one of us has left the yard. Will you be near enough to meet up for hacks etc? I keep my horses at home now so no company at all but I still meet up with my old livery friends and some box to my place to hack or use my school.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I completely agree with putasocinit.

I had to leave my first ever yard, I thought I'd been so happy there but once I'd gone I saw all it's faults. It was the best thing I did for me, although it turned out the yard I moved to didn't suit my horse - we moved again after just over a year and I've been in my current yard now for 9 years (or I should say with current YO as she had 2 yards and the lease ended on one, so I moved to the other one). I would only move again if I got my own place.

Spencer93

Visit site
I left for a uni 250 miles away nearly 3 years ago. My best friend I just started to get to know each other at my last yard when I left, we now chat constantly and she virtually lives with me whenever I get home. Many of my other friends were those I met at various yards over the years. Theres no reason to loose touch with people you get on with. Your horse comes first and as long as you part on friendly terms theres no reason why you can't go back if you hate the new place

Spit That Out

Visit site
I left my yard as I travelled in a different direction for a new job and although I loved the yard it was no longer convenient. I gave the YO a bottle of wine and a box of chocs before I left. It was sad as like you I had many friends and my horse was happy but I needed to leave.
If the YO is professional then they understand that it's a business and it's not personal. As much as they like you remember that your a paying client and although you maybe friends and you will keep in touch they will fill your stable with another horse once your gone!
Don't burn your bridges, leave on good terms as you never know, you may go back even if it's just to visit your friends.

springtime1331

Visit site
I moved from the yard I've been at for 11 years last weekend. I was gutted because there was so many people I get on with so much, horse was settled and the yard was only 5 mins away. I've moved to somewhere 25 mins away, but with amazing hacking, facilities and my mare gets to be turned out in a much bigger paddock and isn't on her own anymore. No regrets :)

Mithras

Visit site
YO seems to take on new liveries regardless. Sad thing is there is a lot of extra land not in paddocks which could be used but are kept for other use.

Until this bit, I would have said maybe just put up with it until the better weather as a couple of months is not too bad. But I've been at a yard where I've lost grazing because of the YO taking on extra liveries over winter temporarily and then having to use rubbish grazing in summer because those fields then had to be rested. If the YO can't prioritise the liveries they have to the extent of the grazing, then I couldn't cope with that sort of yard management. I'd move.