Leaving horses on horseboxes in this heat

stimpy

Visit site
I was at Hartpury yesterday and was horrified to see how many horses were being left on horseboxes in the lorry park (often totally unattended) in this extreme heat parked in full sun. I dread to think what the temperature inside some of those boxes got up to by late afternoon when I left. I just can't believe that a) people would do this to their horses, and b) the organisers would permit it. This is not a county show with minimal facilities, this is an international event at the only equine university in the country and so should be setting the very highest standards of equine welfare. I just don't understand why everyone understands that leaving a dog in a car is unacceptable, yet they leave horses in metal boxes in the sun?

I'm thinking of complaining to Hartpury but would be interested in competing folks' views.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I was at Hartpury yesterday and was horrified to see how many horses were being left on horseboxes in the lorry park (often totally unattended) in this extreme heat parked in full sun. I dread to think what the temperature inside some of those boxes got up to by late afternoon when I left. I just can't believe that a) people would do this to their horses, and b) the organisers would permit it. This is not a county show with minimal facilities, this is an international event at the only equine university in the country and so should be setting the very highest standards of equine welfare. I just don't understand why everyone understands that leaving a dog in a car is unacceptable, yet they leave horses in metal boxes in the sun?

I'm thinking of complaining to Hartpury but would be interested in competing folks' views.

When I was at Gatcombe at the weekend, it was cooler in the horse area of my horsebox than it was outside.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Problem is a lot of centres tell you not to leave horses out of the box/trailer. I was at a centre and was chalking my horses legs outside my trailer and a steward came over and said my horse had to be on the trailer. I pointed out that I couldnt chalk his legs in the trailer and that I was heading to the collecting area as soon as I was done. Got harrumphed at and told when I come back from the collecting area he has to go in the trailer. Told them he would be as I was going home after my classes ?.

Also people don’t clean up after themselves, why should centres have to clean their lorry park after rude people so telling folk to leave their horses in the box/trailer cuts that mess out.

stimpy

Visit site
When I was at Gatcombe at the weekend, it was cooler in the horse area of my horsebox than it was outside.

That's really interesting to know, thanks. I saw a few lorries that looked pretty basic but I guess the well insulated boxes could well be cooler, though temperatures this weekend are much hotter than last weekend (36 forecast for Saturday in Hartpury) and that would test even those. Didn't notice any running and I assumed that anyone with aircon would need to have engines running.

JumpTheMoon1

Visit site
Its a lie - horse boxes get hot and unbearable.Yes make a complaint and ask them if they would like to stand in a metal box with high temperatures outside.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
That's really interesting to know, thanks. I saw a few lorries that looked pretty basic but I guess the well insulated boxes could well be cooler, though temperatures this weekend are much hotter than last weekend (36 forecast for Saturday in Hartpury) and that would test even those. Didn't notice any running and I assumed that anyone with aircon would need to have engines running.

We were surprised, but it was cooler on board than not. Our lorry is silver and very shiny/reflective - I wonder if that helped. We also had all doors and windows open.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Horses have died by being left on a horse box in extreme heat so I wouldn’t leave them unsupervised for any length of time and would make sure they get a regular drink or sloppy feed and came out for a bit.

I think its ridiculous that certai venues expect your horse to stand on a horse box all the time when not being ridden.

teapot

Visit site
Were they waiting for passport checks before unloading into stables?

Hartpury, quite rightly, is notorious for proper passport checks before unloading for biosecuriy reasons, let alone not up to date jabs etc. They’re only running 3* and 4*, so probably the joys of FEI wasn’t helping things move quickly.

Also much easier and safer keeping fit horses on boxes (some would have had aircon), than dancing around on the end of a lead rope…

Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I was thinking the same thing when I was at an equestrian/show centre early yesterday afternoon (not Hartbury). There was junior unaff SJ going on.

The car and lorry park were in full sun and it was intolerable in the heat (29°) even waiting for a few minutes outside to enter the unit I was booked into.

Tbf, there were not many boxes/trailers there, but it would not have been safe to leave a horse on board for more than a handful of minutes.

Heatstroke is not to be messed with.

Leandy

Visit site
It all depends on the horsebox/lorry and the amount of throughflow of air and number of horses in close proximity. I have a very old but (in its day) top of the range/well known make 7.5t. It appears it is well insulated. On a hot day, it is always cooler standing inside the box than it is outside it even in direct sun (and it is big enough that the horse in it is not exposed to direct sun whichever way round the lorry is facing) and I happily leave my horses standing in it on v hot days (inc 30c+ on occasion). It is by far the best and safest place for them to be and on occasion I have joined them when the living has got to hot because I forgot to close the curtains against the sun. So you may be making rash assumptions here. I'm not sure what sort of event was happening at Hartpury yesterday but if it is an international event do you really think the owners/riders have so little idea about welfare that they all willingly leave their horses to boil without adequate supervision??

Michen

Visit site
I was thinking the same thing when I was at an equestrian/show centre early yesterday afternoon (not Hartbury). There was junior unaff SJ going on.

The car and lorry park were in full sun and it was intolerable in the heat (29°) even waiting for a few minutes outside to enter the unit I was booked into.

Tbf, there were not many boxes/trailers there, but it would not have been safe to leave a horse on board for more than a handful of minutes.

Heatstroke is not to be messed with.

Of course it would be safer if it was cooler in the box than outside it? Safer than them standing in the blinding sun and heat anyway! Box depending.

nikkimariet

Visit site
I’d say extreme was 40+ as per a few weeks ago.

Inside of my box was a lot cooler than standing around in the outside yesterday when I was competing.

conniegirl

Visit site
My old horsebox was always beautifully cool inside. Quite a few will have fans in the horse area and some of the posher ones will have AC in horse area.

I’d far rather my horse stood in the shade and cool of that box than the full sun.

My boc was ancient and tatty but in its day had been top of the range.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Most places now say you can't leave unattended even little local shows, we either walk about with ours or don't leave him as he's a pain to load...so getting him to hop on and off after each class would be impossible!

Starzaan

Visit site
Just remember a lot of lorries have air con running. I always used to leave the air con running on my lorry and let the horses stay on there in the cool at competitions on hot days. Much nicer than being tied up in the blazing sun.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Lorries with air con for the horses that runs when parked up is well beyond my pay grade :D! How do you power it without hook up?

My Ifor 510 trailer has a thin single skinned aluminium roof, plus translucent plastic in the nose cone area. It may offer shade, depending on where the sun is, but it has beggar all thermal insulation. I wouldn't have left a horse standing on it in full sun at 29° temps for more than 15 mins max. Time to pop to the loo/secretaries office maybe.

conniegirl

Visit site
Lorries with air con for the horses that runs when parked up is well beyond my pay grade :D! How do you power it without hook up?

My Ifor 510 trailer has a thin single skinned aluminium roof, plus translucent plastic in the nose cone area. It may offer shade, depending on where the sun is, but it has beggar all thermal insulation. I wouldn't have left a horse standing on it in full sun at 29° temps for more than 15 mins max. Time to pop to the loo/secretaries office maybe.

Batteries, generators or just leave the engine running.

gallopingby

Visit site
Another thread written without establishing the facts? If you have a well made properly build box or even trailer with decent lining material it will be much cooler inside than outside standing in the heat. Maybe people need to do their homework and actually stand in their boxes if they don’t know whether or not they will become warm. Perhaps also listen to info about re temperature control ie leave windows closed and curtains blinds as well to stop the heat getting in during the day but open up at night when it’s cooler. ?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Another thread written without establishing the facts? If you have a well made properly build box or even trailer with decent lining material it will be much cooler inside than outside standing in the heat. Maybe people need to do their homework and actually stand in their boxes if they don’t know whether or not they will become warm. Perhaps also listen to info about re temperature control ie leave windows closed and curtains blinds as well to stop the heat getting in during the day but open up at night when it’s cooler. ?

I’d have had exactly the same concerns, and I’m perfectly aware of how boxes/trailers may or may not be affected by the heat.

Is there really anything wrong with raising a concern? It’s either valid, or it’s not.

Nothing wrong with a caring attitude ?

rara007

Visit site
Any lorries that go on the Eurostar have to have fans that run when the engine is off, some of these will be A/C. It almost always stays cooler inside our box than out. We have a thermometer in there that links to the cab to compare with outside temps.