Leaving horses while on holiday.

Ilovemywelshie

Visit site
Seems very spoilt and pathetic but have woken up this morning and can't help but think its a week untill I go on holiday with my oh and 4 children. I already feel sick at the thought of leaving my mares as they are my everything. I'm going to enjoy the quality time with family but I know it's not going to be relaxing running around after 4 under 11. My horses are what keep me sane each day.
They are bieng left in very capable hands with my lovely mum who they know but I still hope they don't think I've left them. (as long as fed they proberly won't care). I know I sound incredibly spoilt but does any one else dislike leaving there horses for holiday? Or enjoy a week or two off ?

Princess Rosie

Visit site
Absolutely hate going on hols and leaving my horses, if OH can get me away (we managed 4 days abroad last year as that was the longest hols I could cope with), I have to ring and text everyday just to make sure everything is ok, not sure why but I'm always permanently worried that something will happen to them if I'm not there! Irrational but just love them all so much. You're not on your own. x

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Go and have a good time! Your horses will be fine, remember it is YOUR holiday too and let your OH run about after the children as well. If they won't find a kids club and have some time to yourself.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I am going away for a week on Sunday, I am the same I start worrying about what could happen and the day we go I start to feel sick and almost feel like not going get myself in a real state, but once I am there I start to feel much better and as long as I stay in contact with my lovely friend who looks after them I manage, I keep mine at home and she comes twice a day as they are out at night and in during the day and it works fine I trust her completely.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You are bound to be apprehensive about not being there for them & you are bound to miss them but they will be looked after well & their routine will remain the same. I would suggest that you will miss them more than they will mss you. Enjoy your holiday, they will be in good hands. :)

wiglet

Visit site
I went on holiday abroad this year - first time in 6 years - and left my mares in the capable hands of a friend. I stressed all the way up to leaving - made lists and spent ages going through every senario with friend and what to do. Guess what... they were fine and both appeared to enjoy their 'holiday' without me. It's natural and normal to panic about leaving them - once you're away you'll be fine - try to relax and enjoy your time away - am sure your mares will!!

risky business

Visit site
I loved getting away from the horses for a week!

I mean gee you spend everyday with them and spend all your money on them why feel bad about treating yourself?

cosmic

New User
Visit site
I'm already spinning out about leaving mine when I go away in January! got 3 weeks in Australia and really looking forwards to it but have had to make arrangements to split my 2 up!! my 7yo is going to my instructor for brat camp for a month and I've got a friend looking after my happy hack as it was easier to get someone to look after him as he doesn't get that much exercise in the winter and potters around the roads or fields a couple of times a week.

I totally get where you are coming from but try to relax and enjoy yourself and the mares sound like they are in very good hands...

Annagain

Visit site
For the sake of your kids if nothing else, you need to relax a bit. Your horses will be fine, Your kids and OH have probably been looking forward to their holiday and to having your undivided attention for a week without you rushing off to the horses every morning and evening. It won't be very nice for them if you spend all your limited time with them preoccupied with the horses.

Your mum brought you up, she can manage a couple of horses. They won't know you've 'left' them. I can be standing in the field with my two and they'll go to a complete stranger if they have food.

Just enjoy you holiday so your kids can enjoy theirs.

Rockman

Visit site
I am currently away for 2 weeks! Have been going through exactly what you're talking about and although my dad has always enjoyed mucking him out twice a day anyway and turns him out in the morning while I am working I have still been reminding him of everything! I have asked my instructor to work him for the time while I'm away and have 2 friends on grooming duty! He knows them all very well and they've all text me everyday with different updates! I have been missing him more than I thought I would as last year when I went away we didn't have a very strong bond to say the least whereas now he is my absolute world! But I am making the most of my holiday and know that he will not be half as phased as I am at me not being around! I was also worries about the flies as he hates them but luckily it's been horrendous weather so I'm happy with that! We devote a ridiculous amount of time to them the rest of the year through and as long as everything is prepared they are always happier than we give them credit for :)

Although I am counting down the days until I am home and also seeing as the OH doesn't understand the horse obsession HHO is giving me my daily dose of horsey talk via Wi Fi at the pool ;)

Ilovemywelshie

Visit site
Thankyou all for your lovely replies yes I'm going to enjoy it and your right the children can have a break from the field. My girlies do think a lot about their tummies so as long as that's kept happy it will be fine. Glad I'm not the only one I suppose if you spend that much time looking after them it's always going to be strange missing out the one of the best bits of your daily routine. Free schooling ;) mum very good at that so might come back to a superstar pony hehe. X

Spotsrock

Visit site
I'm happier knowing my 2 are together as they look out for each other a lot but I don't like leaving them for more than about a week.

Jojo_Pea4

Visit site
When i went away mine went on holiday to a friends field to have two week off i didnt collect him for 2days after as had work and got itchy feet as was desperate to see him. I like to enjoy my time away so tried not to think horses and dogs but did have to text to see how my sister got on at a ode on her new horse.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Crikey, and I thought I was a control freak!

No, I don't worry about the horse when I go away, and I didn't worry when I had 2. I left them in perfectly capable hands, and trusted the yard not to kill them while I was away.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
I used to worry but I don't now. There is more to life than horses, and yes I would be upset if anything happened to them, but I enjoy my holidays and we both need a break.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Holiday?

Actually I have had a break away with my husband, 3 nights in Venice two years ago, and I felt OK. Other than that either my horse comes with me, or I have been to America a few times and left horse with wonderful husband (who does everything with him except ride, on a day to day basis).

I don't feel safe leaving him with someone who does not know him. I may be biased though as I left my horse when I was 19 years old for a week in Spain, with lovely knowledgeable people, in her own livery yard, and she got sick. She had a bad impaction, and nearly died. In fact although she did recover she was never quite the same and was prone to colic after hunting for ever more.

I know it may have happened whether or not I was there, but I don't feel safe to leave him now.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Seems very spoilt and pathetic but have woken up this morning and can't help but think its a week untill I go on holiday with my oh and 4 children. I already feel sick at the thought of leaving my mares as they are my everything. I'm going to enjoy the quality time with family but I know it's not going to be relaxing running around after 4 under 11. My horses are what keep me sane each day.
They are bieng left in very capable hands with my lovely mum who they know but I still hope they don't think I've left them. (as long as fed they proberly won't care). I know I sound incredibly spoilt but does any one else dislike leaving there horses for holiday? Or enjoy a week or two off ?

I worry more about my horses like my mare of a lifetime having lami, I hated leaving her then had to rush back early to her.

But you have to have a break,, I myself am off for two weeks in September. My liveries are doing the yard have all the vet tel and will act accordingly. Its more of a comfort when you keep the yard care/ coverage "in house" as everyone knows the horses and has a vested interest as their horses are on the yard too.

Echo24

Visit site
I'm going away over Christmas for a week and the thought of leaving my pony worries me! Being holiday time he will be handled by different people and I'm hoping he will be fine being a youngster.

Embo

Visit site
Working full time and having a horse to see to twice per day, every day, I fully enjoy my holidays away from it all!

It's the quality time with the OH that I appreciate the most. We both work and he also has hobbies which take up lots of time so we don't spend as much time together as we'd like. Our holidays are the remedy for that. Also a very good opportunity to catch up on some sleep after all the early mornings lol.

I love my horse and couldn't be without him, but I also love my OH. Horse is looked after by the yard and people I trust so I know he will be taken care of in all eventualities.

In all honesty, I worry more about the cats! lol