left bend issues

councillor

Visit site
Hello...looking for a bit of inspiration from you all.
Got a lovely big TB mare for my daughter at the start of the Summer, she is a fab horse and well behaved for my daughter, but had a few issues with her back when we got her as her previous owner had her in too narrow a saddle, then she pulled a shoe and took half her foot with it so had a bit of a sore time with that as well...so apart from a bit of hacking to get her fitness levels up and some lunging to encourage her to stretch over her back, she hasn't done a huge amount of schooling ever, she's a 7yo x racer.
Anyway over the last week we have started to get going with this, daughter kept saying she was finding her hard to get her to soften correctly, and get left bend, it was almost impossible, daughter was tired after a long shift at work so I said I would get on. My god was she right, she did not want to bend left without huge amounts of persuasion!
So on the right rein she does this.
She over bends to the right and runs through your left leg, when you try to correct the over bending she crosses her jaw and tilts her head.
On the left rein
she wants to fall in bend to the right, she is almost deaf to the inside leg, does not want to flex through her rib cage, doesn't tilt her head on this rein but still tries to open mouth (she is in a flash) and cross her jaw.

It is just schooling needed, nothing wrong with her tack, teeth, back (any more) and is sound.
So I was wondering if anyone would have any school exercises that I may not have thought off??? I don't think she is ever going to be a dressage diva,but unfortunately she has to get that bit out the way to do the jumping phases ( she would jump all day!)
Any exercises you can think of would be great so I can keep one step ahead of her and not repeat our work two days in a row xx

maletto

Visit site
I wanted to reply to your post because no one else had! although my suggestions should be taken very much with a pinch because I'm still struggling with the same with my 7YO warmblood who had barely done any proper flatwork before I got him!

The exercises we've been working on and found most effective include: loads if serpentines up and down the school, 10m loops in from the track making sure to ask for the correct bend, keeping a firm outside rein on both reins and going large but with 10m circles at each letter. I've been working mostly in trot because I find trying to keep the rhythm helps by having something other than correct bend to think about (I can get fixated!) also flexing alternately outside/inside whilst on a 20m circle helps soften. good luck

be positive

Visit site
The first thing is to work on getting her straight going evenly forward into both reins, she is stiff laterally especially on her right side so finds it hard to stretch the muscles on the right, finding flexing left very difficult. Carrot stretches would help her loosen up and bend more easily.
Work over poles on the ground will help with straightness, hill work out hacking to build up muscles in general, little and often schooling trying not to force the issue of bending, she finds it hard so try to do things she finds easy.

Exercises I find helpful, trot down the long side, walk onto a 10 m circle at A or C then trot on to the other end and repeat, gradually take less walk steps once she is finding it easier to flex correctly in walk on each rein until you can remain in trot and also do the circles at E and B.
Serpentines on a similar theme, walking a 10 m in every loop, until you again reduce the walk and can do them in trot, always aiming to make life fairly easy for her until she gains confidence and muscles to carry herself.

councillor

Visit site
Thanks for your reply's guys. I shall try some of those exercises.
We have been doing loads of hacking, and hills are no problem for us as every hack here has a hill or two!! May try carrot stretches, cant think why I never thought of that!
any other ideas anyone??? x

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Agree with be positive but I would also give her something to guide her in the school, so use bending poles/cones etc so that she can see where you want her to go, which should help her to respond to your aids.

Visit site
IME lots of people who genuinely care for their horses as you so obviously do :) have a back person out a few times and get things corrected and then assume the back is good to go. This is so so often not the case. If a horse has had back problems it usually has had massive effects on the rest of the body as well. I have seen and taught many where the owners are still struggling with the horse even tho they tell me ' the back has been done and they are now fine'. Upon further investigation using a different form of therapy, we swear by shiatsu, they find the horse actually still has problems caused by the previous back issue and is still in pain.

Obviously I don't know how much therapy you have given the horse, but just a thought, maybe have another look as that sounds like quite a severe reaction from the horse not to flex left. Hope this helps. :)

councillor

Visit site
Thank you, her back is getting looked at every month at the moment. Other horse has had surgery so as part of her recovery I have regular checks, so we just kept an eye on the new girl as well as she is changing shape.Even the farrier has said that he is feeling her much fee'er when he asks her to lift her legs.
I think part of the problem is we ride her so differently from previous owner, she rode very much with the hand...I hate that..I want her to come off the leg more and ride her with the seat into a lighter contact. She will bend if you pull, but only from the neck not through her ribs. its not nice and any judge would crucify us for that!!
We have worked her over poles, and she comes alive when she see's them and looks fantastic, such a natural extension, but I will also use some cones to ask her to bend round them too along with the poles, see if I can use her enjoyment of pole work to encourage her to flex more x